Hanging socks out on the washing line...

trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I hang the washing out I like to hang the socks in pairs so that they are easy to put away. This morning I hung up nine single socks before I found the first one of a pair and by the time I'd finished I only had three actual pairs. I still only accounted for a handful of the singletons after looking in the dirty clothes basket, drawers and behind radiators. I can only assume the washing machine has eaten them...

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that little story.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Cool story bro.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the last two posters do not know about the sock monster............be afraid trphil, be very very afraid!!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need sock chums, little plastic gadgets that you pin your socks together with before you wash them, never lost a sock since I started using them. E-bay about £4
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the last two posters do not know about the sock monster............be afraid trphil, be very very afraid!!

The sock monster is truly scary. It eats at least 3 socks a year in our house. At least.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    The sock monster is truly scary. It eats at least 3 socks a year in our house. At least.

It's at least 3 a week in this house.:eek::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one point I had acquired an entire carrier bag full of odd socks. Talking to a friend, I found that she also had a carrier bag of odd socks. We never did quite get round to adding them together to see if they mysteriously made pairs.
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hang mine with my knickers never seem to go missing though.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    How do you hang socks on the washing line? Do you peg them by the toes or by the welt?
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    3PS wrote: »
    I hang mine with my knickers ...

Interesting. Most people seem to hang them with clothes pegs. :)
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    How do you hang socks on the washing line? Do you peg them by the toes or by the welt?

I hang them with a peg at the hole end, until just now I didn't know that was called the welt! :cool:

A couple of years ago I decided to avoid the problem of odd socks by only having plain black ones that are all the same but after a few months where some would have been washed more than others they started to become odd through shrinkage which made them even harder to pair up. Now I have black ones with different coloured toes and heels but you still can't pair them up if their partner isn't there!

Maybe I should just stop wearing socks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    You need sock chums, little plastic gadgets that you pin your socks together with before you wash them, never lost a sock since I started using them. E-bay about £4

I am repeating myself I know but it does seem to be the answer.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think someone on DS is stealing my socks to make sock puppets.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Do you peg them by the toes or by the welt?
    Was I the only person who had the Google what that meant?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am repeating myself I know but it does seem to be the answer.

They do look good actually, would make hanging them out a lot easier too. The only problem is the pictures on E-Bay seem to be using them on brand new socks straight from the shop, will they work on dirty used socks too? :D
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't bother pegging them on the line, I just hang them over the edge of the wash basket outside. They are put in they wash with the welt tucked over so that they stay in their pairs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »

Nah, I'm too lazy to do that, I'll just assume it's the top/opening of the sock. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe the sock monster is a close relative of the Gap monster that lives on the London Underground....

I recently noticed that I have 9 pairs of "Black" socks....each pair a slightly different shade from all the others but close enough that if you put them on in a dull room you don't realise you have odd socks until you're in full daylight.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Treble wrote: »
    Nah, I'm too lazy to do that, I'll just assume it's the top/opening of the sock. :)

The welt is the K1 P1 ribbing at the opening of the sock, the bit where you put your foot into it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now ordered. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The welt is the K1 P1 ribbing at the opening of the sock, the bit where you put your foot into it. :D

I think we should try to drop this into conversation. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    They do look good actually, would make hanging them out a lot easier too. The only problem is the pictures on E-Bay seem to be using them on brand new socks straight from the shop, will they work on dirty used socks too? :D

They even work on my husbands socks worn for a 16 hour manual job so yes they work on the stinkiest dirtiest socks too. But I am guessing they wouldn't show that in the ads :D
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I don't bother pegging them on the line, I just hang them over the edge of the wash basket outside. They are put in they wash with the welt tucked over so that they stay in their pairs.

I was told you shouldn't do this as the tops become baggy
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I was told you shouldn't do this as the tops become baggy

My socks don't have time to become baggy. I have adamantium steel toenails that seem to shred through socks no matter how short i cut them. They sometimes destroy my shoes as well. Do they sell reinforced socks out there?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Odd socks are the bane of my existence.

Whenever I do the washing I put pairs of socks in and put them back in pairs when I take them out again.

Alas, we have a dog who likes to steal socks and hide them which can make this a challenge and the missus just washes whatever socks she finds lying around and it drives me nuts that whenever I bring the missus' washing in it always consists of dozens of single socks. :(