The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Derek did better than most Channel 4 shows in the 10pm hour so that'll be a positive at least.

Yeah, the mention of the official figure was me correcting my initial post, not criticising last night's figure.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent ratings for Midsomer. It was the last episode with DS Jones as Barnaby's sidekick

I only found that out from the MM thread last night, surprised ITV didn't use it in the promo's to drum up some 'will he die' interest and extra viewers..
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I see Martin Clunes has another horsey programme next Thursday at 9 on ITV. It gets the Pick of the Day in Radio Times, but didn't the last one bomb terribly, along with his new drama? Perhaps viewers no longer like him in anything except Doc Martin. It will no doubt be trampled by Silent Witness.

I suspect the horsey show was destined for the Tuesday Flop Zone, but Midsomer Murders is there next week due to the football on Wednesday.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I see Martin Clunes has another horsey programme next Thursday at 9 on ITV. It gets the Pick of the Day in Radio Times, but didn't the last one bomb terribly, along with his new drama? Perhaps viewers no longer like him in anything except Doc Martin. It will no doubt be trampled by Silent Witness.

I suspect the horsey show was destined for the Tuesday Flop Zone, but Midsomer Murders is there next week due to the football on Wednesday.

Ratings stallion or ratings donkey?

Could be a rating of Tesco Value burger quality against Silent Witness... :)
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    From today's BSkyB results.

"The proportion of Sky households with fully-connected HD set-top boxes continues to grow. Just under half a million boxes (460,000) were activated in the quarter, taking the total number of connected boxes to 1.7 million. We expect to maintain good growth in this area in 2013."

Note that in the presentation they say:

"More than 5 million boxes still to be connected"

So that implies that the current total number of boxes that could be connected is something just above 6.7m (out of 10.3m Sky TV homes).

EDIT: Just seen presentation also says 7.3m homes have an HD box - so presumably 7.3m homes could be connected as I think all HD boxes can be connected.

That would imply 5.6m homes still to be connected which I guess is consistent with the phrase "more than 5m". There is obviously some rounding so it could actually be around 5.5m.

It also says 57% of connections are done by self-instal - implying 43% need an engineer to visit.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I reckon Millionaire and Great Houses would double those figures on a Wednesday night. People just don't bother to tune into ITV on a Tuesday night post Emmerdale and the channel seem in no hurry to rectify the problem.

I don't think they'd do any better on Wednesday, it's just rank bad programming. I don't see why ITV can say "oh, nobody watches on Tuesday", that's just encouraging decline. What happens at 7.30 on Tuesday is unrelated to what happens at nine o'clock. You don't see BBC1's ratings collapsing when Panorama comes on and never recovering for the rest of the night.

Midsomer's a repeat, though, so it doesn't matter where they put it.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    With the fans wanting more but question marks over future series I hope the BBC don't just let her do what other shows have done and just have an annual Christmas special instead. The show has earned one this year but I really think they should push for at least one more series rather than letting Miranda dictate to them that they'll just do one episode a year.

You say this kind of thing frequently, as if to imply people on the television are lazy because they only want to do a small number of shows. If Miranda feels she simply cannot commit to a full series because she has other projects on the go, or because she simply can't think of enough funny stuff to put in it, then that's it. You cannot force writers to write more stuff, either it comes or it doesn't. Rather six brilliant episodes of Miranda every few years than thirteen or 26 mundane by-the-numbers episodes every year. It's not laziness, it's about keeping standards high.

Miranda can do what she want because she's very famous and popular and the BBC is not in the business of antagonising its leading stars.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the mention of the official figure was me correcting my initial post, not criticising last night's figure.

My comment was about the overnight figure being lower than pilot, but Derek's done better than most other programmes Channel 4 have had there.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Just spotted this article, summarising which US shows have been bought by the UK channels to date:

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/01/2012-2013-acquisitions-41-bskyb-wb-nbcu/

I had not realised that ITV had bought 666 Park Avenue (an occult-type horror drama, which has already been cancelled in the US) and Animal Practice (a dire comedy, also already axed).
    Not a lot of taste on show there from the ITV acquisitions team...

The sad thing here is that Parks and Recreation finally arrives at the BBC at a point when they axe BBC HD and - not being put on BBC 2 - thus meaning this will air in SD only (outside possibly i player - if they have even bothered buying HD rights given the BBC3/4 HD downturn that has already seen them axe Family Guy HD airings).

A lot of people on here seem delighted with the idea of turning BBC HD into BBC 2 HD but these issues reveal why BBC HD as it stands is a better channel unless and until the BBC has three HD channels as otherwise possible SD shows on BBC 2 will get upscales ahead of HD shows from BBC 3 and 4 that will get downscaled. That seems idiotic.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad thing here is that Parks and Recreation finally arrives at the BBC at a point when they axe BBC HD and - not being put on BBC 2 - thus meaning this will air in SD only (outside possibly i player - if they have even bothered buying HD rights given the BBC3/4 HD downturn that has already seen them axe Family Guy HD airings).

A lot of people on here seem delighted with the idea of turning BBC HD into BBC 2 HD but these issues reveal why BBC HD as it stands is a better channel unless and until the BBC has three HD channels as otherwise possible SD shows on BBC 2 will get upscales ahead of HD shows from BBC 3 and 4 that will get downscaled. That seems idiotic.

I agree with you 100% on this. While it will be nice to have upscaled SD content on BBC2HD (eg many of their films), this is not a gain worth the sacrifice of all the BBC3/4 HD content (and yes, some of this may be repeated on 1/2 but not all of it will be) not to mention the loss of HD repeats (albeit now ludicrously delayed, sometimes by many months) of CBBC contentmade in HD.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the real nostalgics (who also have free or pay satellite), CBS Drama are currently showing the back end of the last of the original series (1990-91) every weekday, before going right back to the beginning (1978) from 11 February,

Watching Dallas on CBS Drama right through (as I have for 18months) reveals another reason why it might be struggling.

It was a terrific show in the first few years and stands up well even now. But somewhere after about seven years it drops in quality astonishingly fast.

I went from happily staying up to watch my recording late each night, to it being a chore that I put off to my building so many episodes 'on hold' that I started deleting them knowing I could not be bothered any more.

Any fans of the show must have had their memory of its greatness tarnished by the dross churned out when it long outstayed its welcome. So they might have been more reluctant to catch up (especially on a channel that I doubt gets large viewing figures from older age groups). Had it been on a more accessible channel - maybe.

Plus I think they left it just too late to come back. Had they done so - say10 years ago - with the original cast still much as they were and John Ross and Christopher old enough to be working their way up and before the banking crisis made power and greed seem old hat then who knows.

Now, with a couple of exceptions, it is like looking at an older friend that you have not seen in 20 years and seeing a vision of your own future that you might subconsciously prefer not to see.

I actually love the update. I think they have done it as well as possible. But it is clearly not engaging the zeitgeist and looks certain to end with these 15 episodes. Mitch Pileggi is a terrific villain (far better than he was a goody in The X Files). But if it cannot work with Larry Hagman it will not without.

Even Channel 5 promoted this series in effect as a eulogy to JR. It will come to be seen as a nice mini series rounding off the Dallas legend. I just hope they get to write a proper ending unilke too many US shows. It deserves that.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    So that implies that the current total number of boxes that could be connected is something just above 6.7m (out of 10.3m Sky TV homes).

EDIT: Just seen presentation also says 7.3m homes have an HD box - so presumably 7.3m homes could be connected as I think all HD boxes can be connected.

That would imply 5.6m homes still to be connected which I guess is consistent with the phrase "more than 5m". There is obviously some rounding so it could actually be around 5.5m.

It also says 57% of connections are done by self-instal - implying 43% need an engineer to visit.

There must be 600k of the original Thomson HD boxes in circulation which aren't compatible.

I assume the self install is for the actual boxes as this is now offered as a cheaper option when upgrading. AFAIA there is not an option of an engineer visit to connect box to the internet (outside an installation).
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have C4 ratings for yesterday?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Have the BBC pulled those two inane shows from Saturday Tea Time? Animal Antics and Richard Hammonds Secret Service? Radio Times lists Pointless Celebrities (R) as airing at 6.15pm? or is this because of the RBS Six Nations commencing?
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I assume the self install is for the actual boxes as this is now offered as a cheaper option when upgrading. AFAIA there is not an option of an engineer visit to connect box to the internet (outside an installation).

Per the presentation:

"Customers self-installing":

Connecting STB to On Demand - 57%
    HD Box Upgrade - 27%

See link (37/45):

http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/latest_results/1213_q2_presentation.pdf
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Dallas on CBS Drama right through (as I have for 18months) reveals another reason why it might be struggling.

It was a terrific show in the first few years and stands up well even now. But somewhere after about seven years it drops in quality astonishingly fast.

I went from happily staying up to watch my recording late each night, to it being a chore that I put off to my building so many episodes 'on hold' that I started deleting them knowing I could not be bothered any more.

Any fans of the show must have had their memory of its greatness tarnished by the dross churned out when it long outstayed its welcome. So they might have been more reluctant to catch up (especially on a channel that I doubt gets large viewing figures from older age groups). Had it been on a more accessible channel - maybe.

Plus I think they left it just too late to come back. Had they done so - say10 years ago - with the original cast still much as they were and John Ross and Christopher old enough to be working their way up and before the banking crisis made power and greed seem old hat then who knows.

Now, with a couple of exceptions, it is like looking at an older friend that you have not seen in 20 years and seeing a vision of your own future that you might subconsciously prefer not to see.

I actually love the update. I think they have done it as well as possible. But it is clearly not engaging the zeitgeist and looks certain to end with these 15 episodes. Mitch Pileggi is a terrific villain (far better than he was a goody in The X Files). But if it cannot work with Larry Hagman it will not without.

Even Channel 5 promoted this series in effect as a eulogy to JR. It will come to be seen as a nice mini series rounding off the Dallas legend. I just hope they get to write a proper ending unilke too many US shows. It deserves that.

The killer over here was the famous shower scene where Bobby Ewing came back from the dead. Ratings collapsed thereafter and the show died in an afternoon slot in 1991. Really Dallas was at its height between 1979 and 1982, which is a long time ago.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. BBC HD has to go. BBC Two is the priority. More people watch it.

BBC HD and BBC Two HD is the ideal solution and it will happen one day.

But BBC Two HD defiantly is the priority and it really needs to happen. BBC Two is the only main channel that doesn't have a HD simulcast at all.

Harsh but true I'm afraid.

Ken
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »

But BBC Two HD defiantly is the priority and it really needs to happen. BBC Two is the only main channel that doesn't have a HD simulcast at all.

Ken

But BBC Two HAS an HD simulcast on BBC HD through peaktime pretty much every weekday. Its (pretty successful) weekend schedules tend to have a lot of SD programming - either archive TV (Dad's Army/Fawlty Towers) or older films for which the BBC have not got the HD rights. That is when it makes perfect sense for the BBC HD channel to show other stuff - Scandinavian thrillers alongside BBC4 etc.

The actual priority of the BBC, I suggest, would be to ensure that there is always a broadcast opportunity to see a BBC made/acquired programme made in HD transmitted in HD. With BBC HD that (just about) happens - with BBC 2 HD it won't, which means that a huge variety of HD programming on other BBC channels will suddenly only be seen in SD. That is really not progress.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ken

It's a bit annoying that Newsnight going HD has shunted even more BBC3 and 4 HD content into the wilderness.

Shame about the Scandinavian stuff as well. I expect like the US imports the BBC only get the HD rights if they're simulcast with SD.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Itv seem to not be challenging the other networks in this evening at all. There isn't even a immediate move to reverse the figures. They seem to give up on the slot too easily. Millionaire repeats should be aired away from peak and despite protests from the daytime audience id switch a few chase episodes if there was no other new programming. The chase would be an immediate replacement for that hour. Julian fellows programme is more suited to a sunday evening and id be inclined to sacrifice it to the family fortunes slot and move it to a thursday and have a double emmerdale on tuesdays until the share settled and other ideas came through. Emmerdale would take the march off bbc one populist schedule and probably pull down holby city or eastenders figures. I think tuesday is still an important evening for itv and should be made more popular and soapy while the bbc run away with the figures. Bbc twos figures should not become larger than itv and to quickly mend it for a few months I think the soaps should be in there battling for that audience. Family fortunes could be moved to thursday. An rather than two episodes ofucoronation street squandered on friday promote another to tuesday and distribute itvs biggest product and stop bbc two easily winning its slot.

Temporary tuesday fix

7pm emmerdale. 6 - 7 million

730 filler against eastenders repeat paul o grady for the love of dogs! 2 - 3 million

8pm emmerdale 5 - 6 million

830 coronation street episode from friday double
    episode

9pm the chase
    We've seen before though how by moving shows to prop up a weak night you just open up another weak night in the schedule. Thursday would become the new flop zone, especially if the BBC countered it by moving Holby there, plus the soaps are not suitable for Tuesdays due to ITV's football commitments.

It's not about ratings anymore on Tuesdays for ITV - it's about filling the slot cheaply and ensuring you don't make a loss. Personally I think it would be acceptable just to run detective repeats there on weeks without football, but they don't tend ot rate to well in the slot either.
    Why the devil would BBC1 air a documentary about World War 1 in primetime on New Years Day? Is that for real??
    Why not - 100 years is a signicificant anniversary and it's more worthy of a place than yet another EastEnders episode (and probably less violent too!).

Any news on any dramas picked up to mark the centenary - I'd have thought someone would be thinking of trying to do a five series drama to span the five years of the war exactly 100 years on.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Derek did better than most Channel 4 shows in the 10pm hour so that'll be a positive at least.
    I've always thought Derek wasn't a Friday night show at all as it's not that kind of comedy but Wednesday seems a bit no-mans-land really for it. Thursday at 10pm could work, airing after the E4 comedy block and against the Mad Fat Diary repeat, or if they'd had any sense they'd have slotted it in on Mondays to catch the 13m viewers flying around after Mrs Brown and Lewis.

Ken
    Except it's not true. General opinion seems to be that with just one additional HD stream available a mixed HD channel suits the BBC better, and since BBC1 HD went it alone BBC HD has gone from strength to strength IMO. There are clashes of course, but most flagship shows get an HD simulcast, and most of BBC2 primetime takes priority - especially now.

Notice though Being Human loses out thanks to the Superbowl and MOTD2 for it's first two weeks - and having held up well last year with a recast I don't hold out much hope for it surviving beyond this series considering the shortened run, while BBC3 have moved it to 10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    But BBC Two HAS an HD simulcast on BBC HD through peaktime pretty much every weekday. Its (pretty successful) weekend schedules tend to have a lot of SD programming - either archive TV (Dad's Army/Fawlty Towers) or older films for which the BBC have not got the HD rights. That is when it makes perfect sense for the BBC HD channel to show other stuff - Scandinavian thrillers alongside BBC4 etc.

The actual priority of the BBC, I suggest, would be to ensure that there is always a broadcast opportunity to see a BBC made/acquired programme made in HD transmitted in HD. With BBC HD that (just about) happens - with BBC 2 HD it won't, which means that a huge variety of HD programming on other BBC channels will suddenly only be seen in SD. That is really not progress.

That is not a simulcast though. Its a separately branded different channel. And as for your point about the bbc's priority always being a broadcast opportunity to see a BBC made/acquired programme made in HD transmitted in HD. With the new HD multiplex on Freeview there have been muttering that will happen. I don't think BBC HD will be gone for that long.

This is an interim thing. Don't worry every thing is going to be just fine.

Ken
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except it's not true. General opinion seems to be that with just one additional HD stream available a mixed HD channel suits the BBC better, and since BBC1 HD went it alone BBC HD has gone from strength to strength IMO. There are clashes of course, but most flagship shows get an HD simulcast, and most of BBC2 primetime takes priority - especially now.

BBC Two HD has to happen. It's the way HD channels work now. BBC HD has to go to acomodate that and save money. But I don't hink it will be for long. The BBC Know the problems you are going on about and in the future I am sure we will get a BBC HD style channel back.

But BBC Two because of audience figures and more money being spent on the channel it deserves it own Simulcast. And it deserves it now.
    Notice though Being Human loses out thanks to the Superbowl and MOTD2 for it's first two weeks - and having held up well last year with a recast I don't hold out much hope for it surviving beyond this series considering the shortened run, while BBC3 have moved it to 10pm.

Again audience is the argument . It is a shame they programs in the short term wont get HD but it is not the end of the world. Most people don't even care at all.

Ken
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the space is there for an extra HD channel on Freeview already (as used for the Olympics and Paralympics), but even with BBC2 HD replacing BBC HD I don't think it would be right for the BBC to have three of the five HD channels on Freeview - and with C5 still not coming to the party I'd rather E4 or Film4 take the slot. BTW, More4 HD launches this week or next I think on Sky.

Personally though if they can't run BBC2 and BBC HD I'd rather keep BBC HD and close BBC2! The nature of BBC HD picking and mixing shows from BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 - plus no longer constrained by simulcasting shows from BBC1, makes it a pretty decent channel in it's own right.

In other news...
    C4 is to launch a new weekday cookery show in association with Sainsbury's, hosted by Lisa Faulkner and Ben Shepherd. What's Cooking? will air from the "Sainsbury's Kitchen" for 13 weeks from late February.

I guess it'll air at 12.05pm, and IMO is a relatively good commission. For an advertiser funded show it's got well known names attached and IMO these sort of shows belong in daytime during the week, not weekend mornings.

http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/media/latest-stories/2013/20130131-sainsburys-and-channel-4-launch-groundbreaking-cookery-show-whats-cooking-from-the-sainsburys-kitchen/
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the pilot was bland and unoriginal BUT that it was exactly what I expected it to be, so it may well, do well in daytime.

Saying that AFP tend not to do very well, this may not escape the curse.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: at Dallas. A total disaster. Just over 700k (and just over 800k with +1). Are Channel 5 really going to accept these types of figures for another 14 week? It will probably go down even further too! :eek: That said, it was a very good season opener last night and viewers don't know what their missing. I hope C5 run with it still in that slot.

Its more likely to go up in the next few weeks and settle at 1 million with the death of JR. After week 7 don't know.

A lot of people did not realise Dallas was on Tuesday
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    Would someone mind posting the rest of the figures? Would be interested to see how the gameshows did.
This discussion has been closed.