New EPG on its way

Comments

• james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening to you all.

Great to hear that users with the required boxes are eventually being given the opportunity to test & use this new software/EPG

It doesn't surprise me that it's now at this stage , & the latest beta code update was released to certain beta tester's boxes yesterday morning.

Enjoy

Regards

James
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Good evening to you all.

Great to hear that users with the required boxes are eventually being given the opportunity to test & use this new software/EPG

It doesn't surprise me that it's now at this stage , & the latest beta code update was released to certain beta tester's boxes yesterday morning.

Enjoy

Regards

James
    Hi James. Does the new software/EPG have any new features.
    Ian.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    No, if you do a forced update after the over the air download to your box (around 11th April) the software will revert to what you have now.

Thanks for clarifying that :)
  • james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Hi James. Does the new software/EPG have any new features.
    Ian.

Ok just a little taster.

You can search your planner by genre instead of having to go into the search function. It's called TV Guide quick links.

Nice new look too.

Regards

James
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Ok just a little taster.

You can search your planner by genre instead of having to go into the search function. It's called TV Guide quick links.

Nice new look too.

Regards

James
    I'm looking forward to getting the new software early, as I've applied before to get new software.
    Ian.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    My way of doing it would be similar to the way bookmarks work.
    Sectioning the recording so it will delete data from 0mins to the 1st bookmark (start of programme) delete from next bookmark start of break to 3rd bookmark end of break.
    Shouldnt be impossible.

I would also see real benifit from Day, Date, Month & Year
    Display e.g.
    Simpsons,
    Recorded: Sky1 HD, 19:00-19:30, Fri 30 Mar 2011 (32mins) Used 0.25% or 245mb

Intelligent anytime would be a section of your anytime downloaded content selected based on viewing and recording habits.

Also personal planner leaving blank family viewing such as Britains Got Talent for example but assigning colors to personal recordings
    when I record football i mark it blue
    The missus records dirty dancing she marks the recording yellow
    Son records celebrity juice marks red and daughter records Glee and marks this green. Access planner and when in middle section our pre programmed names are stored for our section of planner with A-Z, Viewed e.t.c
    Good idea? For me it seems so? Thoughts

Discuss,

Dan.

The editing sounds like it would be simple, I just don't think Sky will want to go down the editing route at all...it'll open a can of worms with advertisers.

I like the intelligent Anytime, much like the TiVo suggestions like I mentioned. Only thing would be that it'd have to go to the "Showcase" section of Anytime as I doubt people would be happy with their Sky box using unauthorised downloads via their web connection...especially if they're only on restricted bandwidth deals. I guess, though, an "on/off" option would solve that.

I also like the marking of recordings, a personalised planner would work well.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/latest_results/interim_results_presentation_1112

Look at picture in section Innovation in 2012:Sky+ app , could those colours and fonts in the picture of the planner on the iPad be the same on the new EPG I wonder.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wish i could have been a beta tester wonder when the final version will be released probably 2 or 3 months off yet im guessing.
  • sheernesssheerness Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    i have also passed on my details on to them, i am very excited :):D
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    wish i could have been a beta tester wonder when the final version will be released probably 2 or 3 months off yet im guessing.

Why can't you?

The link clearly states that you have upto 4th April to apply.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't you?

The link clearly states that you have upto 4th April to apply.

maybe doesn't have one of the required boxes
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i just been over to the sky forum and seen the announcement, i have the right box. I will let the others do the beta testing by the sound of things this new EPG wont be coming to the 1TB boxes for a while and then at a later date to Pace and Samsung Boxes. My guess beginning of July.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    For us lot who have put our name down for this will we all get it or will it be a select few from the name that have gone down?
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nstokes wrote: »
    For us lot who have put our name down for this will we all get it or will it be a select few from the name that have gone down?

Everyone that asks usually gets it unless there is technical difficulties with individual boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Everyone that asks usually gets it unless there is technical difficulties with individual boxes.

Thanks. Apart from EPG being in HD anyone know what new features it will have? ive seen the post by MM and seen the colours and fonts on the Sky+ app they do good so lets hope that happens
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Seeing as it is now almost out there in the wild I wonder what the chances are of the more enilightened members being able to post a pic or 2?
  • steve1488steve1488 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the new epg. One question though. Why isnt the clock on the epg in 24 hr mode ie 1930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloodywolf wrote: »
    Seeing as it is now almost out there in the wild I wonder what the chances are of the more enilightened members being able to post a pic or 2?

unless the terms of us receiving it include an NDA, then there is nothing to stop people posting details.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    not sure if its true,i hope im wrong,but someone told me if im lucky to be better tester,i cant post pics or anything on any forum,non discloser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure if its true,i hope im wrong,but someone told me if im lucky to be better tester,i cant post pics or anything on any forum,non discloser.

the forum post asking for people to sign-up mentioned nothing of any non-disclosure. it would have to be specifically stated rather than being automatically implied.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the forum post asking for people to sign-up mentioned nothing of any non-disclosure. it would have to be specifically stated rather than being automatically implied.

There was no NDA the last few times a beta was made public as we have to report bugs on the sky forum and this forum is open to all so an NDA would not work :eek: :cool:
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    steve1488 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the new epg. One question though. Why isnt the clock on the epg in 24 hr mode ie 1930

The good thing about Sky is its very clever to appeal to the lowest common denominator whilst still delivering a service that ANYONE can use and like.

There are people out there that will need telling that 19:30 is 7.30pm and 22:00 is 10 o'clock.

Simplicity is a massive selling point whilst still giving us complex features in an easy way to understand.

Now any EPG pics. All the "Sky" employees on here maybe just teasing a minor bug fix or slight design tweak.
    I'd like some real info and some insight into what's coming.

Anyone can say its going to be amazing, see I just said it.

Let's see something.

Dan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good thing about Sky is its very clever to appeal to the lowest common denominator whilst still delivering a service that ANYONE can use and like.

There are people out there that will need telling that 19:30 is 7.30pm and 22:00 is 10 o'clock.

Simplicity is a massive selling point whilst still giving us complex features in an easy way to understand.

Now any EPG pics. All the "Sky" employees on here maybe just teasing a minor bug fix or slight design tweak.
    I'd like some real info and some insight into what's coming.

Anyone can say its going to be amazing, see I just said it.

Let's see something.

Dan.

don't start making demands though!
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I've signed up for the trial.
    But i may not be selected.
    Have Sky enforced a strict no details nor pics policy.
    If so fair enough.
    If not my REQUEST, not demand, for info is valid.

Either don't post and tease or divulge some info & screenshot or video.

Some consistency please.

Regards to all

Dan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've signed up for the trial.
    But i may not be selected.

It's nor a prize draw! As long as you have a DRX890 or DRX895 and have given the correct details then they will send the code to your box.
This discussion has been closed.