2014 - The year of Leona?

ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the unexpected success of One More Sleep, it seems like Leona is returning back to prominence. Will her next era be her biggest yet?

Is 2014 going to be Leona's year 123 votes

Yes
37%
[Deleted User]joaniponijonner101ItsAnObsessionCassie..Stube[Deleted User]xfactorfan27[Deleted User]soulmusicToriamathzelda fanJo09cashloot147babyshezd56amo1980[Deleted User]Dave0893ICON111 46 votes
No
62%
mgvsmithBella TrixCLL DodgeMaster Ozzy[Deleted User]gettymooneusmarkmc2k5asyousay[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]pumazoomaFranch FancysybilvimesMaksonvauxhall1964[Deleted User]TYCOIrishguy123 77 votes

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    In a word, no.
    She'll never top her "Spirit" era as that was really massive.
  • ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Makson wrote: »
    In a word, no.
    She'll never top her "Spirit" era as that was really massive.

Excluding Spirit Makson :p. I'm hopeful her next era will be bigger than Echo and Glassheart ones were.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If she gets together a really solid album that is current yet stays true to the Leona that we know, then yes, she has a good chance of making a big comeback! One More Sleep has gotten radio back on her side and is showing real staying power in the charts. So if her next lead single is great I'm sure radio will give it a fair chance.

Plus her new management really pulled out all the stops this time around, she's had so much more promotion than she did for Glassheart and it's really paid off. So I'm confident that with a great album and her new management she'll have a successful 2014!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Definitely not.

She can't even get her current album in the top 10. Without her XF performances she is nothing but a fluke. I'd love to see how badly she does if she releases in the summer.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No
    Which is a shame because i don't even think Spirit was even the best she has ever done. Her masterpiece for me is Echo.
  • Mike91Mike91 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    Definitely not.

She can't even get her current album in the top 10. Without her XF performances she is nothing but a fluke. I'd love to see how badly she does if she releases in the summer.
    It's a Christmas album. Unless it's a compilation, where you get like 40 songs for a cheap price, Christmas albums are usually never THAT successful, especially in the UK.

Christmas, With Love was the most successful new Christmas album in the UK this year, despite heavy competition from like 6 other new Christmas releases. And even though it charted lower than Glassheart, it's still had much higher sales.

And you can't say it all came down to the X Factor. The radio airplay she received after the X Factor is what has kept it consistent. The X Factor gave it a big boost, like promo usually does for any new release.

Leona's album has potential next year. Her new management has already begun to repair some of the problems she had with previous albums. This time around they NEED better material that still fits her and a strong lead single that radio will play. And they need to focus on the US this time as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Yes
    I know that people who used to go on the X-Factor Thread and chat complete drivel about Leona will eventually do the same thing on this thread. :confused:

I think 2014 could possibly be a big year for Leona ONLY if she gets good promotion and maybe make some dance songs to be released in the Summer than songs like Trouble and Lovebird *the old yawn smiley*

She also needs to get out there and maybe enrol in dancing which could show a different, fun side to her rather than that boring side everybody knows and calls her. :(
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    No
    Unexpected success? No.

And to answer your question, it's hard to tell. But I think she's won over the UK.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    She would've rocked the charts had she released Glassheart as her lead single...

Sadly I don't think she will return to her Spirit/Echo days
    She might have success in the UK but I can't see Europe and the US falling for her again

Unless she releases a killer lead single and album of course
  • Mike91Mike91 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She would've rocked the charts had she released Glassheart as her lead single...

Sadly I don't think she will return to her Spirit/Echo days
    She might have success in the UK but I can't see Europe and the US falling for her again

Unless she releases a killer lead single and album of course
    I don't know. You can't really tell with the US. We don't hate her here or anything, she's just not really released anything and people ended up forgetting about her. The Christmas album was her first big release since Echo. And this Christmas album was never going to smash out of the park here because she has been away for so long.

And most of the stuff she's released before this Christmas album here (and everywhere, let's not kid ourselves) has been weak and/or not pushed hard enough. Or the lead single would underperform and then they'd just completely give up on the entire album.

She's under much better direction now and this album has proven she's still very much a name and has potential. She just needs the right material material and with OMS being her biggest hit since "Run" (and it also being her strongest single since then) it's proof of how important the material and radio airplay actually are.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I love Leona so much. I think she could be as big as the Echo era, but not Spirit, sadly. This is a shame as she is so talented!!

OMS will probably be top 5 again and then drop so badly, like maybe out of the top 40, as all christmas songs tend to do in the New Year.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    No
    she just needs a decent song.
    a real corker of a song.
    with a good solid album.

unless that happens then she wont have any major success.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I don't think it matters what music she releases to be honest. Too many people hate her for being "boring."

For me, Echo is her best album.

I would love for her to be massively successful but I don't mind if she isn't as long as she is mildly successful. I will be buying every future album she releases regardless.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    For me she has potential, radio have proven they will still spin a Leona song if it is good, so her team just need to make sure they pick the correct first single from her next album.

I don't think she has actually lacked the material, it is just she and her label have released the weakest songs as singles, when there was some obvious hits on the albums and once they underperformed they completely gave up on the album.

Her new management team have been fantastic this year, so lets hope this continues.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    She's not current. The only reason that she's done "ok" with this xmas song is because it's xmas and its a fairly decent xmas song. When it coems down to making actual real, decent music, she's just not got it. That's not just down to her...it's down to management and lots of other things too. As an artist though, there's nothing at all interesting about her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    She's not current. The only reason that she's done "ok" with this xmas song is because it's xmas and its a fairly decent xmas song. When it coems down to making actual real, decent music, she's just not got it. That's not just down to her...it's down to management and lots of other things too. As an artist though, there's nothing at all interesting about her.

I disagree, she makes good music, just releases poor singles.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Who knows?
    She might do well or not, but the success of One More Sleep proves she is FAR from over as some people were trying to suggest last year.
  • vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Dream on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I disagree, she makes good music, just releases poor singles.

Well the public seem to disagree with you which is why her last two albums didn't take off. Fair enough if she wants to go down the ballad route...lots of artists do this. I've seen a lot of Leona fans say that she needs to release an up tempo, needs more up beat aongs on her albums. I actually disagree. I think ballads should be her thing. The problem is that her ballads are rubbish and not interesting. I mean, Love Bird?!! I've seen quite a lot of people rave about her Glassheart song and say it would have smashed. I don't agree. It was a good up tempo song in terms of Leona songs and her back catalogue of music, however in the grand scheme of things it really was a very average song. It shows how dull her music is when Glassheart was considered as the standout "should have been a single" song from her last album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Will she have intenational success like the Spirit era? Anything is possible. Like many of you already said with the right song & right promotion, she could have Bleeding Love 2.0.

It's interesting that people say she's boring but then have someone like Adele who (in my opinion) is similar to Leona in the sense that they've got great voices & they sing lots of ballads & people find Adele to be more interesting. No shade but I must be missing something.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Yes
    vagbreath wrote: »
    Dream on.

Ohhhh the ignorance. Anyone is just one song away from a hit. Leona's new management are brilliant so I'm confident in her future. *plays One More Sleep*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Jevito416 wrote: »
    Will she have intenational success like the Spirit era? Anything is possible. Like many of you already said with the right song & right promotion, she could have Bleeding Love 2.0.

It's interesting that people say she's boring but then have someone like Adele who (in my opinion) is similar to Leona in the sense that they've got great voices & they sing lots of ballads & people find Adele to be more interesting. No shade but I must be missing something.

But Adele has good songs, well written ballads. Her last two albums both had a concept to them. It's not that fact that Leona does mostly ballads that makes her un-interesting. It's the ballads themselves. They're nothing special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Well the public seem to disagree with you which is why her last two albums didn't take off. Fair enough if she wants to go down the ballad route...lots of artists do this. I've seen a lot of Leona fans say that she needs to release an up tempo, needs more up beat aongs on her albums. I actually disagree. I think ballads should be her thing. The problem is that her ballads are rubbish and not interesting. I mean, Love Bird?!! I've seen quite a lot of people rave about her Glassheart song and say it would have smashed. I don't agree. It was a good up tempo song in terms of Leona songs and her back catalogue of music, however in the grand scheme of things it really was a very average song. It shows how dull her music is when Glassheart was considered as the standout "should have been a single" song from her last album.

I disagree with all of this. If Leona released Glassheart as a single, how do you know it wouldn't smash? It would because it would show a different side to Leona's music and people will notice her more as a singer who releases up-tempo songs and not just ballads.
    She released Collide in 2011 and it did really well. I don't know what position it came on the Billboard Chart but it came in a good position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes

The public haven't heard Leona's material, as pointed out by several others she and her label have picked bad singles which underperformed and then the albums have been abandoned, if they had picked the correct singles or at least continued releasing more singles the albums could have gone on to do well.

Well as you said ALOT of people raved about the song, it received massive praise from many blogs, forums and critics when it premièred. So fair enough you didn't like it, but that means little in the grand scheme of things.

Edit: Just want to add, I don't actually think Leona will reach the heights of Spirit again, but I do think there is a chance she can re-establish herself in the UK and achieve a platinum album if they choose the correct singles and actually release more than two from an album.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syco are ridiculously stupid when it comes to Leona. Wrong singles, rejecting hits and botched promo campaigns.

Leona could easily find US success again if she called up Drake, Kendrick, Miguel, Justin Timberlake etc. and offered to sing some hooks for them. It would easily propel her back to fame if even just one collaboration became a hit and would gain her a new fanbase.

Personally I think Leona doesn't really want the fame, she's just happy as she is, I've never really got the "ambitious" vibe from her, but then she was at one point the biggest UK star in the world, so if she didn't like how that went then I don't blame her for not wanting it again. It's her life after all.

I think she'll do decently in 2014 provided Syco doesn't wait until October to premiere the first single of her next album. I don't think she'll find huge success again unless some changes are made.