FLV media player

hI I keep getting warnings flashing to update my media player [It appears everywhere even at the side of facebook]
I have real player and windows media player which I am happy with ..my question is is this connected to them and if not how do I get rid of it I also have 'plug in is missing' signs I updated my adobe flash player yesterday please help
thank you in advance
I have to go offline now but will be back on later this morning

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, I would advise removing Real Player. It isn't a good video player, and it hasn't been for many years. If you want to view FLV videos, or pretty much any other type of video file, use VLC Media Player. It's the most recommended media player for Windows.

There have been some fake messages appearing for people on websites, stating that the user needs to update their Flash player, but the message has been fake. Clicking the link, downloading and installing the 'software' only installs malware/viruses onto the machine. To update Flash, ensure you get it from Adobe's official website.
  • bluebottlebluebottle Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank you so much I will do as you say and do use adobe flash player site only Thank you again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluebottle wrote: »
    thank you so much I will do as you say and do use adobe flash player site only Thank you again
    If you did follow the link from a web page to update Flash, then you may want to scan your computer with an anti-virus and anti-malware. I would recommend Malwarebytes for the anti-malware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I did a complete scan yesterday It is always my first job when things are fishy. I have removed Real Player and installed VLC so am delighted you answered so quickly
    you and all DS people are terrific I recommend you to friends all the time
    Thank you x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are welcome. :)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP there is no need at all to remove RealPlayer, it is OK, and occasionally you might need it - some sites have video that require it. Definitely of course keep Windows Media Player, and VLC as well.
    VLC is fine, and it plays some files that Media Player fails at, but it plays at a lower quality than Media Player.
    There are a few others, some of which |I have, but they don't seem to be necessary unless one likes Winamp and watching Shoutcast..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok thank you I will see how it goes and reinstall if I need to Thanks so much
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to have realplayer way back but haven't had it installed for years now & don't miss it ... have windows media player blocked as there's nothing in it I want or need .... Videolan's VLC has sufficient plugins to cope with audio/video on all sites I visit along with adobe flash player
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Realplayer died pretty much in the early 2000's and i can't remember any need to install it certainly in the last decade
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP there is no need at all to remove RealPlayer, it is OK, and occasionally you might need it - some sites have video that require it. Definitely of course keep Windows Media Player, and VLC as well.
    That is simply bad advice. Real Player is just a bloatware programme now. There's nothing that it can do that can't be done better by other free applications.
    VLC is fine, and it plays some files that Media Player fails at, but it plays at a lower quality than Media Player.
    There are a few others, some of which |I have, but they don't seem to be necessary unless one likes Winamp and watching Shoutcast..
    Windows Media Player will not play a video in 'better quality'.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a combination. VLC is my main player and it plays everything in high quality as someone said Windows media does not play anything in higher quality at all.
    I also use DIVX player this is for some online streaming this also plays in very high quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank you all for taking the time to reply I have removed real player and installed vlc so thanks your imput is so appreciated
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also use VLC on Android now, mainly for my radio streaming. Its always being considered the standard for playing most stuff.

I'm not sure if VLC for Windows 8 will run into the same GNU General Public License problems that got it taken away from IOS. Sideloading on 8 will work so it wont disappear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    That is simply bad advice. Real Player is just a bloatware programme now. There's nothing that it can do that can't be done better by other free applications.

Windows Media Player will not play a video in 'better quality'.

I advise anyone to get a good quality video and watch a scene in both VLC and Media Player. Then they can judge for themselves instead of watching a squabble on the web.

You are incorrect about Real Player, there are still web sites containing videos only viewable in Real Player. Some old software used Real Player and won't work without it.

I don't think it is an excellent idea to get rid of a resource without good reason. The days when disk space was a major factor are long gone. Of course it is not necessary to download and install Real Player if you have not got it already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I advise anyone to get a good quality video .
    People use VLC because it works without hassle of finding codecs or re-encoding to suit.

Just use it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <<<<<<<<<<<<
    People use VLC because it works without hassle of finding codecs or re-encoding to suit.

Just use it!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have only used the web since CompuServe offered it as part of the service, so no doubt that was before re-encoding to suit, whatever that is, came in, and codecs are a mystery, I have used many video players and never needed to bother about them.

Advising a newbie to adopt only one piece of software for a job is not helpful for them. They get a bit lost when it goes funny, as they all do. They get a problem when it will not work on something, same as all the rest.

Incidentally, not many people experience difficulty using a search engine to find things (I assume you mean difficult by saying 'hassle'). Practice a bit getting codecs and video player software, you will soon get the hang of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advising a newbie to adopt only one piece of software for a job is not helpful for them. They get a bit lost when it goes funny, as they all do........

Incidentally, not many people experience difficulty using a search engine to find things (I assume you mean difficult by saying 'hassle'). Practice a bit getting codecs and video player software, you will soon get the hang of it.
    There is a reason why it is recommended, just like other open source projects such as GIMP and Open/Libre Office .

Many often end up getting sucked in and paying good money for a piece of crap.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VLC player is fine for Linux, I prefer MPC-BE for Windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I advise anyone to get a good quality video and watch a scene in both VLC and Media Player. Then they can judge for themselves instead of watching a squabble on the web.

You are incorrect about Real Player, there are still web sites containing videos only viewable in Real Player. Some old software used Real Player and won't work without it.

I don't think it is an excellent idea to get rid of a resource without good reason. The days when disk space was a major factor are long gone. Of course it is not necessary to download and install Real Player if you have not got it already.
    Some websites may still use the rmvb format, but they are far and few between, with the majority going to flash, HTML5 for web streaming and other formats such as avi, wmv, mp4, mkv, etc for video files. VLC can play rmvb files, so Real Player isn't necessary.

Defining Real Player as bloatware, I wasn't referring to wasting disc space, rather wasting resources. There is no reasonable argument as to why a person still needs to have Real Player installed.