The Warm and Tranquil Room! (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really helps if the music for the dance is lyrical, I love Moon River for the waltz. I will probably ask for a foxtrot next time though as it is my favourite dance. Really we should be getting on with the latin but it is lovely to be able to do some ballroom now and again. Dont have much of problem getting my own way.;):D

Have to work on spirals and spins mostly this week and getting the arms right in the rumba. and the Jive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Everyone!!

Had nice new year's day in Glasgow at OH's niece's new house. Very nice very modern. Still having some trouble with palpitations but pills are helping. Got appt for hands but its in May so have to enquire about that as they havent actually said what its for.

EJ did you watch Dancing on Ice? Hate what they've done to it. Why is K Barber back on the panel grrrrrrr. Why an ad break after every skate and it took 20 mins or more to get to the first skate. Just as well I taped before watching.
    Glad your dancing is going well.

FT how are you? How does HRH like the incessant rain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star I am not surprised that DOI is struggling for ratings. Putting karen and Jason back in it shows how desperate they must be. Karen only there because she is Chris Dean's bit on the side!

I preferred it with Katerina as a judge.

It really annoys me that they call it "Dancing" on Ice ehrn it certainly isnt Ice dancing. It is actually pair skating, ice dancers are not allowed to lift over shoulder height, some of what they do is dangerous and more like Adagio skating.

Glad to hear you are getting better Star. It does seem a long time to wait for treatment to your hands though.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re. Dancing On Ice, here we go again with poor Beth as Louis Mark II being humiliated for not emoting when she was clearly very good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has gone really quiet on here now, I kind of expected that, at least until the tour gets underway.
    Watched DOi last week and thought Pamela might be a gonner.

The dance school is over run with overseas couples coming in for training and someone managed to break a radiator off the wall.:eek: We thought maybe one or two idiots trying to sit on it.:mad:

We did my favourite dance this week, the foxtrot. fitting in a ballroom dance means missing out one of the Latin ones each time but it is worth it as ballroom is my first love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SNOW and sleet. At least the sleet is not allowing much snow to settle just yet.
    Dog needs a walk, it is going to be a wet and cold one.

Forecast was for more snow later in afternoon so it will probably get worse..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, It is freezing cold here and there has been some snow but it has melted again. Its very wet and dull here.
    Have got bored with dancing on ice already. Why do they keep tampering with perfectly good shows!!:mad:

EJ how are your eyes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have got some dreadful weather here. It snowed a lot and then started to melt and then it has frozen so the footpaths are treacherous. I have sanded the road outside but no one else seems to be bothered even though we live on a hill. grit sand is provided at the bottom of the hill but most people seem to think it should be done for them, lazy lot.!

Star I am going to try to get an appointment to see my GP which is difficult to say the least. I want to be referred to Moorfields if possible.

I am finding DOI very boring. They are trying to up the ratings by messing with the programme but I dont think it is working.
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Hi Elizabeth, mention of your eye troubles reminds me of an experiment when I tried to dance ballroom figures with eyes closed, to see if I would become more aware of my body. This did not work. I could hardly move, and my dance teacher said she was the same.

It's dancing by eyes not by legs then. There is wheelchair dancing, but the blind do not attempt dancing much. Below is a blind paralympian dancing on Australian DWTS with a sighted pro partner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5rV04pI9zc

Could it be that denial of vision inhibits leg movement, with partial impairment inhibiting movement partially? By contrast a touch typist has no need to see the keyboard, and a classical pianist can play in the dark (I preferred it). However, typist and pianist knows every square inch by heart, not so the dancer.

In foxtrot reverse wave I move backwards sightless like reversing a car without wing mirror or turning my head, and probably suffer from hesitancy not present when moving forward with clear sight. As a compromise I now try to focus on a spot in front of me to encourage the brain to deduce what is behind me. I wonder if this psychological benefit accrues from spotting in VW which I have yet to try. ;) What do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soulmate I dont know the answer to that. It is possibly different for the man and the woman. I have talked to my teacher about it and he thought he could keep me dancing. I think he is relieved that so far he hasnt had to but he does know that it is possible.
    I can follow his lead without looking where I am going just becuse we have worked on the idea of interpreting his lead correctly. I dont think Latin will be possible without sight, I can go in the wrong direction even with sight.:D
    Spin Turn will tell you there is someone who goes to her dance school who is blind and I dont think it is unique in any way.
    Should I ever have to try it I think that because I have done the ballroom routines so much it will be a help, I do them from memory most of the time now and a strong lead also helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one posting on DS much right now.

I am still trying to get my head round the fct tht I had a taxi home from the station and it seemed as if the driver didnt have his meter on and didnt know what to charge. Next day he was back knocking on the door saying he had overcharged me and handed me the difference. HOw is thatr for a first!!!!!

having got rid of the snow it is now raining non stop. I can deal with that I guess so long as I can get to my dance lessons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EJ that is a first. Ive never heard of a taxi driver doing that. Cold and dull here. Lots of rain too. Fed up with it. Though its not as cold as its been so shouldnt complain too much.

FT how are you and how is your brother doing? What does HRH think of the weather?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star we couldnt get over the shock for ages. The first time a taxi driver has ever done that s far as I know.

I am trying out a PainPen which works on the same ides as a Tens machine only it is small and portable..It helps the arthritis pain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy pancake day everyone.

We had rain on Sunday until the river overflowed, then snow overnight into Monday. It is really cold though the snow is slowly disappearing thank goodness.

The only thing to look forward to at the minute is dancing on Friday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems as if a lot of threads have disappeared from the for ofum. There are now only two pages, hs someone been doing a cleanup?

I am seriously considering asking to be referred to Moorfields as I really dont have much confidence in the local hospital any more after the charade they performed last time. Could elect to go the John Radcliffe or Stoke Mandeville but I think Moorfields has a good reputation and it is easier to get to than either of the others.

When I go on the train to my dance lessons I can tell that the eyesight is getting worse again as I cant read the departure boards again. I have had reason to complain to the train company about the rudeness of some the staff telling me to read the information on the boards and refusing to tell me the information I need. If I cant read the boards there isnt much point of looking at them:confused:
    They are not all rude but I seem to be able to pick the ones who are.:rolleyes:

Probably about 12 weeks to the medal exams so I am trying to work hard on the routines.
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Would it be feasible to keep a pair of small binoculars like opera glasses in your handbag. That way you need not ask potentially rude persons. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I should take some powerful distance glsses with me but I always forget when I am rushing to get the train.
    I do watch other people a lot when I am travelling and I notice the difference between londoners and the rest of the country. Mostly in London people go around with Ipods in their ears and a complete disregard for anyone else.
    On Friday for example I got on the tube and a lot of people rushed on at the last second and barged into me and others. A young man got up and offered me his seat and his friend got up and steadied me to it as I was in danger of being pushed over. These two men were not Emglish their accents were possibly Polish or something like that. They were courteous and friendly and it really shows up the attitude of others in the capital.
    People generally push their way thrugh and never say excuse me or thank you or sorry. I think that is quite sad really what is happening especially in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am being haunted by Moon River every time I put the tv on. I wish they wouldnt use the lovely music like Moon River for stupid adverts for a bar of chocolate.:mad:

I love the tune, we use it for the foxtrot though I do understand it can be used as a waltz if it is adjusted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, Im still alive. Life has been a bit mad for a while. More hassle with dss (almost sorted out though may have to go to tribunal to try and get a decision overturned). Leg been playing up and v painful. Apart from that im fine. I recently won a very nice bottle of whisky courtesy of the Sunday Express. It arrived today and I have been admiring it all day lol. Will wait till OH is here until I try it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heloooooooooooooo where is everyone its very very quiet in here. We have had snow but it has melted again. Still very cold though,

EJ how is the dancing going and how are your eyes? How does Floss like the cold weather?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Star, it is very quiet in here right now. We have got cold weather but so far very little snow thank goodness.

Dance lessons are going well, hust need a lot more speed especially for the jive.
    Not got any further with the eye problem yet, not sure what I want to do about it yet.
    How are you doing with your hands? Have you had the surgery?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ej, my hands are much the same. I havent had anything done yet as I have to wait till may to see the consultant again. I am an expert at waiting these days lol.

Glad the dancing is going well. As for your eyes you can only do what is best for you. Have they told you how much risk is involved in the operation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ej, my hands are much the same. I havent had anything done yet as I have to wait till may to see the consultant again. I am an expert at waiting these days lol.

Glad the dancing is going well. As for your eyes you can only do what is best for you. Have they told you how much risk is involved in the operation?

Have handed in a letter to my GP as getting an appointment to see him is almost impossible. I want to know what he thinks and I explained exactly what happened when I went in for the eye op.
    Just had a very satisfying lesson when all of the dances were going well apart from a few odd things I need to work on. Hopefully will be ready for the exam. in June.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star miracles do happen sometime. I got a phone call this evening from my GP and he was telling me that his secretary was exploring the possibility of referring me to Moorfields Eye hospital which he tells me is actually the best hospital in the world for eye problems. As we dont live in London he doesnt know if I can be referred there. Fingers crossed that I can.

I was really surprised that GP actually phoned me. He is a very good doctor and as he is rumoured to be retiring the surgery will be worse off without him.

How are your hands? My friends daughter in law has just had operations on both her hands for the Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. She is ok now.

It is very quiet on here, everyone seems to have taken a holiday.
  • Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    Happy Birthday Star. I hope you're having a lovely day. :D