Are we all expected to download films now that HMV's gone?

Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now that HMV is closing, does this now mean that we will find it harder to find physical copies of a movie and expected to simply just download the film because thats not gonna happen in my case....

I absolutely despise downloading and wouldn't wanna just stream the movie off the internet.

I have only just started getting Blu-Rays the last couple of years and love them!

So what options have we now got for buying films and making sure we now OWN them for the rest of our lives?

Where exactly can I actually buy films now apart from Tesco or Amazon? Does this mean I have to buy them on my playstation or something or from my Virgin Media box?

Could someone explain all the options if the physical copies decline because I can't understand why people wouldn't want to own a physical copy. How disposable is that!

Comments

• nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    It's a sad state of affairs. The choices will be as you have laid out - download, supermarket or online. I have issues with all three, but will use them from time to time.

Download - poor quality, high chance of losing the film/forgetting where it was downloaded from.
    Supermarket - poor selection when you try to come out of the current chart releases.
    Online - lead time too slow. When I buy a film, it's usually because I want to watch something that night.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sainsburys have the best selection and better prices than ASDA in my town.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It's a sad state of affairs. The choices will be as you have laid out - download, supermarket or online. I have issues with all three, but will use them from time to time.

Download - poor quality, high chance of losing the film/forgetting where it was downloaded from.
    Supermarket - poor selection when you try to come out of the current chart releases.
    Online - lead time too slow. When I buy a film, it's usually because I want to watch something that night.

Netflix quality is brilliant.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Netflix quality is brilliant.
    When compared to a BluRay disc?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky films are great quality however pricey
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into HMV last night and it was really quite busy. I don't know if it was people browsing for a bargain or people who genuinely want the HMV brand to survive. I bought 6 DVDs, 5 CDs and a t-shirt and got them for £66, a great price but only because of the Blue Cross Sale and 2 CDs for £10. I love browsing in HMV and they do stock a lot of my chosen genre, cheesy zombie films. I have never seen any that I would want to buy in a supermarket and I'll old school too, love actually seeing what I am buying and talking to staff. I do buy some things online but I hope HMV will survive in some shape or form, not including the staff who could lose their jobs.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've no intention of downloading stuff that I want to rewatch. I'll continue buying Blu Rays from HMV while they remain on the high street and if necessary will buy mail order after that. I like to collect physical discs just as I like to collect CDs and paper books.

For stuff I'll watch just the once I'll continue with Sky Movies and Lovefilm for the rarer titles. I know that the BFI intend digitising their entire film and TV archive and presumably the major producer/distributors will do likewise. For rarer titles not available in physical format I would pay to view on demand.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I think for alot of people they will just do what they did before which is either buy online or from the supermarket.
    I must admit the only times I ever went into HMV was to browse and only ever spent if there was a bargain. Why would I buy new releases from there when I could get them cheaper elswhere.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never buy films from HMV anyway, either supermarket or amazon are the best places.

Since being charged £50 for 2 Auf Wiedersehen Pet dvd's a few years ago i haven't shopped their again.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Since being charged £50 for 2 Auf Wiedersehen Pet dvd's a few years ago i haven't shopped their again.

I would have left them there at that price.

Regarding Netflix. It's quite good quality, but god forbid someone in the house gets bored and checks facebook while you're watching something. Pixel city.

Not to mention the pixels that hog the screen at the beginning of everything you watch. Sometimes i have trouble trying to read who's involved during the main credits, it's that bad.

Also, they rarely have subtitles, and i live in a very noisy house.

Bluray and original dvds cannot be beat.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Regarding Netflix. It's quite good quality, but god forbid someone in the house gets bored and checks facebook while you're watching something. Pixel city.

Not to mention the pixels that hog the screen at the beginning of everything you watch. Sometimes i have trouble trying to read who's involved during the main credits, it's that bad.

Surely that's all dependant on your Broadband speed so its not going to be like that for everyone.
    I used to when my speed was low, but since getting BT infinity I've not suffered any issues at the start or when others are online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys have the best selection and better prices than ASDA in my town.

Sainsburys online store has a good selection as well, i was surprised how many films they stock.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »
    Now that HMV is closing, does this now mean that we will find it harder to find physical copies of a movie and expected to simply just download the film because thats not gonna happen in my case....

I absolutely despise downloading and wouldn't wanna just stream the movie off the internet.

I have only just started getting Blu-Rays the last couple of years and love them!

So what options have we now got for buying films and making sure we now OWN them for the rest of our lives?

Where exactly can I actually buy films now apart from Tesco or Amazon? Does this mean I have to buy them on my playstation or something or from my Virgin Media box?

Could someone explain all the options if the physical copies decline because I can't understand why people wouldn't want to own a physical copy. How disposable is that!
    I don't buy DVDs or Blu-Rays myself but if I was going to buy a physical copy then HMV would have been far down on my list.

It would have been something like
    Amazon
    Play
    eBay
    ASDA/Tesco online

and if I went into a shop it would have been ASDA, Tesco or Morrisons before going into the town centre/high street
  • TijerTijer Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    hmv arent closing.... yet...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been buying Blu Rays exclusively from Amazon for years and will continue to do so. The last time I purchased something in HMV was a couple of years ago when I used up an HMV gift card I got for Christmas...and used it to purchase an iTunes gift card.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we have the likes of Amazon and Play that sell cheaper, but, I sometimes wonder if some of the freeloaders that download via illegal torrents also contribute to the downfall of Companies? there any many on here that boast they download this that and the other, never have to buy anything, why should I type thing, it does not hurt anyone, they make enough money etc, etc, but at the sharp retail end, no one buys, no income, no store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    I know we have the likes of Amazon and Play that sell cheaper, but, I sometimes wonder if some of the freeloaders that download via illegal torrents also contribute to the downfall of Companies? there any many on here that boast they download this that and the other, never have to buy anything, why should I type thing, it does not hurt anyone, they make enough money etc, etc, but at the sharp retail end, no one buys, no income, no store.

Interestingly there's quite a lot of research that suggests pirates have to tendency to buy a lot of product as well as illegally downloading. Chances are however, they're smart enough to shop around and find the best deal (which 99% of the time, was not HMV)...
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    Bad business decisions are what contribute to the downfall of these companies, not piracy.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're acting like HMV is the only place that sells films :-s
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're acting like HMV is the only place that sells films :-s

Added to the thread I saw that seemed to think they also propped up the british film industry .. :rolleyes:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »

Asda sell DVDs and Blu-rays as well. Amazon's got every DVD going though.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Sainsburys online store has a good selection as well, i was surprised how many films they stock.
    Yup, often undercutting Amazon's prices too. It is sad for the high street, but sadly it does look like businesses that solely focus on digital entertainment are going to find it very hard, businesses need many other income streams. Sainsburys also doesn't have the in-town property rent issues that HMV had to anywhere near the same extent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why do people think Amazon are the only online store to buy physical discs?!?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    And why do people think Amazon are the only online store to buy physical discs?!?!
    name some other decent stores please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »

Could it be because Amazon have a tendency to be the cheapest and have the largest selection?