What exactly is 'Next-Gen'?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've heard a lot of talk about how its time for the next gen and then PS4 and New Xbox will be 'true' next gen and that the WiiU isn't really next gen and other such arguments on the internet

But i have no solid information on what next gen actually means, does it mean better graphics? does it mean running smooth at 60fps in 3D?

Its just a confusing matter to me, isn't the next generation just the next line of consoles release regardless of what is under the hood?

Comments

• Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Pretty much means whatever you want it to mean at the time that you use it, rendering it almost meaningless.

Regards

Mark
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii U is next gen to the Wii

Whatever Sony and MS bring out will be next gen to the 360 and PS3.

Doesn't really mean that much in terms of games, they'll be much the same as what were playing now, just more pixels, gives devs an easier time tho, less time spend trying to shoehorn ever bigger games into the tiny memories of the 360 and PS3.

Next gen to me means a new toy to mess with and that's always exciting !!
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member
    It's a new e-peen to wave around like a giant pole flying the flag of your favorite console manufacturer.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Next-Gen" will be the 8th, apparently. WiiU, Xbox720 and PS4. Though, becasue the WiiU uses 7th Gen tech it's got folk all over teh interwebs raving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_consoles
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of talk about how its time for the next gen and then PS4 and New Xbox will be 'true' next gen and that the WiiU isn't really next gen and other such arguments on the internet

But i have no solid information on what next gen actually means, does it mean better graphics? does it mean running smooth at 60fps in 3D?

Its just a confusing matter to me, isn't the next generation just the next line of consoles release regardless of what is under the hood?

That's what I think. People have arbitrarily assigned specs of what constitutes as a next-gen console.

I really hate the term "true next-gen". Next-gen should just mean the generation that follows the current one. Microsoft and Sony are still in their 7th generation, Nintendo are in their 8th generation and have thus began the next generation of consoles.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

Next Gen will generally entail a significant technical leap, 60fps is not a necessity and I'm pretty sure it won't be the standard.

Things that will be improved will include better textures, higher resolution, larger more complex worlds, better physics and AI. A generational leap is not only limited to this but also new ways to play games as seen with the Wii and Wii U. It's not strictly down to one thing but a combination of them all is what has distinguished one generation from another in the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good way of describing next-gen is to use home cinema as an example.

VHS became DVD became Blu-ray...with each offering something new and improved. The next-gen for home cinema will probably be something like UHDTV. Sure it's not fool-proof (Laserdisc, Betamax, etc.), but it's a good way of explaining what next-gen means. For me, the Wii U is kinda like HD-DVD....it's kinda next-gen, but as soon as the new Sony and Microsoft offerings are released, it'll quickly seem fairly dated.

Basically, next-gen should mean an advancement in technology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    A good way of describing next-gen is to use home cinema as an example.

VHS became DVD became Blu-ray...with each offering something new and improved. The next-gen for home cinema will probably be something like UHDTV. Sure it's not fool-proof (Laserdisc, Betamax, etc.), but it's a good way of explaining what next-gen means. For me, the Wii U is kinda like HD-DVD....it's kinda next-gen, but as soon as the new Sony and Microsoft offerings are released, it'll quickly seem fairly dated.

Basically, next-gen should mean an advancement in technology.

Well I was using Bet ato the death then VERY EARLY DVD adopter.

Yes it was possible to not use Vhs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next-Gen is a buzz phrase designed to sell the next lot of consoles.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It's a marketing term and therefore without any real meaning, and only designed to try and convince you that what you currently have is now inferior.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a perfectly straightforward way of pigeon-holing successive iterations of console design, which worked fine in the days of uncomplicated 8-bit>16-bit>32-bit machines.

These days the lines are somewhat blurred, but it is funny that Nintendo thought they could get away with 'old' tech under the bonnet for the second successive generation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a perfectly straightforward way of pigeon-holing successive iterations of console design, which worked fine in the days of uncomplicated 8-bit>16-bit>32-bit machines.

These days the lines are somewhat blurred, but it is funny that Nintendo thought they could get away with 'old' tech under the bonnet for the second successive generation.

Old tech? its in line with PS3 and 360 which are running at their best and these are only the launch line of games, surely after seven years the WiiU will improve or are you saying we have already seen the best of the WiiU
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old tech? its in line with PS3 and 360 which are running at their best and these are only the launch line of games, surely after seven years the WiiU will improve or are you saying we have already seen the best of the WiiU

If it's "in line with" the 360 (2005) and PS3 (2006), then surely it is "old tech", especially as we'll most likely be seeing the third Xbox and the PS4 within the next year?

Shouldn't Nintendo have tried to jump ahead of the "current generation", instead of just finally matching it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    If it's "in line with" the 360 (2005) and PS3 (2006), then surely it is "old tech", especially as we'll most likely be seeing the third Xbox and the PS4 within the next year?

Shouldn't Nintendo have tried to jump ahead of the "current generation", instead of just finally matching it?

I meant in line as in the best PS3 and 360 offer is the worst the WiiU offer, so how is that a bad thing?

I was never a supporter of the Wii but i'm starting to see how it most of felt being a Wii fan, constantly being told its the worst in this case its the worst even though its competitors aren't even out yet

Another question let's say for now (as we have no specs nobody knows if the PS4 and new xbox better) that it turns out the WiiU is the worst console and examine what that means

Did the best console in technical terms out of the PS1 and N64 win that generation? No

Did the best console in technical terms out of the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube win the generation? No

Did the best console in technical terms out of the PS3, 360 and Wii win this generation? No

So why are people so obsessed with the fact the WiiU might not be technically up to scratch

(by win the generation i mean sell the most)
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    "Next-Gen" is a pretty meaningless phrase just like "Hard-Core Gamer".

Personally I would say the next gen is what comes after the present consoles the Wii-U isn't next gen because it's now available to buy. Once it goes on sale it's not "Next-Gen" it's "Present-Gen"
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

The Wii U is more powerful - it's just Nintendo use it in a different way. Even if it was only capable of Xbox 360-level graphics, the Wii U can produce those graphics while rendering and wirelessly streaming a completely different image to a second screen at the same time, with practically zero lag.

That's not an easy feat - certainly, no other console has done that before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    The Wii U is more powerful - it's just Nintendo use it in a different way. Even if it was only capable of Xbox 360-level graphics, the Wii U can produce those graphics while rendering and wirelessly streaming a completely different image to a second screen at the same time, with practically zero lag.

That's not an easy feat - certainly, no other console has done that before

This i have to disagree with, you just have to look at cross controller/play feature of the PS3/Vita to see that sony has already done the dual screen experience with zero lag

Just look at little big planet 2 for proof and more games with follow
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This i have to disagree with, you just have to look at cross controller/play feature of the PS3/Vita to see that sony has already done the dual screen experience with zero lag

Just look at little big planet 2 for proof and more games with follow

But the thing is, you have to buy two systems to do that. (And Vita, after all, is the same gen as the Wii U.) The PS3 can't do it all by itself.
  • kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As said already its next generation. I've heard talk that tessellation is to be the main difference as far as graphics go but a good gfx card on a pc is already there.

PC Gaming is usually always ahead of consoles in that regard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »

That's not an easy feat - certainly, no other console has done that before.
    One game that does this very well is Black Ops 2.

Rather than having two players having to view some horrendous aspect ratio crazy-thin portion of the TV, one plays on the TV and one uses the Game Pad.

Great, you might think. Look how powerful the Wii U is managing to run two instances at once.

But actually it does so by removing a lot of features. Reduced lighting effects, no dynamic shadowing etc.

As for lag. There is lag. When Nintendo said zero lag they were referring to data transfer, not the rendering for the Game Pad. And that is from Iwata himself.

Some people seem to get it confused with the screen on the Game Pad having no lag, but there will be. The Vita on the other hand has an OLED screen, and OLED has no input lag.

Oh - and as for what is next-gen. Just the next version of product. Not defined by its output (or input if you take cartridges, discs etc).
  • 0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    As for lag. There is lag. When Nintendo said zero lag they were referring to data transfer, not the rendering for the Game Pad. And that is from Iwata himself.

Some people seem to get it confused with the screen on the Game Pad having no lag, but there will be.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Wii-U/Wii-U-Wii-U-GamePad/5-A-More-Attractive-TV/5-A-More-Attractive-TV-654211.html
    The Wii U GamePad displays so quickly, and because many of the newer televisions have latency due to their video processing components, that there are times when the Wii U GamePad will display images faster than the television that is actually connected by a cable. So if you play on the Wii U GamePad, whatever the game, there won’t be any noticeable delay and you can operate it more comfortably.

http://nintendoeverything.com/101946/ubisoft-wii-u-gamepad-tech-more-advanced-than-people-may-think-crazy-response-time-low-latency/
    Ubisoft wrote:
    And I think this is where Nintendo is really out in front of things. The technology inside the controller is quite a bit more advanced than what people might think. It’s really responsive. The response time is crazy, in fact, and I think the competitors will need some time to [get their solutions] this responsive.

“It’s crazy because the game is running in full HD [on the television], we are streaming another picture on the GamePad screen, and it’s still 60 frames per second. And the latency on the controller is just 1/60 of a second, so it’s one frame late. It’s crazy, it’s so fast. It’s almost instant. That’s why it responds so well. So it can be used as a real game-design thing.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the Wii U is comes under the title of an 8th Gen console, it does currently have very similar specs to that of XBOX360 and PS3, however, Nintendo thought of this whilst making it, and to a degree have made it future proof, so it can constantly be upgraded, which was a major problem with the Wii, as it had limited internet facilities and was in SD.

Iwata has said the Wii U is capable of producing 3D images, however not enough people own 3D televisions to justify Nintendo focusing solely on that at the moment, but it will be a function that is lying dormant at the moment under the hood.

Where all GCN capabilities have been removed from Wii U, Nintendo have said that as it stands at the moment, they will continue on using the Wii franchise on future consoles, such as Wii discs and Wii remotes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0lly wrote: »
    Quite correct.

TVs have very, very high input lag these days. Which is why there are Game Modes on most TVs now, because playing a game can be a dire experience without it because of the amount of post-processing they do.

The Game Pad doesn't need to do any of this as it is just for gaming, it isn't for watching sports and it isn't 50" big so it hasn't got to do any fancy stuff with the image.

However. Nothing of what you have quoted there has any relevance to what I was saying.

It still has input lag.

It might have quite low input lag for LCD standards, but it is an LCD screen, but it will have lag. Whether or not that lag is smaller or larger than a potential TV set does not matter.

It. Has. Lag.

All LCD screens have it.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It simply means the next generation of consoles, it's not exactly hard to figure out. It's not a buzz word, it's been used for years to refer to the next generation of consoles.

While it is true Nextbox and PS4 will have much better hardware, Nintendo hopes to win in the software stakes, like they did with the original Wii.

Nintendo however have made a mistake with this generation, with the name of the Console, they've simply not made it clear enough that its the Wii 2 and not just another new controller. Xbox and PS4 will likely be the more popular consoles in the next gen, not just because of 'graphics', but because of the power behind the consoles, I'm interested in seeing how Xbox tackles the problem of blu ray.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It simply means the next generation of consoles, it's not exactly hard to figure out. It's not a buzz word, it's been used for years to refer to the next generation of consoles.

^This!

Having said that though, given the time between each generation it's inevitable that there are going to be improvements over the previous one so that's where people start to get the stats out.