Swapping PS3 for dedicated Blu Ray player/streamer?

I currently have a PS3 which is ok for streaming from my NAS/PC/router, but it does tend to be a bit fussy about file formats etc. I've tried the PS3 media player for the PC, but I'm looking for a simplified all in one soultion that doesn't require any third party software.

I have several sources from which I stream, as mentioned above. What I've been looking at is getting a Blu ray player that plays all the formats and has a decent inbuilt browser.
This way I can just play whatever from wherever without messing about transferring files around or transcoding them.

Has anyone any experience of this, if so is it worth the effort of flogging my PS3 (Hardly ever used for games) and switching to a dedicated high quality Blu Ray player?

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Surely you are going to need a streaming tool/software to be able to transfer content via wi fi to the bluray player?

Have you tried Windows Media Player, you can a codec pack add on to cover the files not originally supported.

Another alternative is to use a flash drive or external hard drive with a compatible player, this is what my son does, copies everything to the external drive then just connects it to the player, it's played every file thrown at it.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The streaming software is built into the NAS, Router and as you've mentioned Windows 7 Media Player.
    As I've explained above, I want to do away with all the copying business as I've been doing that.

If I can find a decent wi-fi Blu Ray that plays all the streamed formats without added software being required, (Samsung all Play is an example) then that would be better than what I have now.

I just want an all -in one solution that simply works across all/most popular formats.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP needs a Blu-ray player with a dlna client capability.

See

http://www.dlna.org/dlna-for-industry/digital-living/certified-products/dvd-blu-ray-players