Anniversary Games Event Timing. Worth Going Early?

carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The event times on the British Athletics site have very early opening times relative to the time of the actual event. Take the Friday for example - IIRC they say the doors open at 4PM, but that the first event isn't until 6:55.

Would there be any point in going early? What time are others planning to go?

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Define early?
    You have 65,000 peopl trying to get in...best mot to all turn up at 6pm.
    The gates last year got you on the food/drink/concession concourse.
    So if your spending on food 4pm on a sunny day...photos etc
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But when I I Went to the Stadium last time, there were no excessively long queues, even for the prime athletics. I think I went about an hour before and don't recall the Stadium being open long before that - certainly not 3 hours before. I was wondering what's different this time.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But when I I Went to the Stadium last time, there were no excessively long queues, even for the prime athletics. I think I went about an hour before and don't recall the Stadium being open long before that - certainly not 3 hours before. I was wondering what's different this time.

But they did tell everyone to turn up 2-2 & a half hours before though, even though it wasn't really necessary - I guess they would just prefer if everyone didn't turn up at the same time.

The spectator guide e-mailed today indicated there was an exhibition & some sponsor stalls - nothing to keep you occupied for 3 hours I suspect. Not sure but I get the impression we won't be able to wander around the park, even those parts that are opening up to the public on monday.

Turning up an hour before will be fine I'm sure.
  • Spiros_RedSpiros_Red Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly won't be able to wander around the park, email today seemed very clear about sticking to signed route & following instructions from "helpers". Like already mentioned there are a few things going on but not that much. I'm going on the sunday, looking forward to it, not been back since those 2 amazing saturdays last year.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Spiros_Red wrote: »
    Certainly won't be able to wander around the park, email today seemed very clear about sticking to signed route & following instructions from "helpers". Like already mentioned there are a few things going on but not that much. I'm going on the sunday, looking forward to it, not been back since those 2 amazing saturdays last year.

Take it from me. Dont get there too early unless you are planning to eat in Westfields.
  • bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Take it from me. Dont get there too early unless you are planning to eat in Westfields.

How come? Going on Sunday and was wondering if try have stalls like last year and stuff to eat?
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bb2011fan wrote: »
    How come? Going on Sunday and was wondering if try have stalls like last year and stuff to eat?

They do have food stalls and there's plenty by the way but its not like the Olympics where you could walk around the park, sit by the river or on the grass and visit concession stands. If you want to sit down and eat once inside you pretty much have to do that at your seat in the stadium.