giant pads

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, they are sold as all in ones, but they are just a giant tablet to be honest.
Chatting to a mate earlier and he was thinking of getting one for the reading room/study· He said it would be useful as a keyboard could be added and it could be used like a computer, but i can't see how as their use is pretty limited in that they just run Android, which in itself is a limited Os.

His idea is also to use it as a word processor, which is why the addition of a keyboard, but plugging a printer into these things is not as easy as plugging one into a normal computer.

i think it is s illy idea and he would be better off with a laptop or even a small desktop.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I assume when you say a giant pad you just mean a 9" tablet?

Don't see why it i silly and it's easy to plug a keyboard in and most wi-fi printers would work fine.

All comes down to what the tablet is required for.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I assume when you say a giant pad you just mean a 9" tablet?

Don't see why it i silly and it's easy to plug a keyboard in and most wi-fi printers would work fine.

All comes down to what the tablet is required for.

When I say giant, I mean like this

i would have thought that even wi-fi printers need some sort of drivers installed on the computer.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    When I say giant, I mean like this

i would have thought that even wi-fi printers need some sort of drivers installed on the computer.

Ah, not seen one of those before.

Printers will depend on the model but I know my wife uses the HP iPad app to print with.
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can print from my iPad and Android tablet to my wireless Epson printer. It's a matter of setting up Google Cloud print for Android or the relevant XX iprint app in the app store (in my case Epson iPrint), though only certain models are supported, which mine was.

I would have thought your mate would be better off going for an All-In-One rather than a giant tablet as the Acer will probably cost about £800 when it comes out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mate got a laser printer, certainly not wireless, but by looking around it seems like he can use a second computer to access it, which for his use would be useless.

I myself also don't like the idea of Google having the document when it is being printed, but then if they are going to have one of these Android based machines, everything will be on google servers anyway.

I have found this machine as well. A HP version, £349, so not a bad price.

I agree about a all in one computer, it will be able to do some much more and not have to rely on the internet which is to be honest not that great where they live.

The problem with all in one machines is price.

We will have a chat at the weekend and have a look at the options. At least his old laptop is working again for a while longer, this is the reason why he wants a new machine as his laptop is failing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just get a Wireless USB Print Server, easy to use
    An example being the Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB Print Server

If all he is doing is word processing, why the big screen, a 9 inch wifi tablet would be fine from my experience
    With a little persuading and very little learning, the on screen keyboards are no harder to use than a dedicated keyboard and I type and code fast.

I actually use my iPad on-screen keyboard as a remote keyboard/mouse on my PC desktop now all the time, instead of a traditional keyboard and mouse.
    One of the many remote keyboards, but probably of no use to your friend if hes looking at an all in one, just showing what you can do;
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/air-keyboard-remote-mouse/id446643462?mt=8

But plenty of addon keyboards for all tablets out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think about a wireless USB server. it is not just for WP, it will be for browsing the net, emails, editing photos and that sort of stuff. Which is why I thought it would be too limited.

The reason he want it so big is because it is going to be a family machine. how it happened, he was saying about getting a replacement for the laptop, because it is getting old now and not managing very well, also the screen had gone a couple of years back, so it is used like a desktop almost, separate keyboard, mouse and screen. Battery gone, DVD drive now not working and the last thing is the fan playing up, which I have got working again.

So he was saying about getting some thing a bit better, in fact a lot better and he noticed the Acer machine machine and thought it would be just the thing. I have told him that it is just a giant version of his mobile phone.

i was thinking something like this would be better, a proper computer and with built in DVD drive.
    The price is good too,
    May have to stick a decent OS on it, but that is easy enough :) That is a joke by the way, before someone gets the wrong idea.

Saying that, I bet a good linux Distro would be nice on it.
    Forum Member
    Ok, I must admit I would encourage a family to go down the tablet root rather than share a single PC.
    For the price you are looking at they could have a two or even three tablets and a few extras.
    From the extra 'browsing the net, emails, editing photos', thats ideal for a tablet.
    I would say for the average user the photo editing apps are just amazing on a phone/tablet.

Get them up to scratch and have fun with world of tablets, the kids anyway will teach the adults how to use them in five minutes as they will be using them at their schools and with their friends anyway.
    Also do remember that tablets do have hdmi out, so a hd monitor or tv can also act as a larger screen also.
    Forum Member
    I myself also don't like the idea of Google having the document when it is being printed, but then if they are going to have one of these Android based machines, everything will be on google servers anyway.

Google would only have the document if you used Google Docs. Use different software and then they won't have it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Ok, I must admit I would encourage a family to go down the tablet root rather than share a single PC.
    For the price you are looking at they could have a two or even three tablets and a few extras.
    From the extra 'browsing the net, emails, editing photos', thats ideal for a tablet.
    I would say for the average user the photo editing apps are just amazing on a phone/tablet.

Get them up to scratch and have fun with world of tablets, the kids anyway will teach the adults how to use them in five minutes as they will be using them at their schools and with their friends anyway.
    Also do remember that tablets do have hdmi out, so a hd monitor or tv can also act as a larger screen also.

I think the kids have tablets, I saw one of them with something in their hand, it was either a tablet or a e-reader. I think he just wants something that people can go and use in peace. No good getting me to get them up to scratch with tablets, don't use them, I only played with a Android one for a few mins and a Ipad one for a couple of hours.

Me and tablets don't get on. I am a computer person, my views is that a computer with a proper Os, is far better than any Android or IOS device.

But I am not buying this, but I still think if he got this Android based thing, he would regret it.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If all he is doing is word processing, why the big screen, a 9 inch wifi tablet would be fine from my experience
    With a little persuading and very little learning, the on screen keyboards are no harder to use than a dedicated keyboard and I type and code fast.

Word processing on a 9" tablet? :eek:
    Word processing is one of the things that you need a proper screen and keyboard for IMO.

My brother has made the mistake (IMO) of getting rid of the family computer (when it broke down) and going the tablet and netbook only route.
    When my 14 year old nephew visits, the first thing he asks is if he can go on my desktop computer. The large screen and proper speakers are like paradise to him. :D

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be without my tablet either. It has revolutionised my couch surfing. :cool:
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Word processing on a 9" tablet? :eek:
    Word processing is one of the things that you need a proper screen and keyboard for IMO.

I would also once have thought that. My busy written day today, all done on iPad, here goes;
    Made many post on here, replied to at least 100 business and a few personal emails. Logged into our remote W2008 cloud servers to make some changes and test a new app we have created.
    Read and edited quite heavily two 30+ page beta app docs.
    Read and highlighted areas from six submitted CVs for some interviews we are doing next week.
    Written 17 pages of my novel ebook sequel I am writing.
    Created three presentations with artwork, flowcharts and some pic editing for which I am presenting to clients tomorrow.
    Written from scratch. based on our templates, two 24 page reports for a new set of app updates/ideas for our clients (all ideas and flow taken from the whiteboard meetings we had as a team yesterday, done on tablets along with apps and Skype).
    Tested some business apps on remote servers/devices for Android, using differing device templates.

I also use dictation often and edit after, but on this occasion I did not.
    I did some at my desk, some at the breakfast table early, on the ferry over to Pompey and am finishing now on the patio in the afternoon sunshine.
    Not all word processing, but quite a busy day today.
    I amaze Myself what you can do with a bit of effort and I spent 25+ years on dumb terminals and all kinds of PCs and laptops. Do I prefer this way now, yes by a mile
    I'm semi retired too, so the main concern is why I'm doing this, its fun!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If you're going to go down the giant tablet route, the 27 inch Lenovo (full Windows, i5 CPU) is the way to go.

It'll cost you though....
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing to consider would be buying a large monitor something like http://www.ebuyer.com/501361-23-6-es240d-hd-vga-led-monitor-es240d then getting a nettop PC which could clip onto the back or comes with a stand http://www.ebuyer.com/500387-acer-revo-rl70-nettop-pc-dt-smeek-008

That way your friend would have access to a full operating system though you will probably have to buy a USB keyboard and mouse if they don't already have these.

Hope the above links work!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also once have thought that. My busy written day today, all done on iPad, here goes;
    Made many post on here, replied to at least 100 business and a few personal emails. Logged into our remote W2008 cloud servers to make some changes and test a new app we have created.
    Read and edited quite heavily two 30+ page beta app docs.
    Read and highlighted areas from six submitted CVs for some interviews we are doing next week.
    Written 17 pages of my novel ebook sequel I am writing.
    Created three presentations with artwork, flowcharts and some pic editing for which I am presenting to clients tomorrow.
    Written from scratch. based on our templates, two 24 page reports for a new set of app updates/ideas for our clients (all ideas and flow taken from the whiteboard meetings we had as a team yesterday, done on tablets along with apps and Skype).
    Tested some business apps on remote servers/devices for Android, using differing device templates.

I also use dictation often and edit after, but on this occasion I did not.
    I did some at my desk, some at the breakfast table early, on the ferry over to Pompey and am finishing now on the patio in the afternoon sunshine.
    Not all word processing, but quite a busy day today.
    I amaze Myself what you can do with a bit of effort and I spent 25+ years on dumb terminals and all kinds of PCs and laptops. Do I prefer this way now, yes by a mile
    I'm semi retired too, so the main concern is why I'm doing this, its fun!

But why do you prefer doing all that on a tablet, as opposed to a monitor and keyboard set-up? I don't understand? :confused:

As I say, I love my tablet for browsing, but even things like tweeting is often frustrating, as I often hit the wrong thing with my finger, and do something I didn't intend doing.
    Perhaps I'm just handless :D Or my 10" android tablet isn't up to the job?

I can see a use for these large scale tablets, as most ones live in the lounge, and never venture out of the house. As long as they are light enough to balance on your knees, or hold with one hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did consider a net top for them, kazzabeee, but they can be a bit slow.

I certainly would not recommend a normal laptop as it would not be any good for what they want, his other half would not like it anyway, she likes a large screen and proper keyboard, she touch type, something that you can't do on a tablet.

Myself,i am not a fan of tablets, but this is not for me. I still think the 20 inch lenovo is the way to go, 27 inch is a bit big for where it will go. I will have a chat with them again over the weekend and see where we go from there, but I think a glorified tablet is the wrong way to be honest.

If these giant tablet things had a proper Os, then it be a different thing.
    Forum Member
    If these giant tablet things had a proper Os, then it be a different thing.

Look up the 27" Lenovo I mentioned a couple of posts back.

Runs full x86 Windows 8. i5 processor. Not a top of the line one, but not a bad one either. Hook up a keyboard and mouse and prop it up and you have a proper desktop PC.

Obviously, upgrading it is going to be nigh on impossible I'd guess ...
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a 27 inch tablet is tittering on the edge of no longer being a mobile device. Imagine carrying it around...
    Forum Member
    It's not really what it's designed for.

It's intended more for home use. Either as a traditional PC (with the stand) or as a tabletop pc/tablet hybrid. Don't think they really expect to see people sat on a bus trying to use it! And if I ever saw a tourist trying to take a photo with one (bad enough when they use an iPad) I think that would equate to an open warrant to shoot them .... :D
    Forum Member
    But why do you prefer doing all that on a tablet, as opposed to a monitor and keyboard set-up? I don't understand? :confused:

As I say, I love my tablet for browsing, but even things like tweeting is often frustrating, as I often hit the wrong thing with my finger, and do something I didn't intend doing.
    Perhaps I'm just handless :D Or my 10" android tablet isn't up to the job?

A number of reasons and I don't really have any problem using it, no 'hitting the wrong key with my finger'. Suppose that is just through a lot of use, here goes;

- Convenient to be able to easily have it anywhere around the house and garden, which is where I do most of my work, whilst doing other things, not so tied to a desk.
    - Much better travelling with a tablet or two and even with their accessories. Hardly notice it and no charging worries. I've so forgotten those days having a heavy rucksack,
    a couple of laptops, heavier charger bricks and accessories.
    - My consultancy work is based around apps for cloud, business and broadcasting, its the best way to understand how the many devices and OS gel.
    - For writing/presentation/report creation, the apps are just great and I believe puts the old office PC suite way to bed for ease and convenience.
    Honestly, most users rarely use most of the functions of the full blown office suite. I do some pretty sophisticated business documentation and now ebooks on a tablet that puts most PC office suite users to shame.
    - For presenting, they are just superb, hdmi/wifi/bluetooth out is just so easy and the interaction live on the touch screen is just a pleasure, one handed in front of a group,
    pass quickly round a table and often adds fun to your presentations.
    - Peer to peer, collaborate with colleagues, web conferencing, remote presentation, whiteboard sharing and recording is a joy from a tablet.
    - As a very proficient artist and in my 25+ years of MS Server support with some large commecial accounts I also worked closely with a lot of talented graphic designers and creative artists and learnt the likes of Photoshop inside out.
    Although still progressing, some of the recent creative apps are just amazing for what can be achieved for day to day artwork.
    I have also painted many a drawing/painting on the iPad, it is just a pleasure to use that way and I could never have really achieved the same result and pleasure form a desktop PC. No more
    linseed oil smells either, great fun and becoming a lucrative hobby for me.
    - I do have a few laptops, which Im afraid are now just gathering dust and I use mostly to play with preview builds and Linux distros.
    My desktop PCs act as servers for my weather station hobby and of course some development stuff which is still OSX or Windows based, so I do use them.
    - I'm also involved with broadcasting distribution apps/programs on the PC.
    - I did as you may have seen on here tried the Surface for a good month and although I enjoy the W8 desktop, the W8 Metro UI does not do it for me and the Surface I found quite
    uncomfortable to use, as a tablet or as a laptop. As for the apps on it, well all I can do is just laugh, sorry Microsoft.
    - There have been mentions on here about touch typing, I do touch type and I'm very fast and I find the iPad or Android keyboard no bother. I type at 80+ wpm.
    In fact I do prefer it now to an old traditional keyboard.
    Only trouble is I do wish there was a little more consistency between iOS and Android for the layout/swipe/cut&paste, it is different and gets you in trouble sometimes.
    It is also pretty easy to type one handed quickly, which is sometimes nice to do with a cup of tea in one hand :)
    I have an Apple and Logitech stand alone keyboard that is basically a full PC keyboard and works well with PC/tablets, but I'm so used now to touch typing on the iPad that I do not use them now for any serious typing.
    I found it does not make me any more productive using a traditional keyboard.
    - I do have an HDMI monitor on my desk, that I do attach to tablets for viewing/testing presentations etc..
    Oh and of course they work beautifully with a big screen HD TV.

Other benefits I find now;
    - Backup and recovery, its just so much easier with a tablet and in my old work days involved in some big Commercial account server backup scenarios, I know backup inside out.
    But where I am now, for both personal and business, is that I have become a big fan/user/developer of cloud backup, its just a pleasure.
    Not having to waste time and effort backing up at home; a complete OS, file history, images. Which these days are rather large and can still be quite expensive to achieve well.
    How easy is it to restore with iOS or Android along with cloud backup from a number of resources if you so wish, just simple, reliable and user friendly.
    Using business cloud backup with 100+ gb is a blessing, but even form a personal view Im a big fan of Dropbox and share content across many devices and collaborate with it (even a PC).
    - Personal apps, like sky go, sky+ tunein radio, iPlayer, music, ebook/pdf reading, PIM are for me just a pleasure compared to their PC counterparts. So switching between a number of
    devices/platforms on this level is not what I want to be doing all the time.

Im not really a fan of social networking (twitter/facebook), so one thing I do not use on it.

Sorry its a tad long, but that's My world and it works well and very productively for me.

Just to get you another perspective, I do have a good friend who I met through here, I will ask her to post later.
    She runs her complete business using iOS and a little Android.
    She was very laptop based in her business but from what I have seen has never looked back now and she does make good use of larger external monitors too.
    Forum Member
    I did see today a LENOVO C440 21.5" All-in-One
    That is quite reasonable for the quality/spec at £550 or less
    Is this more what you are looking for?
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Ok, as Lettice asked to show the benefits and my use of tablets
    Ditched PC laptops few years ago for the running of my fitness business
    12 iPads and 12 iPhones in constant use daily for my business used as follows -
    Specialist fitness and business software used, but also use run of mill apple store apps
    Business cloud service to hold, share and backup data, have instant access from anywhere
    Part of this service supplies a hard backup couriered, one of my business deals requires it

Business accounts, appointments, calendars, timesheets, regular staff skype audio and video meetings, customer surveys, forms and databases
    Scan in signed forms
    Phone payment services
    Instant boss signoff (one of my girls may requires extra equipment or sundries urgently, she requests, I approve, all tracked)
    Before and after site photos for comeback (often accused of leaving untidy site)
    Prepare and edit music, visualisation video and lighting for instructor based classes
    Edit tailored templated video for personal fitness clients
    Hdmi out to large screen TVs or Monitors supplied on site or by a third party and external bose audio
    Own or customer large screen via hdmi in client home to work with our offered tailored personal fitness programs
    At home I have supplied all my girls with 27" external hdmi display, bluetooth keyboard, acts just like a PC laptop
    Little printing, but we do use an online printing service for business cards, brochures, adverts, forms that need signing. I create all these Myself
    I have a wireless printer on my desk that I use occasionally
    Replaced a few Android phones recently, Lettice keep up, now all one
    Much more, but hope it gives you thought, all for the better, now gone the PC laptop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, as Lettice asked to show the benefits and my use of tablets
    Ditched PC laptops few years ago for the running of my fitness business
    12 iPads and 12 iPhones in constant use daily for my business used as follows -
    Specialist fitness and business software used, but also use run of mill apple store apps
    Business cloud service to hold, share and backup data, have instant access from anywhere
    Part of this service supplies a hard backup couriered, one of my business deals requires it

Business accounts, appointments, calendars, timesheets, regular staff skype audio and video meetings, customer surveys, forms and databases
    Scan in signed forms
    Phone payment services
    Instant boss signoff (one of my girls may requires extra equipment or sundries urgently, she requests, I approve, all tracked)
    Before and after site photos for comeback (often accused of leaving untidy site)
    Prepare and edit music, visualisation video and lighting for instructor based classes
    Edit tailored templated video for personal fitness clients
    Hdmi out to large screen TVs or Monitors supplied on site or by a third party and external bose audio
    Own or customer large screen via hdmi in client home to work with our offered tailored personal fitness programs
    At home I have supplied all my girls with 27" external hdmi display, bluetooth keyboard, acts just like a PC laptop
    Little printing, but we do use an online printing service for business cards, brochures, adverts, forms that need signing. I create all these Myself
    I have a wireless printer on my desk that I use occasionally
    Replaced a few Android phones recently, Lettice keep up, now all one
    Much more, but hope it gives you thought, all for the better, now gone the PC laptop

I don't deny you can do an awful lot on a tablet. But the fact that you have bought large screens and bluetooth keyboards shows that you probably agree that some things are more pleasant to do on a more traditional set-up?
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    I don't deny you can do an awful lot on a tablet. But the fact that you have bought large screens and bluetooth keyboards shows that you probably agree that some things are more pleasant to do on a more traditional set-up?

Not so, the keyboards came as part of the package
    Myself do not use them and on road neither do any of my girls obviously
    What they do at home is their own, some do, some do not, choice is good
    Not seen anyone hindered with online keyboard
    Short learning and you are away
    Learnt to touch type on iPad, just fumbled before, not as fast as Lettice though, hes a wizz on a keyboard
    Large screens are for video, my idea to make it easier to watch and replicate what we do on road with the tv and monitors and would have done same with a PC laptop
    Myself and girls practice all our routines at home, so good having the home room alive with as close to the experience as onsite
    Do most of my work relaxing by a local swimming pool or in tub at home, no large screen
    Mirroring though if you want it is beautiful, best of both worlds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did see today a LENOVO C440 21.5" All-in-One
    That is quite reasonable for the quality/spec at £550 or less
    Is this more what you are looking for?

i did put a link above for this unit, somewhere, but thanks anyway.

Yes, I had a chat with him yesterday and he decided to ditch the giant tablet idea, I think his other half more or less decided for him :) We decided, that this one would do the job, it have a I3 processor, enough hard drive and ram.
    It even have a DVD drive.

I am not sure what they I5 is cheaper than the I3, it have less ram, but ram is cheap these days. Anyway, he ordered it yesterday.

I think they made the better choice and his OH seems happier with the idea. I told them if it goes wrong, I want nothing to do with it as it is just like a oversized laptop :)

It is powerful enough and should last them for a few years before they need to update again.

Thanks people for all your help.