Citroen Saxo radio code

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently bougth a 52 reg citroen saxo which had a cd player installed, I took it out to put my own one in purely because my own one has an mp3 playing function.

At the weekend my own one stopped working so I put the old one back in, however it has a code which I do not know. I have looked in the manual and the previous owner has not written the code on it. I've contacted the garage I bought it from but as it's not a main citroen dealer they can't give me the code.

Is there anything I can do? It's horrible not having music in the car :(

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you'd be better contacting your local main Citroen dealer.

As long as you have all the vehicle documents, to prove the car is yours, then you'll be ok.

It's probably just a few minutes of a job in the garage, for which you'll have to pay £300 for the privilege. Good luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm I'm not really prepared to pay anything for it! I think I should have been given it when I bought the car.

I know I did remove the stereo but the same thing would have happened if I had changed the battery, I would have needed the code eventually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it will cheaper in the long run to buy another radio that works than pay to retrieve the code from Citroen. They'll certainly charge you for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere they only charge you something in the region of £10, I would be willing to pay that. Might phone them later and ask.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well contact the dealer anyway. Speak to Service Reception and ask if the original 52 reg owners would have been given the radio code. If they all routinely got the code, then ask where it should be.

Then get in touch with the second hand car dealer that sold you the car and demand the code. If they haven't got it, or claim they don't (to fob you off - as you've now given them the money and that's the end of it for them), then demand they get in touch with the previous owner to get it.

If that's unsuccessful then warn them that you will take it to the local Citroen dealer and then charge them the bill. However before this point try and persuade them to foot the bill, before threatening them. You might find that they will ask why it has stopped working. I wouldn't mention anything about taking it out though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks. I'll try the citroen garage first, then phone the garage I bought from once I find out more info.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give the original selling citreon garage a ring, their number should be in the hand book, if they're any good it will be on their records of the car.
    Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmp wrote: »
    Give the original selling citreon garage a ring, their number should be in the hand book, if they're any good it will be on their records of the car.
    Dave

Cheers
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK.. you'll need to go back to the original suppying dealer of the car and they'll have the code for you. you may need to fax over your log book. if you look in the service book, there will be a dealer stamp that states where it was originally supplied from.

as for you not being given the code when you bought the car 2nd hand... tough... you didn't request it, and the 2nd hand dealer doesn't have to supply it to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »
    OK.. you'll need to go back to the original suppying dealer of the car and they'll have the code for you. you may need to fax over your log book. if you look in the service book, there will be a dealer stamp that states where it was originally supplied from.

as for you not being given the code when you bought the car 2nd hand... tough... you didn't request it, and the 2nd hand dealer doesn't have to supply it to you.

Ok, thanks for that!
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    If it's the original CD player, maybe you don't need to do anything?

I had a Golf and removed the VW radio and put in my own MP3 player for about 2 years. When I came to sell the car I took the MP3 player out and put the original equipment back in. After I powered it on, it asked for a PIN but for some reason it never accepted it so I just switched it off and left it plugged in. After a day or so it worked fine.

Don't know if this will be the same with your Saxo, but leaving it a couple of days connected up wont cost you anything to see if it works on it's own?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem and simply phoned my local citroen dealer. They told me I had to come in and there would be a charge of £10. I went in with my documents and dirvers licence and it took the guy 1 minute to look it up and he didn't charge me. Maybe you'll be as lucky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to get my Saxo's radio code. I rang the dealer and didn't get charged anything and they were able to tell me right away :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I will have to wait until payday (friday) before I do anything but I will try leaving it connected in the meantime to see if that does anything.