Adam Kelly promoting Scientology?

Comments

• kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hulakula wrote: »
    That makes so much sense, clearly there are evil forces at work here :D. Personally, I think the Devil's sanctum is more apt :p.

Not forgetting 'The Pit of Evil' (Court thread):D
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tozzie wrote: »
    seems everytime anyone dares to disagree with what they perceive to be right then one is 'trolling' good god what happened to having an opinion other than the one someone else may have.....ooooo I better not say that though or I will be accused of trolling too .....Lord have mercy :eek:

Sadly there is a point where some BB supporters become obsessive fans in the same way as fans of actors and singers and leave their critical facilities behind!
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »
    DS stands for 'Dark Side' apparently!:D

This place has been called that at least as far back as 2005, and in a way rightly so.
  • maidmarymaidmary Posts: 4,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very clever of this scientology cult to put on a respectable front through drugs education programmes while concealing their true agenda of recruiting. And it works.
  • ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the part of the puzzle I'm having trouble understanding. If Drug Free UK is a front for Narconon and Narconon's ulterior motive is fleecing vulnerable addicts for $100,000s, surely they WANT people to be on drugs. So what point is a drug prevention project unless it's little more than a PR stunt to convince people Scientologists aren't all evil?
  • dash234dash234 Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah. I am stunned. Although I didn't want Adam to win.. I did like the guy. He was boring, but seemed nice. Judging by his tweets - I am thinking he's just ignorant on the subject, but when someone urged him to investigate more on it - he seemed unwilling to do so, then the groupie came along and backed him up.

I understand people get sucked in when they're ignorant on the subject, but with all the controversy surrounding it already.. coupled with the warnings someone tweeted him-- you'd think he would be more cautious before he continued aligning with them. That's so irresponsible and lazy..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess when you have an addictive personality you're not very good at seeing the big picture. When you're on drugs you just see the next fix and how it'll make you feel better. You don't see how it'll wreck your health in the long term, how it's upsetting your family or how your money's going to some criminal drugs cartel. Likewise with Adam now, all he's seeing is that he's telling kids to stay off drugs. He's not seeing the motives of the Scientologists, how all this is going to be used in their propaganda, what a bad reputation Narconon have got or how their methods have been dismissed as dangerous quackery.

It's like an addictive personality can never really be cured, they just swap a dangerous addiction for a more socially acceptable one. Normally it's God or exercise, in Adam's case it's evangelising against drugs. Dave from BB11 is another one (as much as I've been trying to bleach him out of my brain).

This story's been picked up by Private Eye and the Times Educational Supplement. I see activists have also been contacting councils, local drug teams and the newspapers. So hopefully these schools will learn exactly who this team represents and can make a properly informed choice as to whether they're suitable people to be allowed access to their pupils.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Eh? I don't remember either of these 2.:confused:

Neither do I! :eek: Maybe someone here can tell us more to jog our memories.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ValW wrote: »
    [cut]
    This story's been picked up by Private Eye and the Times Educational Supplement. I see activists have also been contacting councils, local drug teams and the newspapers. So hopefully these schools will learn exactly who this team represents and can make a properly informed choice as to whether they're suitable people to be allowed access to their pupils.

Ah, that's interesting. I don't do Twitter. Just wondering if Michael Gove (or the Department of Education) is on Twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, Val. People who are in mental turmoil and/addicted to drugs are the easiest to manipulate and take advantage of. Personally, I can't figure out which is worse for a person-- drugs or Scientology.. I'd say they're even.

If anyone is wondering; Scientology has the same rep in the United States as it does in Europe. I am sure you guys already knew that since the protests have been posted on YT and other websites, but I just wanted to make sure to point out - that's it's not like he is ignorant because he lived in the US for a big portion of his life -- a good amount of the population knows and protests this group.. so if he wanted to study up on it - there is tons of information stemming not only from Europeans but Americans as well.

I am actually really shocked and appalled by this "news". I did like him, but to not study up on something you're promoting is dangerous, irresponsible and reckless.
  • Noisy OysterNoisy Oyster Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dash234 wrote: »
    True, Val. People who are in mental turmoil and/addicted to drugs are the easiest to manipulate and take advantage of. Personally, I can't figure out which is worse for a person-- drugs or Scientology.. I'd say they're even.

If anyone is wondering; Scientology has the same rep in the United States as it does in Europe. I am sure you guys already knew that since the protests have been posted on YT and other websites, but I just wanted to make sure to point out - that's it's not like he is ignorant because he lived in the US for a big portion of his life -- a good amount of the population knows and protests this group.. so if he wanted to study up on it - there is tons of information stemming not only from Europeans but Americans as well.

I am actually really shocked and appalled by this "news". I did like him, but to not study up on something you're promoting is dangerous, irresponsible and reckless.

Thank you for that. I had wondered if Scientology was regarded differently in the States and that was why Adam didn't see anything wrong in associating with this group.

I wish he would take the warnings more seriously. He is trying to promote an important message but if he isn't careful he could end up being barred from doing work like this in the future and that would be a real shame as I'm sure he has a lot to offer.
  • Oliver Loxton-POliver Loxton-P Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing stinks. Adam is only thinking about himself here. It is ALL about him. He just wants to feel better about HIMSELF. He point blank refuses to look at the bigger picture despite numerous people presenting him with a ton of evidence.

Adam is a former criminal who in the past has committed some of the most appalling crimes. Here we have a man who will quite clearly go to any lengths to appease his own conscience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that. I had wondered if Scientology was regarded differently in the States and that was why Adam didn't see anything wrong in associating with this group.

I wish he would take the warnings more seriously. He is trying to promote an important message but if he isn't careful he could end up being barred from doing work like this in the future and that would be a real shame as I'm sure he has a lot to offer.

Oh yeah, it is definitely talked about here. There are protests all over the US in different cities across the US. I've seen one in action where I live.. I didn't protest, but I was in the area and saw the protesting.

NYC and L.A. has had some HUGE protests, as well as Clearwater, Florida --which is Scientology's headquarters.. but there are protests in probably every state in the U.S. The protesters coordinate specific days and across the nation - in different cities - they protest.

The biggest disaster for Scientology in the United States - was when Tom Cruise went on the Today show with Matt Lauer and revealed his arrogance and ignorance towards mental illness... specifically about postpartum depression in regards to Brooke Shields. People in the US really started researching and talking about Scientology here.

That's when I started to really pay attention and while researching - I realized the movement against Scientology had been going on --within the United States - for decades.. so it had already been brewing, but Tom Cruise's bad behavior really pushed it through the bubble in America.
    The whole thing stinks. Adam is only thinking about himself here. It is ALL about him. He just wants to feel better about HIMSELF. He point blank refuses to look at the bigger picture despite numerous people presenting him with a ton of evidence.

Adam is a former criminal who in the past has committed some of the most appalling crimes. Here we have a man who will quite clearly go to any lengths to appease his own conscience.

It is SO disappointing, Oliver. He could have really been a role model to people who are trying to make things right in their life -- people who had previously screwed things up bad.. It is never too late to turn your life around, assuming that you're not a rapist or murderer.. He could have been a mentor to former criminals..

As far as I am concerned, his involvement is just sheer laziness. If he spent even an hour searching around the web - he'd realize what a bad decision it is to hook up with these people and run far, far away..

:(
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Birds of a feather ...
    It really wouldn't surprise me at if it turns out that Adam is a fully fledged Scientoloony :o
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValW wrote: »
    This is the part of the puzzle I'm having trouble understanding. If Drug Free UK is a front for Narconon and Narconon's ulterior motive is fleecing vulnerable addicts for $100,000s, surely they WANT people to be on drugs. So what point is a drug prevention project unless it's little more than a PR stunt to convince people Scientologists aren't all evil?

All of it is to get people into Scientology and Scientology is all about the cash, whether it comes through donations or labour. This 'church' has a history of taking 16-year-old British children and shipping them off to America.

To convince a child of 15 to sign a billion year contract you have to start the indoctrination early.
  • Noisy OysterNoisy Oyster Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen a tweet from Adam with a photo showing what he says is the Moss Side Police supporting the Marathon for a Drug Free UK. It turns out to be a Fire Station Manager not the Police although the gentleman concerned says the event was supported by the Greater Manchester Police too.

Does this mean that the above posters are only scaremongering and it is a genuine cause?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they're contacting these organisations I doubt the word Scientology ever enters the conversation. There's no mention of the church on their website or literature, although there's a page about Foundation For a Drug Free World (the international name of this project) on the official Scientology site. Other religious community projects don't hide their roots, so why would Drug Free UK unless they know it'll be too controversial?

The bigger picture is it gives propaganda value to the church. They can now claim logically that Greater Manchester Police, Liverpool FC, MK Dons and all the other places they've been photographed support a Scientology project. Of course they won't mention that these organisations had absolutely no idea who they were letting in. They can boast they've given out X-thousand booklets, even if most of them have gone straight in the bin. They could even use photos of the kids in their propaganda, which would probably horrify their parents. As The Dove mentioned, who's to say they wouldn't use that to lure in impressionable teenagers, whisk them away to the other side of the world and ban them from contacting their loved ones?

Another potential problem is that if someone they came in contact with later developed a drug problem, they might think, "oh I remember those Drug Free UK people, they'll help me out of this." I'm sure the only support they would be offered is through Narconon and their dangerous regime involving poisonous levels of Niacin and the psychological "therapy" of studying Scientology.

I doubt the footsoldiers sent out to do this tour can see the bigger picture and, on a superficial level, I'm prepared to believe their hearts are in the right place. Adam's certainly is. He had a party over the weekend to celebrate being 9 years sober. He talked about it being his mission from God to help young people keep off drugs. I don't doubt for a second he means that and I admire him for it. It's just a pity he's teamed up with this dodgy cult to do it, rather than going through any of the legitimate drug prevention agencies in this country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A postscript to this story. Having done plenty of research on these issues to make sure I was understanding them properly, I'm now getting AdChoice adverts for Scientology on various sites, including on Digital Spy's homepage. One just says Free Personality Test (which I've learned is one of their key phrases), the other blatantly says Get The Facts On Scientology.

Well I did get the facts and I ain't reaching for the bargepole to touch anything to do with that skanky cult. :p As much as I love a bit of self-analysis I'll keep to safe methods like Myers-Briggs in order to understand what makes me and others tick.

I doubt DS has any say in what AdChoices feeds onto their site. I do find it uncomfortable though that such a dangerous organisation can get this easy access to vulnerable people.
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen a tweet from Adam with a photo showing what he says is the Moss Side Police supporting the Marathon for a Drug Free UK. It turns out to be a Fire Station Manager not the Police although the gentleman concerned says the event was supported by the Greater Manchester Police too.

Does this mean that the above posters are only scaremongering and it is a genuine cause?

No it shows why Scientology and Narconon hide behind different names and front groups and why it's vital for cult critics to keep exposing them for what they really are.

Adam says he will be appearing on BB-related shows this year. Anonymous will be watching just in case he tries to shill for the cult some more.
  • CowieCowie Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think he's very popular with anyone. He finished second in one of the worst Big Brother's in living memory.

The days of Big Brother stars being hugely popular with the public are long gone anyway. It's now a poxy wee show which has been 'demoted' to Channel 5. Ratings are nothing like it was in it's heyday.

I think it was more that in his work prior to BB he was popular. Unpopular people working with troubled teens don't tend to last long in the job. He'd been doing it for a few years so must have been popular among the kids he worked with.

I'm totally suspicious if he is claiming he doesn't know about this group. He's been around long enough to not to blindly take things at face value.

They must be paying him a lot?
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    No it shows why Scientology and Narconon hide behind different names and front groups and why it's vital for cult critics to keep exposing them for what they really are.

Adam says he will be appearing on BB-related shows this year. Anonymous will be watching just in case he tries to shill for the cult some more.
    I hope Anonymous don't try and bring this argument you have with Adam to Big Brother shows like BOTS by invading the live show or something.
  • qwesqwes Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I hope Anonymous don't try and bring this argument you have with Adam to Big Brother shows like BOTS by invading the live show or something.

Excellent idea. Thanks buddy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just stumbled across this video that shows Adam and co's Quebec equivalents getting a bit shirty, followed by documentary footage explaining what goes on in the school lectures and how Quebec is clamping down on it.

http://youtu.be/CLyKqj38CCM
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Narconon of Georgia have surrendered their license to operate in order to avoid prosecution.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/narconon-of-georgia-surrenders-license-avoids-pros/nZ7Sw/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know what Ads is doing now. He tweeted something yesterday about being at work, hopefully not with the scientologists.