How can we stop Militant Atheists?

Comments

• Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    ,,,. If they just ignored religion, it would go away eventually.,,

May I suggest you have a look at the evidence for the current rise in the number of Faith schools in this country?

http://www.humanism.org.uk/news/view/837

Religion is not going to just go away. Indeed as individuals cease to be religious it appears that religions seek even more institutional power to compensate for their lack of spiritual influence.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the OP, but I would like to see certain types of atheist stop deriding and insulting anybody who believes in a god. It really makes me angry and I'm not even religious.

So, does it make you angry that I call God imaginary? Or maybe that I call God of the Bible the most evil entity we've ever described?

I generally direct my words at the beliefs and their contents themselves, and not individual persons. It's not really about the one-to-one conversation for me anyway, that's not why I participate on public forums.
    I want them to stop making arses of themselves. Atheists don't need manifestos, or organisations, or leaders, or alternative ceremonies.
    The majority of people in Britain are atheists not because they have been convinced by the arguments of atheist writers, but because religion has simply lost its place in the modern world. It's not something they need to think about.
    And I want them to stop being so rude.

Religion has lost its place because it's being replaced by knowledge that we can see real world results from applying. The beliefs are being challenged. And that's what it seems to me that the OP is unhappy about.

Of course I would be fine with people having their beliefs to themselves, if they actually kept them to themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With every major religion working hard at recruiting people, attacking education and facts, even working towards turning their countries into theocracies, if they're not already so?

Yes. Obviously the state and religion should be separated, but at the end of the day religion is trying to hold back the tide of reason, and it will not succeed.
    The third world is a different proposition. They aren't as clever as us.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I'm not religious, I'm an Agnostic. I don't know if there's a God.

But Militant Atheists are just as bad as the religious groups they fight.

Forcing their ideals on everyone just like some religious people.

Can it be banned?

I think the phrase "militant atheist" seems to be magiced up my the religious. You cannot be militant about something you don't believe in, I would say. I don't know any non-religious person who has tried to force their lack of religious belief on someone.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't stop them. They are HUGELY entertaining.
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »
    I think the phrase "militant atheist" seems to be magiced up my the religious. You cannot be militant about something you don't believe in, I would say. I don't know any non-religious person who has tried to force their lack of religious belief on someone.

:D Those militant atheists know no limits. What with their demands for an atheist head of state and and atheists seats in the house of Lords and atheist schools and atheist hospital chaplains and atheist tax exemptions and atheist exemptions from animal slaughter regulations etc.

Actually hang on they have not demanded any of those things have they? :D
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    :D Those militant atheists know no limits. What with their demands for an atheist head of state and and atheists seats in the house of Lords and atheist schools and atheist hospital chaplains and atheist tax exemptions and atheist exemptions from animal slaughter regulations etc.

:D
    Even if there were atheists demanding such things it'd still be a push to call them 'militant'! No believer is classed as militant just for supporting such privileges for religious organisations after all.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't win against militant atheists.

They will win in the end. Sadly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »

They want to take over Thought for the Day!

Actually, I would love to hear an atheist Thought for the Day. It should be five minutes of total silence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I find them as irritating as religious zealots. Any individual who refuses to discuss and totally rubbishes another persons belief system, either way, is boorish.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    I find them as irritating as religious zealots. Any individual who refuses to discuss and totally rubbishes another persons belief system, either way, is boorish.

The trouble is, I wonder how many care if people compare them to their religious counterparts. They probably have as poor a view of their critics as they do religious people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blind belief in something that cannot (currently) be proven one way or another, whichever side of the fence you sit, without even listening to debate and totally discounting the opinions of everybody else is just ridiculous.

I defend everybody's right to believe what they like ... as much as I defend people's rights to question them.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Actually, I would love to hear an atheist Thought for the Day. It should be five minutes of total silence.

300 seconds better then. :p
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member

Why?
    Atheists have beliefs - there's no god belief
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    The trouble is, I wonder how many care if people compare them to their religious counterparts. They probably have as poor a view of their critics as they do religious people.

I doubt they care a jot. To them they are right, everyone else is wrong. Just like the zealots.

Both are arrogant with their views.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an atheist and find some of them pretty annoying too.

I largely try to avoid the religious debates, I've been involved in one so far, but its rare.

Let people believe what they want to believe as far as I am concerned.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,621
    Forum Member

It pretty much already is in our household, provided I get to the radio quickly enough.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I'm an atheist and find some of them pretty annoying too.

I largely try to avoid the religious debates, I've been involved in one so far, but its rare.

Let people believe what they want to believe as far as I am concerned.

As long as it doesn't harm or affect others
    Forum Member

Really? personally I am all for keeping Thought for the day religious. A regular dose of Anne Atkins does more for atheism than I could ever do.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's correct
    I would not describe most religious groups as bad:)
    DO you really believed that this ' forcing' goes on:confused:
    atheism can never be a religion or described as militant
    I agree with your first statement
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

I agree with your first statement

What requirements must be met in your opinion for something, e.g. atheism, to be labelled 'militant'?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    What requirements must be met in your opinion for something, e.g. atheism, to be labelled 'militant'?

Action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    If there was a rise in atheist attacks on religious people, then those blathering on about 'militant atheism' might have a case, but the harshest actions I've seen by these supposedly aggressive atheists are a few barbed words and some impatience.

Hardly in the same league as the September 11 attacks or the numerous inquisitions of the Catholic Church.

it's a bit naive believe that all the people that use religion for their own purpose (that don't have anything to do with the religion) are real religious people. they are just clever
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can it be banned?

God should smite the blighters. He's good at that.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    it's a bit naive believe that all the people that use religion for their own purpose (that don't have anything to do with the religion) are real religious people. they are just clever

So does that make truly religious people doubly gullible? Not only do they believe in something that doesn't exist, they also let themselves be used by unscrupulous people. Remember, it's the faithful flock that gives these people their power. Without followers there can be no leaders.