Who would make a good female super-hero for a new Marvel movie?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    If the Ms Marvel movie does go ahead I'm thinking who would play the role?

For a slightly older but still capable Actress I thought maybe Rosemarie Dewitt. She's fairly unknown but is a very good actress and has a strength about her looks.

On the younger end of the scale and left field what about Alia Shawkat?

My most realistic choice (imo anyway) would be Diane Kruger. She's a little younger then Rosemarie. Has teh Looks and has the CV.

Other possibles I thought of:
    Isla Fisher
    Rose Burne
    Lola Glaudini
    Natlia Tena

If and when they do create a female led superhero movie there is no way that they are going to have a virtual unknown as the lead, they want to ensure the movie is a success so they will want a star, realistically it will be someone under 30, who already has a level of notoriety and are looking for a franchise vehicle. They will also be conventionally pretty regardless of how the original source material describes the character.
    jackbell wrote: »
    After all the headaches DC have had with Wonder Woman, it would be funny if Marvel had a hit with Valkyrie.

It is much easier with Valkyrie or Ms Marvel because the general public has never heard of them so will have no expectations and allow the filmmakers to start with a blank canvas. Wonder Woman will be a problem because the public are well aware of who she is and have certain and in some cases conflicting expectations of who she is and how she should be portrayed.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally the one I would love is Rogue. Unfortunately Singers travesty of a characterisation has probably scuppered that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    If the Ms Marvel movie does go ahead I'm thinking who would play the role?

For a slightly older but still capable Actress I thought maybe Rosemarie Dewitt. She's fairly unknown but is a very good actress and has a strength about her looks.

On the younger end of the scale and left field what about Alia Shawkat?

My most realistic choice (imo anyway) would be Diane Kruger. She's a little younger then Rosemarie. Has teh Looks and has the CV.

Other possibles I thought of:
    Isla Fisher
    Rose Burne
    Lola Glaudini
    Natlia Tena

Tough one because you have no idea what age range they are looking at.

Seeing as they have cast Evan Peters (26) as Quicksilver, yet there are stories going around that they are looking at Saoirase Ronan who is 19 as Scarlet Witch (way too young if she gets the part), you could possibly be looking at someone in or around 20 to play Ms Marvel too
    Forum Member
    After all the headaches DC have had with Wonder Woman, it would be funny if Marvel had a hit with Valkyrie.

IMO Valkyrie would be easier to do because you have all the mythology, the links to Asgaard, you could introduce her in the Thor film, she looks great. Also Game of Thrones and all the sword waving is the in thing at the moment, now moody angst ridden vampires that need a slap... and a wash are going out of favour.

Wonder Woman is just a woman in a swimsuit at the end of the day. Great to look at but that's about it.
    I really can't even begin to think how they could make a Wonder Woman film and make it interesting and not turn her into someone more like Black Widow who has all the martial arts moves.
    Forum Member
    redtux wrote: »
    Personally the one I would love is Rogue. Unfortunately Singers travesty of a characterisation has probably scuppered that.

As they are now rebooting everything it could still happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO Valkyrie would be easier to do because you have all the mythology, the links to Asgaard, you could introduce her in the Thor film, she looks great. Also Game of Thrones and all the sword waving is the in thing at the moment, now moody angst ridden vampires that need a slap... and a wash are going out of favour.

Wonder Woman is just a woman in a swimsuit at the end of the day. Great to look at but that's about it.
    I really can't even begin to think how they could make a Wonder Woman film and make it interesting and not turn her into someone more like Black Widow who has all the martial arts moves.

Wonder Woman has her Greek/Roman mythology of course. I believe there are plans for an 'Amazon' TV pilot/series that would look at just her life on Paradise Island. I'm thinking more along the lines of Xena Warior Princess. But a Valkyrie film with the Asgard connection and her flying horse would just edge it for me.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they got George Perez onboard then a Wonder Woman film could be interesting :)

You might think that she is just 'a woman in a swimsuit' but I reckon Maxwell Lord thinks differently ;)

Funny how all the Marvel stans are leaping on DC when the thread is meant to be about Marvel movie franchises :p
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squirrel Girl!

Or maybe Dazzler; could do a great 80s pastiche movie with Dazzler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's off topic but I would queue around the block for a Cloak & Dagger movie :o :cool:
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    I know it's off topic but I would queue around the block for a Cloak & Dagger movie :o :cool:

It's rumoured for Marvel phase 3
    Forum Member
    Wonder Woman has her Greek/Roman mythology of course. I believe there are plans for an 'Amazon' TV pilot/series that would look at just her life on Paradise Island. I'm thinking more along the lines of Xena Warior Princess. But a Valkyrie film with the Asgard connection and her flying horse would just edge it for me.

The problem with Wonder Woman is other than being a hottie in a swimsuit she is nothing. Yes she has her invisible planne that you can't see just her sitting inside it (must look weird) and her lasso.
    I know she is supposed to have the strength, but unless it's on the same par as The Hulk, Thor, The Thing etc is nothing.

I'm watching Wonder Woman on TLC channel 125 on Sky. Ropey although Lynda Carter is hot. Whne you get to the action stuff it's bloody awful, she just throws peopel around or stops bullets with her wrist bands.

As I said a few posts back. Unless they change her completely and have her doing martial arts and thus being more like Black Widow and the like, her character is really hard to do as a film or IMO a TV series.
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    The problem with Wonder Woman is other than being a hottie in a swimsuit she is nothing. Yes she has her invisible planne that you can't see just her sitting inside it (must look weird) and her lasso.
    I know she is supposed to have the strength, but unless it's on the same par as The Hulk, Thor, The Thing etc is nothing.

I'm watching Wonder Woman on TLC channel 125 on Sky. Ropey although Lynda Carter is hot. Whne you get to the action stuff it's bloody awful, she just throws peopel around or stops bullets with her wrist bands.

As I said a few posts back. Unless they change her completely and have her doing martial arts and thus being more like Black Widow and the like, her character is really hard to do as a film or IMO a TV series.

Watch the DCAU animated film of Wonder Woman that was released a few years ago, that for me is a good demonstration of what a Wonder Woman film would be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Squirrel Girl!

Or maybe Dazzler; could do a great 80s pastiche movie with Dazzler.

You know Squirrel Girl would defeat Galactus the second you went for a pee break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rumoured for Marvel phase 3

Oh... that would be worth seeing :) :cool:
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patsy Walker/Hellcat.

In fact I would love to see a "Patsy Walker" rom com, with the post credits scene suddenly twisting things and see her becoming Hellcat with her next appearance being in the Avengers.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest, Squirrel Girl (played by someone like Zooey Deschanel, a ditzy girl next door), Scarlet Witch, Rogue (she needs to develop out of the wallflower and they could pull in a big-name actress, not to mention her links to the popular Wolverine and Mystique and what they could do with Gambit), Black Widow (as you say, she has the cool factor and the likeability factor).

These would be the big ones I could see working. I say Squirrel Girl partly as a joke but I think as an off-kilter comedy superhero movie poking fun at elements of the genre it might be a sleeper hit.

I mean, if ELEKTRA can get a movie off the back of Daredevil (that wasnt even much of a hit at the time).

Other big Marvel girls I could see would be Storm (though I don't think people would go for it after Halle's flop with Catwoman, and how so much of her backstory is based around being a team player and a mother-figure as Berry's portrayed her so far), maybe the female Captain Britain who died saving her children, although her name would have to change for worldwide appeal, maybe Shadowcat, Emma Frost. The movie could focus on either of them and deal with their history with the other. Shadowcat would have to be retconned so as not to be in the X Men from a young age though.

Its hard to think of female characters who arent already related to a male character or other team members in a similar franchise who would be able to explain away why they didnt pop up in the latter as a minor character or love interest. That's actually kinda worrying, when you think about it - that that's only how female characters are seen, in relation to male superheroes, at the minute. Not to say that some of my favourite women on-screen don't exist in these movies!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Magik (Illyana Rasputin), and I'd base it mostly on the mini-series from way back in the 80s with Belasco and the aged Storm.

Failing that The Wasp might make a fun adaptation. Interesting power with a quirky and fun attitude. Haute couture meets superhero.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I don't know why but I can just see Angelilia Jolie as Domino.
    I think she'll be great!
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other names that spring to mind include, Domino, Callisto, Spiderwoman, Firestar, Polaris, Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk.
    I think a Mockingbird tv series is being mooted.

Also a Jessica Jones show was being planned too.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WW is massively super powered in the current DC universe; she is Zeus' daughter and presumably DC would see her on at least Thor's level.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Marvel acquiring Angela from Neil Gaiman and her being folded into the Marvel Universe continuity means would they put her in a movie.
    Yes she has her invisible planne that you can't see just her sitting inside it (must look weird) and her lasso.

Most depictions you can't see her or anyone else sitting inside. There's a lot of strange concepts at the heart of Wonder Woman but the invisible plane isn't quite as silly as people make out.
  • ElphinstoneElphinstone Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wasp would tie in with Avengers Assemble and also allow an introduction to the world of Antman
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redtux wrote: »

Rogue all-the-way!

It could also tie in with the infamous Ms Marvel/Carol Danvers stand off and load-sa Mysique (never a bad thing!).

Of course it would have to be a reboot more in keeping with the original Rogue backstory. None of tis non-flying crap.

The Bill Sienkiewicz/Claremont run of New Mutants 18-35 was very female-centric, I would also run a separate darker franchise of movies similar to how the x2 comics operated back then.

Others - Shadowcat/Scarlet Witch/Mystique I would like to add She Hulk, but I'm sure that could easily become a teenage w**kfest in the wrong hands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Tough one because you have no idea what age range they are looking at.

Seeing as they have cast Evan Peters (26) as Quicksilver, yet there are stories going around that they are looking at Saoirase Ronan who is 19 as Scarlet Witch (way too young if she gets the part), you could possibly be looking at someone in or around 20 to play Ms Marvel too

Well that casting of Quicksilver is from Fox for Days of Future Past. Not Marvel's. Does seem Aaron Taylor-Johnson has been cast as Marvel's Quicksilver in Avengers 2. So younger than Evan, I'm expecting a similar aged Scarlett Witch. Same with Ms Marvel if it happens.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there ever a Mystique film planned?

Would Becky Romjin reprise the older version?

How about after she had lost her powers, she ended up in an abusive relationship.

Suddenly one day she gets her powers back & ends up killing her abuser as Mystique.

She has to spend the film making sure no one knows she is Mystique while supposedly playing the grieving partner, but it gradually unravels. (Maybe an accidental transformation into Blue in front of someone she shouldn't? )