I find it a bit sad that a story about a s**g has got so much attention on here.

DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
Forum Member
✭✭
I admit that Kat is one of my disliked soap characters of alltime, but that honestly has nothing to do with it, because i'd think the same about this stroy if it involved a character i did like.

Have soaps sunk so low that dire trash like this becomes a major talking point?:(

Comments

• MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the way they did it, people may think having the identity secret was a load of bollocks, but it was a very smart move by the writers, its had people talking for months, and now its been revealed, its still got everyone talking. I'll admit, I was getting fed up and just wanted to know, but I think the story has been pulled off well, not to mention it showed how good Shane and Jessie are. Besides, I prefer this way to the normal...oh look, they're having an affair storyline, its only a matter of time till they get caught. At least this one added something new to it to keep it unique and fresh.
  • royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the way soaps are going. Murders, affairs and money trouble are no longer compelling so they have to try new angels. Corrie is doing it now with Kylie
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree; there's been far too much time wasted in speculating about who Kylie is going to s**g on christmas day.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek and his cigar at the end seemed random.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikaRimmer wrote: »
    Its the way they did it, people may think having the identity secret was a load of bollocks, but it was a very smart move by the writers, its had people talking for months, and now its been revealed, its still got everyone talking. I'll admit, I was getting fed up and just wanted to know, but I think the story has been pulled off well, not to mention it showed how good Shane and Jessie are. Besides, I prefer this way to the normal...oh look, they're having an affair storyline, its only a matter of time till they get caught. At least this one added something new to it to keep it unique and fresh.
    I agree.
    Had it been revealed from the start that Kat and Derek were having an affair I don't think the storyline would have garnered nearly as much interest.
    The "Whodunnit?" aspect was what kept people talking. Every time they gave away a clue, or one of the guys was counted out of the running, there was always a lot of discussion about it.
    The central story just happened to be about an affair, but soaps often use the same device with other central themes to keep viewers in suspense and keep them tuning in (e.g. Who beat up Cain?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps have always been this way.
    There is nothing new here at all. It keeps people interested because they can relate to it in real life.
    'Always give the people what they want' Rule one in the entertainment game.
  • dannysaysdannysays Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Benllech wrote: »
    Derek and his cigar at the end seemed random.

Lol it was a bit OTT but quite funny....basically Derek looking at Alfie as if to say 'Come on then, cos I don't give a sh*t' haha. Which is what you would expect from Derek. He really won't give a toss who he hurts in this.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the way soaps are going. Murders, affairs and money trouble are no longer compelling so they have to try new angels. Corrie is doing it now with Kylie

I think you mean 'angles', although the idea of some sort of heavenly entity getting involved is no more ridiculous than the affair s/l itself!
    Anya D wrote: »
    I agree.
    Had it been revealed from the start that Kat and Derek were having an affair I don't think the storyline would have garnered nearly as much interest.
    The "Whodunnit?" aspect was what kept people talking. Every time they gave away a clue, or one of the guys was counted out of the running, there was always a lot of discussion about it.
    The central story just happened to be about an affair, but soaps often use the same device with other central themes to keep viewers in suspense and keep them tuning in (e.g. Who beat up Cain?)

Yes, but not a good way! It's been ridiculed to the point of completely destroying any credibility it might have had. The overwhelming majority of those 'talking about it' are taking the mickey out of it (or worse!) and those talking about it positively either are very easily pleased, or are the ones with a vested interested in making the s/l loved by the viewers (in other words, the writers and producers of EE).

Everyone's talking about it? Maybe, but most would sooner have had something better to talk about!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its sad that this the lengths that soaps have to go now days to get people to watch,the times of quality writing and though out plots are long gone, replaced by Jeremy Kyle style reveals to get cheap quick fixes, I'd enjoyed the reveal because I just wanted the damn thing over with, but even that was drawn out to stretch the minutes.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    But it is standard soap fare. Cheap, trashy stories with a bit of a sex angle. That is what most soap watchers seem to like. Nobody is interested in subtlety or well crafted storylines which use consistent, believable characters. That is too boring and too much like hard work I presume.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    There is nothing new here at all. It keeps people interested because they can relate to it in real life.
    'Always give the people what they want'
    Rule one in the entertainment game.

OK, I admit it: I laughed when I read this:D. And I'm not sure that was the intended response.

My dear klendathu, no-body wanted this because no-one can relate to it their real life. But you know something, I betcha this s/l will be nominated for some BSA award come next year and win it. God knows, they'll need something to justify torturing us for more than 6 months. So maybe in a rather perverse ironic way, you are probably right:p.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    2002 - Trevor and Little Mo
    2012 - Kat and Alfie

Yep, downhill I'd say.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    I admit that Kat is one of my disliked soap characters of alltime, but that honestly has nothing to do with it, because i'd think the same about this stroy if it involved a character i did like.

Have soaps sunk so low that dire trash like this becomes a major talking point?:(

Ken , Deidre and Mike the Corrie affair was flashed across the board at a football game and in the papers, so its nothing new that a plot becomes a talking point when so many people watch.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find pathetic is the amount of users on here so impressed by the word shag:rolleyes::confused:
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, Dixon, I fear we get the TV we deserve. Soaps and RTV shows regularly get 8 - 10m viewers. Quality dramas featuring the country's top actors struggle (by and large) to get 4m viewers. Personally I watch every serious drama available, but when I see the ratings the next day, I often wonder why they bother. :(

If you were a TV producer, (particularly for a commercial channel), what would you choose? :(
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I totally agree; there's been far too much time wasted in speculating about who Kylie is going to s**g on christmas day.

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so you make another thread about it adding to all the others.. ok
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I don't see how it's any different to the interest in Den's cheating and divorce, and the ' who got a schoolgirl up the duff ' from the early years. Dirty Den gave us the first two big storylines of the show.
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    'Always give the people what they want' Rule one in the entertainment game.

No, a public service soap also has a mission to educate the audience and judging by the deplorable 'shagger' storyline the BBC has a very low opinion of the average viewer.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I don't see how it's any different to the interest in Den's cheating and divorce, and the ' who got a schoolgirl up the duff ' from the early years. Dirty Den gave us the first two big storylines of the show.

A grown man getting a schoolgirl pregnant would be controversial even now, whereas standard affairs have been done to death now.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    A grown man getting a schoolgirl pregnant would be controversial even now, whereas standard affairs have been done to death now.

Yes it was even more seedy.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »

To be honest I think that would be even more shocking now than it was then.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikaRimmer wrote: »

I have to agree. I didn't mind the storyline, though it would have been even better to have a Kat stalker storyline and then have the stalker (Derek) knock Alfie out and force himself on Kat which would have given Kat more sympathy as a character and made everyone hate Derek even more.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »

With how PC television has gotten nowadays, I'd hazard a guess that if they'd done the Den and Michelle storyline in the last 5 years it would have been a huge controversy. Be a bigger deal than it was in the 80s that's for sure.
  • Julie_SmithJulie_Smith Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Am waiting for the dot and cora go dogging storyline