Want Sky but no BT line

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Newbie here - looking to move from freeview to Sky.
I was after a Virgin bundle for tv, phone , broadband but as I'm not with BT, I would have needed a new phone number which I didn't want. My telephone provider is Talk Talk ( it was OneTel when I left BT). Bradband thru Orange.
All Sky's material refers to needing a BT line also. Does that mean I can't get the tv/ phone/ broadband bundle frm Sky either ?
And if I elect for just Sky TV only, do they need to install some other type of line to pass data between me and them..?
Would I be better just going back to BT..?

thanks in advance...
WW

Comments

• mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't need bt line, a virgin line will do.

if you pay £25 extra to sky you don't need a phone line at all
  • Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your telephone provider is TalkTalk, then you should have a BT Line, as TalkTalk don't provide lines, BT do. TalkTalk is just your phone operator, it's still BT's network. BT Line or not though, Sky are happy to install without. If you have a Virgin Line (just about the only alternative to a BT Line), you can connect the Sky Box to the Virgin line as if it were a BT Line. If you have no phone at all, provided you aren't getting Sky Multiroom, you can pay £25 extra to get out the 12 month phone line connection requirement.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only need a "BT Line" if you want to get Sky Broadband and/or Sky Talk.

If you just want Sky TV any phone line will do - including a Virgin Media line or any BT based provider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As previous op's said. for TV you dont need a BT line. any phone line that works will do.

But if you want the phone and broadband from Sky. you'll need to get your talktalk line back over to BT as they are physically the same thing, but its just TalkTalk have it just now.

then once BT have it active under them, Sky can place the phone and broadband order.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    wah_wah wrote: »
    Newbie here - looking to move from freeview to Sky.
    I was after a Virgin bundle for tv, phone , broadband but as I'm not with BT, I would have needed a new phone number which I didn't want. My telephone provider is Talk Talk ( it was OneTel when I left BT). Bradband thru Orange.
    All Sky's material refers to needing a BT line also. Does that mean I can't get the tv/ phone/ broadband bundle frm Sky either ?
    And if I elect for just Sky TV only, do they need to install some other type of line to pass data between me and them..?
    Would I be better just going back to BT..?

thanks in advance...
    WW

If all you are after is Sky Digital TV, then any working phone line will do, it's never been a requirement it has to be BT.

If you are having just the single box, once the installer has gone you can disconnect from the line if you wish.

Sky go on about a BT line as this is for them to offer their broadband or phone service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    You can even get skyplus now without a phoneline, just 25 pounds extra...go for it. You will never regret it.