Why Don't You Speak English? - 23/7, Channel 4, 9PM

13»

Comments

• theidtheid Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    I think this was less to do with learning English than spending time away from people speaking your own language, which means you have no option but to concentrate on English. There are thousands of people who have been here for decades and still don't speak English, particularly in communities where it's not acceptable for women to be outside the home without a male member of their family. I always wonder how they cope with written English - signs, forms etc. Ditto all those English folk who never mix with local people in Europe and never learn the language of their adopted country. Weird.

I did feel sorry for Apple (? - the Chinese lady) and Fabien, who had to deal with English spoken with quite a heavy accent by their hosts.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the programme in which foreigners teach English people how to speak English. In some parts of the country, teenagers seem to peak either Australian, or a comical type of bastard Jamaican patois.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    Thought it was a far better programme than I had anticipated. Matching the elderly couple with the orphaned African girl initially looked a real mismatch. It however turned out to be a real tear jerker that worked. Lovely to see how they both understood each others grief and brought something to each others lives.

Even the Irish landlord seem to become more human as he got to know his Columbian learner more. Think its a classic case of us all having our own prejudices - but once we get to know the person the religion/language/colour becomes secondary to the relationship.

Loved the relationship between the Polish girl and the Indian lady - something very sweet there. The elderly lady did well to bring out the best in the Polish girl - as she was initially starting to really irritate me.

Very clever programme combining humour and emotion. Looking forward to next week's episode.

What a lovely post. I agree with everything you've said. The Polish girl was really, really annoying me and seemed to be taking the piss but something clicked between her and the Indian mum.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the programme in which foreigners teach English people how to speak English. In some parts of the country, teenagers seem to peak either Australian, or a comical type of bastard Jamaican patois.

If English teachers in English schools can't teach English children to speak English what hope is there? If "yoof" want to speak "street" or patois then let them, but dear god make them learn English as well so that they are bi-lingual.
  • HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for tonight. :)
  • peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every job, every work experience placement, every home (all in short supply) that goes to an immigrant is one less for the natives. How can that be fair?
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it strikes me they've gotten more help than i ever have, job-wise, home-wise. And I was born here. Oh well. C'est la vie. I'm not begrudging them that. Just would appreciate some support.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it strikes me they've gotten more help than i ever have, job-wise, home-wise. And I was born here. Oh well. C'est la vie. I'm not begrudging them that. Just would appreciate some support.

Let me guess you were educated here for free age 5-16, from age 16-18 you would be offered work based training or further education or indeed employment. You ask for help here and mostly people receive it - UK citizens like to think they are hard done by, but this is one of those rare nations were people are helped cradle to grave - most of us wouldn't survive in the USA.
    Every job, every work experience placement, every home (all in short supply) that goes to an immigrant is one less for the natives. How can that be fair?

Firstly we are part of the EU and the Commonwealth, those people will come here for a new life, better prospects. Most are welcomed lgally, some others sneak in. Do you agree with Commonwealth nation doctors/nurses? - who are literally supporting the NHS, it would not function 100% without them being here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right I take it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry , we used to be applauded for protecting our island now we are called racist .
    I am tired of hearing hard luck stories when we have our own problems.
    We have people with no homes yet immigrants are given flats and houses.
    Yes I have been educated etc in this country , my family have been here for centuries , they paid their taxes as I have to.
    We cannot take on the ills of the world , we are drowning and our identity is being eroded.
    We are a small island we cannot go on like this .As to hospitals etc , we wouldn't need so many with less people.I went to a hospital in London as a visitor 30 yrs ago , there was not one English patient there.
    Immigration has to stop .I have sympathy for these people but we cannot keep on accepting these people to the detriment of our own,its not fair .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Let me guess you were educated here for free age 5-16, from age 16-18 you would be offered work based training or further education or indeed employment. You ask for help here and mostly people receive it - UK citizens like to think they are hard done by, but this is one of those rare nations were people are helped cradle to grave - most of us wouldn't survive in the USA.

Firstly we are part of the EU and the Commonwealth, those people will come here for a new life, better prospects. Most are welcomed lgally, some others sneak in. Do you agree with Commonwealth nation doctors/nurses? - who are literally supporting the NHS, it would not function 100% without them being here.

You are extremely patronising to the poster.No doubt she and her family have paid tax for years, it wasn't all for free.
    Many of us are completely concerned at the level of immigration to this tiny island.We have a right to be , we have always tried to protect our country , it is normal not abnormal.
    There will be forever sad stories in this world ,we cannot keep taking people in , we have been doing it for years .

Its not racist to be concerned for your beloved country.
    We have plenty sad stories and cases of our own.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Guessing you missed the bit about Sifa's history and Fabien sleeping rough then.

The help they are getting is with learning English. Do you need that?
    I think the poster has answered that question for you :D
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is why there are so many homeless people in the UK yet an immigrant can come over and get a house and benefits? I welcome to be corrected and I know lots of immigrants come to work here and pay for the standard of life they have like the rest of us. But that Polish girl who hasn't worked at all, that really annoys me when there are homeless people who would love to get what she does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I think the poster has answered that question for you :D

:rolleyes: I didn't make a mistake btw.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lue wrote: »
    Its not racist to be concerned for your beloved country. We have plenty sad stories and cases of our own.

Ever been out for an Indian or Chinese meal?
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could understand the Colombian guy and the Chinese girl more than the Irish guy and the northerners teaching them English

*Londoner*

lue wrote: »
    Sorry , we used to be applauded for protecting our island now we are called racist .
    I am tired of hearing hard luck stories when we have our own problems.
    We have people with no homes yet immigrants are given flats and houses.
    Yes I have been educated etc in this country , my family have been here for centuries , they paid their taxes as I have to.
    We cannot take on the ills of the world , we are drowning and our identity is being eroded.
    We are a small island we cannot go on like this .As to hospitals etc , we wouldn't need so many with less people.I went to a hospital in London as a visitor 30 yrs ago , there was not one English patient there.
    Immigration has to stop .I have sympathy for these people but we cannot keep on accepting these people to the detriment of our own,its not fair .

Good luck with that
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of being vilified I'm prepared to say I agree with lue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Ever been out for an Indian or Chinese meal?

why have you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    At the risk of being vilified I'm prepared to say I agree with lue.

Thanks cuza , strange how wanting the best for your country,to protect it and being fair to its own people means you are nasty piece of work and vilified.
    We used to get a medal.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It said the Colombian chap had a Masters Degree and 10 years experience of the oil industry, and instead of leaving Colombia (Number 3 of the Spanish speaking oil producing countries)

Behind

1, Mexico (2,983,000 BBL - barrels of oil a day

2, Venezuela (2,375,000 BBL),

3, Colombia (797,000 BBL)

4, Argentina (763,600 BBL),

5, Ecuador (490,000 BBL)

then finishing the top 10 in order......

Equatorial Guinea, Peru , Cuba, Bolivia, Uruguay....

He chooses to leave the Continent of South America to move to Spain, where they barely produce 28,000 BBL/per day....&.have one of the biggest unemployment crisis in Europe, and have been in recession since 2008

You have to ask why he moved to the UK.......when he had 9 other countries which spoke his language and have huge oil refinieries and need for experienced staff.

Then not even try and get a job, in the UK's Oil region in Aberdeenshire... (1.390,000 BBL/daily)

Most people with a Masters Degree and 10 years oil industry experence would WALK into jobs in those countries.......

A quick google, unearthed 100's of jobs for Spanish speaking experienced oil industry workers

If he could master the English language and prove his qualifications and CV, he could be earning a fair wedge.......

I can't understand WHY he come to the UK???

The Rwandan/Congolese lady, at least tried to learn, but I do wonder why she avoided every other country possible to get to the UK....
    Rwanda recongnises French and English as two of their official languages, and the official Language of The DRC is French....So why not go to countries like Morocco, Tunisia where French is widely spoken, or whats wrong with France, Belgium etc

I understand her reasons for fleeing genocide and a terrible life.......but why the land of milk and honey.....

Is it the UK NHS and Benefits system which makes it much more attractive....??

That Polish woman was POINTLESS, 2 years in the UK, and so adamant she didn't need to impress potential employers, nor did she look like she wanted to work......or learn..

Apple, the Chinese woman, with NO skillset whatsoever, only in the UK because of her husbands work, neither of whom spoke English (no doubt in a job that isn't neccessary (Chef, waiter perhaps)

Poor girl got put with two people who hadn't a clue how to teach her anything......

With nearly 3 million people unemployed, and over 300000 (of the ones whom are recorded) a year coming in, no wonder its difficult for British nationals to get jobs, houses, educations, health treatment etc

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted