Alanis Morissette- Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
Forum Member
✭✭
Underrated Gem or total unmitigated disaster and shambles of an album.

Personally it's a grower and over time it's revealed itself more and more. i love it it's wordy drawn out but full of depth. perhaps she shars a little too much and it isn't as imeidate as JLP but it's a richly stark telling album that sort of stands put from most else.

Comments

• babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, haven't played it in a while though. I remember being a bit disappointed when it first came out as I was expecting JLP part 2 and its anything but that! I probably prefer it to JLP now.

My favourite tracks are the couch, one, I was hoping and joining you.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    I love it, haven't played it in a while though. I remember being a bit disappointed when it first came out as I was expecting JLP part 2 and its anything but that! I probably prefer it to JLP now.

My favourite tracks are the couch, one, I was hoping and joining you.

Part of my love for it is no way like JLP and each sccessive albuum has followed that pattern. I lobe That I Would Be good love that song always wish Univited had been included too one of her ebst songs.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uninvited should definitely have been on it, it fitted perfectly. If I remember rightly uninvited was available on the thank u cd single.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    Uninvited should definitely have been on it, it fitted perfectly. If I remember rightly uninvited was available on the thank u cd single.

I think it was also an extra track in demo form on the Australian tor edition but so should have been put on and released as follow up to Thank U just perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie' is probably my favourite Alanis Morissette album. While it's not as instant as 'Jagged Little Pill', it is much more diverse and sees her branching out into a range of different styles, with a surprising amount of success. It's certainly not without flaws - the lyrics are occasionally a bit too wordy, not all the experiments work, and at 17 tracks the album is a little overlong. Nonetheless, I think it's a very strong album overall. Besides, whatever people may think of the music, Alanis deserves respect for trying out new things and making the music she wanted to make, rather than taking the easy option and releasing 'Jagged Little Pill Part 2'.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's dated as much as JLP, which now sounds very much 'of its time'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    'Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie' is probably my favourite Alanis Morissette album. While it's not as instant as 'Jagged Little Pill', it is much more diverse and sees her branching out into a range of different styles, with a surprising amount of success. It's certainly not without flaws - the lyrics are occasionally a bit too wordy, not all the experiments work, and at 17 tracks the album is a little overlong. Nonetheless, I think it's a very strong album overall. Besides, whatever people may think of the music, Alanis deserves respect for trying out new things and making the music she wanted to make, rather than taking the easy option and releasing 'Jagged Little Pill Part 2'.

I agree wit all you said and it sumarises how i feel too. I always hate it when an artist follows a big album with more of the same the sign of a true artist is one will to experiment and grow whether for good or bad. I agree occasionally the song structrues with their overlong verses lack of chorus and multi-syllabic words can be a bit much. but on songs like Front row, Baba, Unsent, That I Would Be Good it more than pays off. All it could have been shortened some of the songs just seem to be there for the sake of it. But overall a brilliant album and have always loved the title :P

And Grabid i feel both albums are of their time but still ahve lost none of their appeal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Alanis album. JLP is way down the line. Would put URS second.

SFIJ has been a fan favourite for years. The length, it was like being given water after being thirsty for years and there was so much of it. It was so sprawling and dark and took so many listens to get it all, and that helped too.

I hate people saying it was a flop, when its on about 9 million now, but I totally get it when comparing to JLP.

I don't feel it sounds dated or of its time at all, not compared to JLP, just because it never for overplayed on the radio after Thank You.

Speaking of Thank You, when that single was released, a few days before I got hold of SFIJ, and Pollyanna Flower was on it as a bsise, I don't think I have ever played two songs so often. The uninvited demo was great, but I had played Uninvited daily for a year so this was something new. And while I see Pollyanna Flower didn't fit on the main CD, it did bridge the gap between the two.

A friend gave me a promo copy of SFIJ a few data before release and I didn't listen, even though it was killing me not to. On the day of release, I went to school thinking I would listen that evening but I only made it to 9.05 before claiming to have a headache and needing to go home. Ran all the way to the shop and bought my copy (and also begged the man for the cardboard stand up of Alanis that was advertising the CD - he refused but agreed I could have it once the album had died down so 3 months later I was walking away with a three foot cardboard Alanis) and returned home where I put the CD on and listened all day while reading the lyric book. I was obsessed, and it never really went away. Might go a few weeks without listening but never more than that.

Alanis fans have been lucky really, despite the big wait between albums (see you in about 2016 Alanis) that apart from the SCC era we normally get a large amount of songs thrown at us each time. SFIJ, URS and HaBL have been my personal favourites .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think it got her what she wanted, and cut her fan base down and made it all less manic. She rebelled against JLP2 and while some people see it as a backfire, she seemed so much happier with the aftermath.

Not that she ever bothers to promote past the first single, even now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow i love that Meddling unfortuantely i was 7 in 98 and was reeling from Geri leaving The Spice Girls Alanis was a bit beyond me at that time :d But fast forward 5 years later and the discovery of JLP in my dads Cd collection and a life long love bagan :p

And same here i feel it was never her intention for JLP to do what it did and was never fully comfortable with it and the result was Junkie with it's convoluted structures and overwordy lyrics all added for an interesting sprawling masterpiece in how not to do what the albel tells you but what you wnat instead :)

Love URS always to me felt like a nice mix of both JLP and SFIJ. And agreed there are always leftovers and b-sides aplenty from alanis hence Feast On Scraps during URS she is kind to her fans :)
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the album, but they left off 'Pollyanna Flower' which IMO is the best track of that era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the album, but they left off 'Pollyanna Flower' which IMO is the best track of that era.

I've not heard goes to youtube :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it would fit. i mentioned it above as it was, for me, the perfect transition sing between the so called angry Alanis and the SFIJ Alanis.

It is one of my favourite songs though, just personally don't think it would fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it would fit. i mentioned it above as it was, for me, the perfect transition sing between the so called angry Alanis and the SFIJ Alanis.

It is one of my favourite songs though, just personally don't think it would fit.

Just lsitneing to it your definitely right. The msuci is very JLP and the lyrics owe more to Junkie anice transition. i suppose it could have fitted on the album but then again it's a little to similar to JLP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying that, there are some songs that I think she is crazy for leaving off CDs, and then the obvious ones like 'On The Tequila'.

Some fans wanted 20/20 on FOE and No on HaBL, but they worked so well as bonus tracks, hidden gems for fans to find.

Pollyanna Flower was so special at the time, and still is. The first new track except for Thank You. And it was just perfect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like that with Alanis there is always so much more than the album. And some great tracks that maybe didn't fit on the album can be found elsewhere.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I think it's her best album.

I can understand why Supposed turned a lot of people off as a lot of the material is neither as radio friendly or accessible as Jagged Little Pill. One thing I love about the album is the different sounds and instruments she incorporated into the music - the flute on "That I Would Be Good", the almost hip hop fusion on "Front Row". It's a dark, strong and deeply personal album, which isn't surprising since most of it was written in response to how uncomfortable she was with the fame that Jagged brought her. I also think her trip to India influenced a lot of her writing on this album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love the fact the album has an overriding theme but such variation on sound. There is a spirituality to it that whilst there is alomst a bitterness and riling against her new found fame there is an underlying calm and catharsis to be found. I think India inspired her greatly hence ''Thank You India'' :p

Wonder if she will ever record with Glen again :)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. I am hoping next time we get something new. Maybe Souleye...

Glen and her working on JLPA was boring. I am over Sigsworth as well really, and I doubt after the HaBL production changes that it would happen.

If she were to work with Glen then it would need to be fresh and I worry it would be too much attempting to recreate past glories. The best mixes of Crazy were the ones without Glen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I used to be obsessed with this album.

Front Row, That I Would Be Good and Baba were my personal favourites.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is placed inbetween 'Sympathetic Character' and 'That I Would Be Good' on my iTunes - it is like an angsty fit, i adore it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not a bad place to fit it in. I am just not sure it would work for me unless it led into the Uninvited Demo!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On reading this I realise I've never actually heard this album, heard JLP to death, but only the singles from this one.

Wouldn't really call myself an Alanis fan, do you still think it'll be worth checking out?

(I don't hate her, I just don't get fanatical over her, she's just an artist that exists!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being honest, you might be better with Under Rug Swept, Flavors of Entanglement or Havoc and Bright Lights.

Junkie is a bit difficult to get into in many ways. Having said that, once you have then its amazing.

I am a bit of an obsessive so fell in love instantly, friends of mine who know her mainly because of being at my house/in my car tend to prefer other albums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under Rug swept is a great place to start after JLP for me it's a perfect mix of both JLP and Junkie. Hands Clean, Precious Illusions, Flinch, That Particular Time, So Unsexy great tracks and easily accessible.