who has a nexus 5?

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
im deciding between an iphone 5c and the nexus 5. this is the only android im considering, i was thinking the note 3 but after having the note 1 for so long i am sick to death of samsung bloatware. the lg g2 os looks ugly before anyone recommends that too.

so, how is the nexus 5. battery life and camera being my main concerns?

Comments

• mickwallmickwall Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I don't have one, but all the reports (and what owners have told me) is that the Camera is on the poor side.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one and aside from the camera which has issues with auto focusing (fixed in upcoming update) I would definitely recommend one as for the price you simply cannot go wrong.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people so much emphasis on phone cameras?? If you want a camera to take high quality photos buy a camera
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    charger21 wrote: »
    Why do people so much emphasis on phone cameras?? If you want a camera to take high quality photos buy a camera

why do people think they can tell other people what to do? why do people think they know better than an individual what that individual wants.

seriously what is that about?
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    im deciding between an iphone 5c and the nexus 5. this is the only android im considering, i was thinking the note 3 but after having the note 1 for so long i am sick to death of samsung bloatware. the lg g2 os looks ugly before anyone recommends that too.

so, how is the nexus 5. battery life and camera being my main concerns?

I have an N5.

the battery is fine. it has never not lasted a full day. even playing real racing 3. on stand by with bluetooth, wifi on checking email in the back ground it uses less than 1% an hour.

if you are considering the 5C then presumably it's because it's £100 less than the 5S.

in that context the fact that the N5 is £200 less than the 5C must also be pertinent.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Unless you simply must have ios I genuinely struggle to see why someone would pay £170 more for an iPhone 5C than a Nexus 5. I'm not convinced the 5C is actually any better than a Motorola Moto G at £160 fgs!
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I have a nexus 5. Coming from a galaxy nexus the battery life is incredible. The camera is pretty good too. If that gets improved in software updates I'll be even happier :)

I'd struggle to go back to a little screen to be honest. Especially if paying almost double for the privilege :) (maybe not double but ....)
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Unless you simply must have ios I genuinely struggle to see why someone would pay £170 more for an iPhone 5C than a Nexus 5. I'm not convinced the 5C is actually any better than a Motorola Moto G at £160 fgs!

Why would anyone buy a nexus 5, why not just get the moto g?
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Why would anyone buy a nexus 5, why not just get the moto g?

There's a case for that as well, I guess. But, unlike the 5C, the Nexus 5 is definitely a notable step up spec-wise to the Moto G. That's the point I was making...and I did stipulate 'unless you simply must have ios' in my post.

In such circumstances, perhaps you could highlight where the £300+ extra you would need to spend on the 5C as opposed to the Moto G has gone?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    why do people think they can tell other people what to do? why do people think they know better than an individual what that individual wants.

It's a fair point, phone cameras are still pretty much pants when compared with a decent dedicated digital camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a case for that as well, I guess. But, unlike the 5C, the Nexus 5 is definitely a notable step up spec-wise to the Moto G. That's the point I was making...and I did stipulate 'unless you simply must have ios' in my post.

In such circumstances, perhaps you could highlight where the £300+ extra you would need to spend on the 5C as opposed to the Moto G has gone?

How would I do that. I haven't a clue how much each cost to produce and how much profit each make from the device.

However, apart from the screen, I can't see any specs that match or where the moto g is better.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 5 may be an big empirical upgrade from the Nexus 4 or moto g but in reality you see very little difference in real world usage.
    Forum Member
    How would I do that. I haven't a clue how much each cost to produce and how much profit each make from the device.

However, apart from the screen, I can't see any specs that match or where the moto g is better.

To be fair you will find plenty of details online regarding apples preference to keep profit margins higher than most :)

I suspect the 'profit' on an iPhone would (at very least) buy you a moto g so I think you can safely assume the profit is higher :)

The moto g does look like a great deal (thinking of getting one for my dad). Surely even the staunchest apple buyer would admit that it looks like incredible value for money when put next to a 5c (or 5s) !

Same as it looks great value for money next to an s3, or even an s4 !
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    The Nexus 5 may be an big empirical upgrade from the Nexus 4 or moto g but in reality you see very little difference in real world usage.

The moto g looks like a great package tbh. With many of these phones we are now talking tiny real world performance gains to be fair. There are a few reasons I'm happier with my nexus 5 - but its a close call really.
    Forum Member

RAM? Storage?

But you've answered a question I didn't ask ;) Which tends to suggest you are struggling to answer my question (as evidenced by the cop out in the first paragraph).

Give it another go - are there any components in the 5C that you estimate cost 3x the cost of the equivalent components in the Moto G, given the fact that the 5C is almost 3x the price of the equivalent Moto G? Speaking as a layman, obviously. :D

PS The display is generally speaking the highest cost hardware component in a mobile.
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »

that is true of all phones. it's true of most things in general.

Spend £70k on a BMW and functionally it's only a slight upgrade from a £1000 second hand focus.

the best value house you can get is probably the cheapest. it will still keep you dry and give you somewhere to sleep.

the nexus 5 is very very fast. it's noticeable compared to things like the htc one.

there is also an issue of longevity in respect of how long it will be able to offer the performance required to do what you ask of it as the demands increase.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAM? Storage?

But you've answered a question I didn't ask ;) Which tends to suggest you are struggling to answer my question (as evidenced by the cop out in the first paragraph).

Give it another go - are there any components in the 5C that you estimate cost 3x the cost of the equivalent components in the Moto G, given the fact that the 5C is almost 3x the price of the equivalent Moto G? Speaking as a layman, obviously. :D

Why do you think it is a cop out:confused:

I wouldn't imagine there is any component which cost 3 times as much. However, I've not a clue what that has to do with the price of the phone.

Do you think that is how a price is made up? They add the cost of components together?

Now, if you are asking what I think might cost more (and strictly in layer terms).

Case design, development and production (overall phone design). SoC design, development and production. Screen design, development and production. 4g support, camera, iOS design and development. Overall packaging and marketing of the product. The support services provided.

I'm sure you will disagree:)

However, as this was someone asking about the nexus 5, might be best not to divert this thread too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is true of all phones. it's true of most things in general.

Spend £70k on a BMW and functionally it's only a slight upgrade from a £1000 second hand focus.

the best value house you can get is probably the cheapest. it will still keep you dry and give you somewhere to sleep.

the nexus 5 is very very fast. it's noticeable compared to things like the htc one.

there is also an issue of longevity in respect of how long it will be able to offer the performance required to do what you ask of it as the demands increase.

Agreed. Which makes you wonder why on this forum there is such a strange attitude to people who purchase the more expensive phones.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you really are an argumentative person are you.
    as they say... it takes one to know one.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mickwall wrote: »
    I don't have one, but all the reports (and what owners have told me) is that the Camera is on the poor side.

from reports, it's the stock camera app that is poor, not the hardware.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPhone 5C has slow, dated hardware. Only if the OP is dead set on iOS and Apple, should it be considered.

The Nexus 5 is leagues ahead in value and performance. Plus it will last a lot longer than the 5C and Moto G in terms of performance capability and is guaranteed updates for at least a year and a half from now.

I don't personally think £170 more for a revision of last years iPhone 5 is really justifiable. Ultimately it is up to the OP and what they want.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you really are an argumentative person are you.
    as they say... it takes one to know one.

i don't know what that means. are you saying you are an argumentative person?
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vast majority of perceived issues with the Nexus 5 can be addressed via software/firmware updates whereas the 5c's issues are mainly due to its unremarkable hardware given the price and therefore the decision should be based on whether iOS is preferred and/or the design of the 5c appeals more than that of the Nexus 5. Value for money and performance-wise, there's only one winner (I've had my Nexus 5 for nearly 4 weeks and it's superb thus far).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    The vast majority of perceived issues with the Nexus 5 can be addressed via software/firmware updates whereas the 5c's issues are mainly due to its unremarkable hardware given the price and therefore the decision should be based on whether iOS is preferred and/or the design of the 5c appeals more than that of the Nexus 5. Value for money and performance-wise, there's only one winner (I've had my Nexus 5 for nearly 4 weeks and it's superb thus far).

What issues are you referring to? Since when has the 5c had performance issues and what are all the problems with the nexus 5?
    Forum Member
    What issues are you referring to? Since when has the 5c had performance issues and what are all the problems with the nexus 5?

the performance issues of the 5C i would suggest that it is fundamentally slower than the current generation of phones nearly all of which are a lot cheaper.

the N5 has for example quite a slow camera.