v+ vs tivo

mobilymobily Posts: 261
Forum Member
Hey all

I have v+ and my dad has Tivo.

Is there any difference in channels you can access via the 2 boxes? E.g. I note Tivo has radio catch-up but I don't think v+ has this? It also looks like you can record radio on Tivo but not v+.

I know Tivo is better than v+ but I only think I'd get it if it offered more access to shows.

Thanks!

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    There is no difference in the TV channels offered on both. One thing I can think of off hand is if you have Sky Movies HD as part of your package there is Sky Movies HD (not sure if this includes SD) on demand available to you only through Tivo.
  • mobilymobily Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Hi

I think you're right regarding movies as my dad has movies and has a decent on demand selection.

Do you know if you can record radio on Tivo but not v+?
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I have just tried and it has let me set a recording on a radio channel. Plus see this forum on the VM website http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/TiVo-and-Radio/td-p/457617
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    You can record radio on the newer small V+, but not the original larger ones.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    V+ is a more responsive box. Tivo lags a bit.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    V+ is a more responsive box. Tivo lags a bit.

Not in my experience. Tivo is just as quick.
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I have tivo and v+ and generally they perform about as quick as each other and each have their pros and cons.

For me pros/cons for each

V+
    Pro:
    iplayer owns tivo variant
    Proper display on unit which also shows time when on standby :D
    Con:
    Have to fully power down the unit each night, sick of the HD spinning up to Max every 20 mins to do a defrag or summit

Tivo:
    Pro:
    Apps like Spotify (though it sucks :D), youtube
    User interface
    Remote volume works on my Onkyo amp
    Cons:
    Record series links feels like an unpolished turd.
    Sometimes when bringing the guide up will highlight a program that's also ready finished and not whats currently on
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote: »
    Cons:
    Record series links feels like an unpolished turd.

Eh? The TiVo series link functionality is far nicer than the V+\Sky+ version. It automatically reschedules clashes and remembers a series link forever once it's set up, unlike the V+\Sky+ version where you have to set it up again everytime the program goes off air for more than a few weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    mobily wrote: »
    Hey all

I have v+ and my dad has Tivo.

Is there any difference in channels you can access via the 2 boxes? E.g. I note Tivo has radio catch-up but I don't think v+ has this? It also looks like you can record radio on Tivo but not v+.

I know Tivo is better than v+ but I only think I'd get it if it offered more access to shows.

Thanks!

i have had both.. honest truth,i dont know much about tivo,i cant give u any answers about tivo,but i found it,the v+boxHD picture quality was much better than tivo..
    my v+boxHD was samsung and the tivo was sisco..
    plus the sound quality was better on my samsung v+boxHD was much better and louder.. thats all i can say..
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tavis75 wrote: »
    Eh? The TiVo series link functionality is far nicer than the V+\Sky+ version. It automatically reschedules clashes and remembers a series link forever once it's set up, unlike the V+\Sky+ version where you have to set it up again everytime the program goes off air for more than a few weeks.

No, it's pants. New does not mean new on the series and channel you want, it means it has been shown on another channel you may or may not subscribe to.

The only way to ensure you record the whole series on a channel is to record everything and then delete all the repeats.