Hatfields & McCoys - 3 Pt Miniseries

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a 6 hour miniseries (4 and a half without ads) that aired over 3 nights on the History Channel earlier this week in the U.S.. It starred Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton, Powers Boothe (always good to see him again) and Tom Berenger (almost unrecognizeable).

Apparently it broke a basic cable viewing record in the U.S. with roughly 14 million households watching. Every kid in America knows the legendary story of the infamous feud. And it has been a part of pop culture for a long time. You'll hear references to it in any number of cartoons, TV shows and films.

Anyway the miniseries wasn't bad. I had a little trouble getting into it because I'm not into that time period but once the story got rolling I was ok. Part 1 was a bit slow but it got better after that.

Has this aired in the UK yet? It will be released on DVD & Blu ray on July 31 in North America.

Here's the LINK to the miniseries website.

Comments

• tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    thought it was really dreadfull tbh, lasted about 30 mins , didnt see any likable characters ;]
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meh didn't like it
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contains gratuitous spitting and overacting.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Densino wrote: »
    meh didn't like it

LOL...I felt the same way about Downton Abbey. Talk about overrated. :p
  • jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    i loved it. cannot wait for the dvd.
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this in the US, I don't think this needs spoilers as it's made perfectly clear in the publicity what is going to happen. I think it was a waste of an excellent cast and story. I know it's based on real events and had to stick to the facts but the first episode was way too slow and I think a lot of people might not have tuned in for the remaining episodes as a result. It concentrated more on the senseless killings which appeared to happen with little motive or build up. Now this may have been how it was but without having any emotional investment in either family it was hard for the viewer to actually give a damn about any of them. On the positive side it had rare glimpses of the warts and all fascination that the brilliant and much missed Deadwood had, Powers Booth being in both was an added bonus. I've never watched a program about so many real deaths and yet felt so little sympathy.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Seabird wrote: »
    I know it's based on real events and had to stick to the facts but the first episode was way too slow and I think a lot of people might not have tuned in for the remaining episodes as a result.

You talk as if you are unaware that the ratings were HUGE for ALL three episodes in the US. People did not stop watching after the first episode. I thought the whole thing was rivetting, a great piece of work. Not surprised if UK people can't get interested in it. Scarcely anybody in the UK has even heard about the feud that every American school child learns about, so there is no appreciation of the history. Americans would be equally bored by something from 19th century British history that Brits consider important, like the Peterloo Massacre.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    You talk as if you are unaware that the ratings were HUGE for ALL three episodes in the US. People did not stop watching after the first episode. I thought the whole thing was rivetting, a great piece of work. Not surprised if UK people can't get interested in it. Scarcely anybody in the UK has even heard about the feud that every American school child learns about, so there is no appreciation of the history. Americans would be equally bored by something from 19th century British history that Brits consider important, like the Peterloo Massacre.
    Yes, I rather feel Channel 5 will have their work cut out trying to sell this one to UK audiences for that very reason, but I for one look forward to seeing it. :)
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Yes, I rather feel Channel 5 will have their work cut out trying to sell this one to UK audiences for that very reason, but I for one look forward to seeing it. :)

Kevin Costner was once a movie star, so that alone might draw in some viewers (frankly, I am sure he played a role in the fantastic American ratings), but, yes, the subject matter itself probably couldn't be less interesting to a UK audience. Kevin Costner is probably the only reason Channel 5 bought the show.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Supposed to be showing mid-September on Channel 5 so where is it?

Maybe they'll show it now after the Emmy wins.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Maybe they'll air it on sunday evenings in late Autumn, or keep it until Christmas?
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    It has some big movie stars ( Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton, Tom Berenger, Powers Boothe ) but i just could,nt get past the first episode, did'nt grip me, i know it's history is a big thing in the U.S but 'us Brits' wont get it unless we look up the background before watching it, if your into American Civil war or American background then watch with pleasure.
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Supposed to be showing mid-September on Channel 5 so where is it?

Maybe they'll show it now after the Emmy wins.
    It features in their current trailer for the autumn season of programmes.

It won't be long now. They probably waited so they could put 'Emmy award winning' on the advert!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I thought it got bumped to 5USA....
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Supposed to be showing mid-September on Channel 5 so where is it?QUOTE]

According to Geektown sometime in October !
    Forum Member
    I thought it got bumped to 5USA....
    Repeats on 5USA, first run on C5. No idea where it will end up in the schedule!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Repeats on 5USA, first run on C5. No idea where it will end up in the schedule!!
    From yourself on the Ratings Thread:
    5USA will once again show highlights of The (64th) Primetime Emmy Awards on Monday 24th September at 10pm. Also confirmed that one of the shows heavily nominated - Hatfields & McCoys - will air exclusively on 5USA as opposed to Channel 5.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1731042&page=11
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starts tonight on C5. My planner is already busy so I'm recording the repeats on Sundays at 11pm.

Would have used Demand 5 on Sky to get it, but after reading some reviews I think I might need subtitles, as some of the dialogue is hard to understand!!
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Starts tonight on C5. My planner is already busy so I'm recording the repeats on Sundays at 11pm.

Would have used Demand 5 on Sky to get it, but after reading some reviews I think I might need subtitles, as some of the dialogue is hard to understand!!

Yeah Thursday night is really busy with a lot of recordings at the same time or clashes. I have to work round it with my 2 freeview boxes and use +1 channels!
  • BruciesToupeBruciesToupe Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this last night, and soo glad stuck with it, as was gripped by the end. Looking forward to next week..

Had a great cast (lots of British Actors ... Micheal Greco included ???%$£$^), lots of star spotting.

and yes.. lots of spitting!
  • thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I agree with BruciesToupe. I was also surprised to see Sarah Parish as Levicy Hatfield.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,147
    Forum Member
    I wanted to watch this what channel's it on? Partly as I read the cast list theres a few x EE cast I wanna play spot them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    nats18 wrote: »
    I wanted to watch this what channel's it on? Partly as I read the cast list theres a few x EE cast I wanna play spot them.

It was on Channel 5.
  • BruciesToupeBruciesToupe Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next Thurs 9pm!

enjoy !