How do i get McAfee??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
Forum Member
Hey people i have recently signed up to sky broadband and im unsure of how to get McAfee. I actully already have it on a 12 month subscription which is due for renewal this month so i have the software already. Does this mean i just need a code of sky or what?

Comments

• Media bodkinMedia bodkin Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    It is pre-loaded on the set-up cd you get with the router
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better to load it from the Sky Broadband website as the version on the CD is old and not very good. The link on the website worked fine for me and it is the newer version. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Could you please provide a link to it on the sky broadband website? i cant seem to find it. Thanks Eddie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please Please Please do yourself a favour and don't get it.

Stay well clear from McAfee it is absolute pants the same as Norton is.

Both can really screw your system up if your not carefull.

Only want to offer my advice at the end of the day but you have been warned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    sasker wrote: »
    Please Please Please do yourself a favour and don't get it.

Stay well clear from McAfee it is absolute pants the same as Norton is.

Both can really screw your system up if your not carefull.

Only want to offer my advice at the end of the day but you have been warned.

Who would you use then?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikeyd127 wrote: »
    Who would you use then?

Ditto.

I spent 3 hours early this morning putting McAfee on my parents computer, and hooking them up to Sky. The software failed to installed correctly on four occasions...this was on a brand new computer.

To the OP: when u install it, try to do directly from the McAfee site rather than the Sky site.

I really didn't like putting it on their computer ...but what is a good the alternative?
  • timcox3477timcox3477 Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Use AVG free edition. Very good program, small tiny and not bloated. Sure it doesnt look as "pretty" but a lot more light wait and does the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    timcox3477 wrote: »
    Use AVG free edition. Very good program, small tiny and not bloated. Sure it doesnt look as "pretty" but a lot more light wait and does the job.
    Second that. Even automatically downloads free updates every day. AVG Free here.
    And Zone Alarm Free if you need a firewall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the Sky McAfee and it is fine. You just have to know how to use it. It gives good protection. Do you really think something that is 'free' is going to give you the same protection as a pay service? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote: »
    I use the Sky McAfee and it is fine. You just have to know how to use it. It gives good protection. Do you really think something that is 'free' is going to give you the same protection as a pay service? :D
    Uh, in a word; yes!
    Forum Member
    Godders wrote: »
    Uh, in a word; yes!
    Agreed! AVG free edition is a great free product and trust me if you use it you will never pay for a virus product again:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does not give you firewall protection and the windows one is rubbish. :D
    Forum Member

Agreed about firewall (although the vista one is an improvement). Also as stated above get zone alarm. Also nothing really to worry about as the router is already a type of firewall.:)
    Forum Member
    Correct on both counts. But AVG or avast coupled with zone alarm or Sygate firewalls will give you just as good protection as macafee or norton (and they won't clog your machine up either).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct on both counts. But AVG or avast coupled with zone alarm or Sygate firewalls will give you just as good protection as macafee or norton (and they won't clog your machine up either).

Fair enough. I have never had any problems with McAfee though. I guess you have to have a pretty good system to start with and make sure it is configured well. Having said that this newer version of McAfee seems a lot better than the old one. We use AVG at work and I hate the way the updates pop up when you are trying to write an email! :D
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it works well but having to pay for it, having to have a well specced sytem just to run it properly (I do have an OK system but would rather the CPU/RAM resource was going elsewhere) and then having to spend time "configuring" it isn't for me. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it works well but having to pay for it, having to have a well specced sytem just to run it properly (I do have an OK system but would rather the CPU/RAM resource was going elsewhere) and then having to spend time "configuring" it isn't for me. :D

I got it free for a year so maybe I will change it to AVG next year! lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Cheers for all the replies guys! i have to be honest and say that ive been really happy with mcaffee so ill probaly take up sky's 12 month offer as its pretty generous! ive heard good things about that avg software as well though so if i start to have problems i may turn to that!