Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB Device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port

GMAKAIWTYGMAKAIWTY Posts: 2,778
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This happened to me today at work with my memory stick when I put it into my computer.

I am now at home and I can't find my work on my memory stick. Have I lost it all?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on if the memory chip has fried but its going to possibly be an expensive or at least painful job un-soldering the chip and placing it on an identical stick but it does depend as i said on whats blown so theres no guarantee and unless you're an expert in electronics who can do sub 1mm solders on possibly 2-300 legs i'd be looking to get a professional opinion on the matter and quite a few places do free diagnostics but will charge for any fixes
  • GMAKAIWTYGMAKAIWTY Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Depends on if the memory chip has fried but its going to possibly be an expensive or at least painful job un-soldering the chip and placing it on an identical stick but it does depend as i said on whats blown so theres no guarantee and unless you're an expert in electronics who can do sub 1mm solders on possibly 2-300 legs i'd be looking to get a professional opinion on the matter and quite a few places do free diagnostics but will charge for any fixes

:eek: Oh bugger LOL.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, if anything, happens when you plug it into a PC/Laptop. Does it appear as a drive? If so can you see any files or folders on it?

If there are signs of files and folders then the stick is possibly not damaged beyond repair. If however it is not recognised at all then it is probably cream crackered. If it is recognised but does not appear to have any files on it then it may just be corrupted. In that case might be worth running something like Recuva file recovery software over it and see what that reveals.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i wouldn't run any recovery software on it just yet as we don't know whats wrong and if there is something wrong with the drive you could do more harm than good and since this is probably the OP's only copy of the data lets not run risky stuff too soon, its probably better to spend a few quid getting it looked at properly and having a real diagnosis than us just guessing and telling the OP to run various bits of software and hoping it works
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG I found paper stuffed right down into my memory stick.

I wonder if when I put it in my computer it has got paper stuck in it and pushed it right in when I put it into my works PC?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMAKAIWTY wrote: »

I wonder if when I put it in my computer it has got paper stuck in it and pushed it right in when I put it into my works PC?

So is it readable now that you've removed the paper?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    So is it readable now that you've removed the paper?

Yes it is.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMAKAIWTY wrote: »

If there was a sheet of paper in the way then entirely possible. If it got between the contacts in the stick and the socket then that would prevent an electrical connection so it could look as though it was dead.