New Doctor Who Fan (Part 3)

Comments

• weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    That man is such a hottie!!!! :D Looking good in blue!!! :D EPIC hair!!!!

I *stole* a couple, Thanks Sol :D:D - but now can't decide which one to have as my wallpaper!

I might do a "split screen" thing in Paint and have both!! :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    It's totally bizarre isn't it and actually really sad. I'm in your category too - which I'm sure you knew! ;) I don't understand a lot of those attitudes. RTD has done an amazing job. He has brought back a wonderful programme and made it a flagship show for the BBC, loved by a whole new generation. With Chris and Billie initially they started with a bang, running, let's say and they haven't stopped. Obviously in my opinion, it has gone from strength to strength with DT as he has grown in the role making it well and truly his own - people who have never even 'got' Who before are in love with David Tennant. Whether one likes him or not, likes RTD, or not, that fact, that success, is something, surely, to be celebrated not berated. This excitement, this coming together of generations to watch a programme doesn't happen very often, in fact just seems to happen for reality shows now, so they should be applauded not vilified.

I think each person is a fan in a different way. What you point out is very true, and I'm sure that the BBC execs also think in those terms. But fans are different from execs.

In a sense, I can understand some of them. For example, I am a bit amazed at those people who sing the praises of Star Trek since the movie, but who still hate all the TV series because it's old, because the CGI isn't good. And I feel like these people are missing the point and that the movie was ok, but wasn't really Star Trek.

So I think that for some DW fans, New Who is what the latest ST film is to me. Though I wouldn't go as far as calling those who like only the ST film names. I don't recognize them as ST fans, that's all.
    That man is such a hottie!!!! :D Looking good in blue!!! :D EPIC hair!!!!

I knew you'd like it :D

Edit : Weedle and Dgem, you're welcome too :D Weedle, I think I can do a single image with both using GIMP. Do you want me to try ?
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I *stole* a couple, Thanks Sol :D:D - but now can't decide which one to have as my wallpaper!

I might do a "split screen" thing in Paint and have both!! :D:D:D

i have 3 monitors :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yey for gimp love!!!

ooh that sounds terrible :o
    Forum Member
    Solamenn wrote: »
    I think each person is a fan in a different way. What you point out is very true, and I'm sure that the BBC execs also think in those terms. But fans are different from execs.

In a sense, I can understand some of them. For example, I am a bit amazed at those people who sing the praises of Star Trek since the movie, but who still hate all the TV series because it's old, because the CGI isn't good. And I feel like these people are missing the point and that the movie was ok, but wasn't really Star Trek.

So I think that for some DW fans, New Who is what the latest ST film is to me. Though I wouldn't go as far as calling those who like only the ST film names. I don't recognize them as ST fans, that's all.

Edit : Weedle and Dgem, you're welcome too :DWeedle, I think I can do a single image with both using GIMP. Do you want me to try ?

wooh! pretty please!! :D:D
    Forum Member
    For those who are interested, here are two possible wallpapers with both pictures. It's very basic, don't expect anything as fancy as what Dgem could do !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who are interested, here are two possible wallpapers with both pictures. It's very basic, don't expect anything as fancy as what Dgem could do !

Dont be silly

I LOVE the second one *steals*
    Forum Member
    Dont be silly

If I'm bored in the afternoon, I'll try doing something a bit more fancy though. And as usual, you're all welcome to steal whatever I put online, I really don't own the copyright on any of those ;)

Edit : just did a third one in black and I'm going to do a fourth with a third picture (yep : I'm bored ;) ).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PMSL

Headline on DS

"David Tennant to host buzzcocks"

:rolleyes: welcome to last week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm bored in the afternoon, I'll try doing something a bit more fancy though. And as usual, you're all welcome to steal whatever I put online, I really don't own the copyright on any of those ;)

For days i have been trying to do a "dropped photograph" montage* of DT's tenure. But i just havent had the time or energy lol

*its where you get a whole load of images and add think white borders and shadows and then scatter them around
    Forum Member
    Dont be silly

So DO I!!!!! :D:D:D:D

***nicks a second copy****

blumming heck, he looks sooooo flinging gawjjjjjjjjjj in that one!!

*hot sweats - not caused by menopause :o *

ayeayeayeaye!!

"brain bleach to banish naughty thoughts please!"
    Forum Member
    For days i have been trying to do a "dropped photograph" montage* of DT's tenure. But i just havent had the time or energy lol

*its where you get a whole load of images and add think white borders and shadows and then scatter them around

When you have, the result should be fab. I hope you'll find the time and/or courage to do it !

Just added a third and fourth montage. Same address as above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you have, the result should be fab. I hope you'll find the time and/or courage to do it !

Just added a third and fourth montage. Same address as above.

I have a free hour for lunch in 5 mins so i'll do it then
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is now my screensaver!!! And MY it looks GOOD!!!!! Thanks, love ya!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just doing a photo montage now

Going to do one from series 2 onwards - if anyone has any images they want included let me know.

If it turns out well i may do more - possibly splitting them into series or themes
    Forum Member
    Just doing a photo montage now

Going to do one from series 2 onwards - if anyone has any images they want included let me know.

If it turns out well i may do more - possibly splitting them into series or themes

Three of my favourites are :
    - the face Ten has when he says "it's a fighting hand" in The Christmas Invasion ;
    - in Daleks in Manhattan when he walks on the red seat in the theatre ;
    - in The Next Doctor when he arrives and enjoy the atmosphere of the Christmas market.

I don't know if you could do anything out of these three, but since you asked... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three of my favourites are :
    - the face Ten has when he says "it's a fighting hand" in The Christmas Invasion ;
    - in Daleks in Manhattan when he walks on the red seat in the theatre ;
    - in The Next Doctor when he arrives and enjoy the atmosphere of the Christmas market.

I don't know if you could do anything out of these three, but since you asked... :p

i have found these but dont know if they are what you are looking for
    1)http://www.fidrabooks.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fighting-hand.jpg
    2)http://www.the-medusa-cascade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=191&pos=18
    Forum Member

The first one is what I had in mind. The access is restricted for the second one so I can't check. But please don't bother if it's too difficult finding the images.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an account with the wonderful medusa cascade who do screencaps of all episodes :)
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afternoon Whoonies

Results of the Fave Doctor are in, with the top ten illustrated :D

1 D 4 71
    2 J 10 63
    3 I 9 56
    4 B 2 46
    5 C 3 46
    6 E 5 31
    7 G 7 22
    8 M Dr Harry Sullivan 18
    9 A 1 14
    10= F 6 13
    10= H 8 13
    10= N Dr Jackson Lake 13
    13 O Dr Owen Harper 9
    14 L Peter Cushing 7
    15 R Dr Constantine 7
    16 P Dr Martha Jones 3
    17 S Rowan Atkinson 2
    18 X Dr Toshiko Sato 2
    19 K 11 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And for THIS week's voting I give you the speeches of New Who.

Normal rules apply: Responses to me by Sunday night via PM with your Top 10 Best Speeches and Top 8 Worst ones.

Best ones

1 The Doctor: [turns around] Do you now like I was sayin' about the Earth revolving? [walks toward Rose] It's like when you're a kid. The first time they tell you that the Earth's turnin' and you just can't quite believe it cause everythin' looks like it's standin' still. [looks at Rose] I can feel it. [takes Rose's hand] The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinnin' at 1,000 miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtlin' 'round the Sun at 67,000 miles an hour and I can feel it. We're fallin' through space, you and me, clingin to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... [let's go of Rose's hand] That's who I am.

2 The Doctor: You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs, or beef, or global warming, or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible: that maybe you survive. This is the year 5.5 slash apple slash 26....five billion years in your future, and this is the day, hold on- [looks at his watch, then at the sun] This is the day the sun expands. [Grins] Welcome to the end of the world.'

3 The Doctor: You think it'll last forever. The people, and cars, and concrete. But it won't. Then one day it's all gone. Even the sky. [long pause] My planet's gone. It's dead. It burned, like the Earth. It's just rocks and dust. Before its time.

4 Gwyneth: 'You're from London, I have seen London in drawings, but never like that. All those people rushing about, half naked for shame. And the noise, and the metal boxes racing past, and the birds in the sky- no, no they are metal as well. Metal birds with people in them, people are flying. And you, you have flown so far, further than any one. The things you’ve seen- The Darkness, The Big Bad Wolf!'

5 The Doctor: The Daleks have failed! Now why don't you finish the job, and make the Daleks extinct?! Rid the universe of your filth! Why don't you just DIE?!

6 The Doctor: 'You know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might have removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA there's one little spark left. And that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?'

7 The Doctor: No! 'Cause this is what I'm going to do: I'm going to rescue her! I'm going to save Rose Tyler from the middle of the Dalek fleet! And then I'm going to save the Earth! And then, just to finish off, I'm going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky!

8 The Doctor: 'You know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might have removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA there's one little spark left. And that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?'

9 The Doctor: [as a hologram] This is Emergency Programme One. Rose, now listen; this is important. If this message is activated, then it can only mean one thing. We must be in danger, and I mean fatal. I'm dead, or about to die any second with no chance of escape. And that's okay. Hope it's a good death. But I promised to look after you, and that's what I'm doing. The TARDIS is taking you home. [Rose protests] And I bet you're fussing and moaning now- typical! But hold on and just listen a bit more. The TARDIS can never return for me. Emergency Programme One means I'm facing an enemy that should never get their hands on this machine. So this is what you should do: let the TARDIS die. Just let this old box gather dust. No one can open it; no one will even notice it. Let it become a strange little thing standing on a street corner. And over the years, the world will move on and the box will be buried. And if you wanna remember me, then you can do one thing, that's all, one thing. [turns to Rose, his voice no longer sounding projected] Have a good life. Do that for me, Rose. Have a fantastic life.

10 The Doctor: 1941. Right now, not very far from here the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like Dominoes. Nothing can stop it, nothing until one tiny, damp little island says "no". No, not here. A mouse in front of a lion. You're amazing. The lot of you. Don't know what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me. Off you go, then. Do what you got to do. Save the world.

11 Doctor: 'You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of mine with you. I have to live on. Alone. That's the curse of the Time Lords.'

12 Sarah Jane Smith: No. The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends

13 The Doctor: I'm so old now. I used to have so much mercy. You get one warning. That was it

14 Reinette: My dear Doctor: the path has never seemed more slow, and yet I fear I am nearing its end. Reason tells me that you and I are unlikely to meet again, but I think I shall not listen to reason. I have seen the world inside your head and know that all things are possible. Hurry though, my love: my days grow shorter now, and I am so very weak. Godspeed, my lonely angel.

15 Pete: ' I thought it was the security services, what do I get? Scooby-Doo and his gang! They've even got the van!'

16 Toby: These are the words of the beast. And he has woken, he is the heart that beats in the darkness, he is the blood that will never cease, and now he will rise!'

17 Elton Pope: When you're a kid, they tell you it's all... grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.

18 Rose: [voiceover] Planet Earth. This is where I was born. And this is where I died. The first nineteen years of my life, nothing happened. Nothing at all, not ever. And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end.The Doctor: [with Rose on an alien planet] How long are you going to stay with me? Rose: Forever. Rose: [voiceover] Well, that's what I thought. But then came the Army of Ghosts. Then came Torchwood and the war. That's when it all ended. This is the story of how I died

19 The Doctor: I lied to you, 'cos I liked it. I could pretend, just for a bit, I could imagine they were still alive underneath that burnt orange sky. I'm not just a Time Lord, I'm the last of the Time Lords. The Face of Boe was wrong; there's no one else. Martha: What happened? The Doctor: There was a war. A Time War. The Last Great Time War. My people fought a race called the Daleks, for the sake of all creation. And they lost. We lost. Everyone lost. They're all gone now. My family. My friends. Even that sky. [reminiscent] Oh, you should have seen it! That old planet.... The second sun would rise in the south, and the mountains would shine. The leaves on the trees were silver, when they caught the light, every morning it looked like a forest on fire. When the autumn came, a brilliant glow though the branches...

20 Tim Latimer: He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful.

21 Baines/Son of Mine: He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing - the fury of the Time Lord - and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden... He was being kind.He wrapped my father in unbreakable chains forged in the heart of a dwarf star. He tricked my mother into the event horizon of a collapsing galaxy to be imprisoned there, forever. He still visits my sister, once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might forgive her, but there she is. Can you see? He trapped her inside a mirror. Every mirror. If ever you look at your reflection and see something move behind you just for a second, that's her. That's always her. As for me, I was suspended in time and the Doctor put me to work standing over the fields of England, as their protector. We wanted to live forever. So the Doctor made sure we did.

22 The Doctor: And that's it, I'm afraid, there's no more from you on the transcript, that's the last I've got. I don't know what stopped you talking but I can guess: they're coming. The angels are coming for you but listen: your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe, don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck.

23 The Doctor: [musing] Well, perfect to look at, maybe. And it was, it was beautiful. They used to call it the Shining World of the Seven Systems. And on the continent of Wild Endeavour, in the mountains of Solace and Solitude, there stood the Citadel of the Time Lords. The oldest and most mighty race in the universe. Looking down on the galaxies below, sworn never to interfere, only to watch. Children of Gallifrey were taken from their families at the age of eight, to enter the Academy. Some say that's where it all began, when he was a child. That's when the Master saw eternity. As a novice, he was taken for initiation. He stood in front of the Untempered Schism. It's a gap in the fabric of reality through which could be seen the whole of the vortex. We stand there, eight years old, staring at the raw power of Time and Space, just a child. Some would be inspired. Some would run away. And some would go mad.[beat.] Oh, I dunno.

24 Martha: I travelled across the world. From the ruins of New York, to the fusion mills of China, right across the radiation pits of Europe. And everywhere I went I saw people just like you, living as slaves! But if Martha Jones became a legend then that's wrong, because my name isn't important. There's someone else. The man who sent me out there, the man who told me to walk the Earth. And his name is The Doctor. He has saved your lives so many times and you never even knew he was there. He never stops. He never stays. He never asks to be thanked. But I've seen him, I know him... I love him... And I know what he can do.

25 Tenth Doctor: You know, I loved being you. Back when I first started, at the very beginning, I was always trying to be old and grumpy and important, like you do when you're young. And then I was you, and it was all dashing about and playing cricket and my voice going all squeaky when I shout. I still do that, the voice thing, I got that from you! Oh, and the trainers, and [puts on his glasses] snap. 'Cos you know what, Doctor? You were my Doctor.

26 The Doctor: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?

27 Donna: 'Cause I understand now. You said I was gonna die, but you mean this whole world is gonna blink out of existence. But that's not dying, 'cause a better world is gonna take its place – the Doctor's world. And I'm still alive. That's right, isn't it? I don't die. If I change things, then I don't die. That's… that's right, isn't it?

28 Donna: Brilliant! Fantastic! Molto bene! Great bit of universe packed into my brain. You know you could fix that chameleon circuit if you just try and hotbind in the fragment links and superseding the binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary, binary... [breaks out of the loop and takes a deep breath, while the Doctor looks increasingly pained] I'm fine! Nah, never-mind Felspoon. You know who I'd like to meet? Charlie Chaplin. I've heard he's great, Charlie Chaplin. Shall we do that? Shall we go and see Charlie Chaplin? [picks up a phone, speaks into it] Shall we? Charlie Chaplin? Charlie Chester, Charlie Brown. No, he's fiction, friction, fiction, fixing, mixing, ricks-ing, Brixton... [gasps and doubles over, holding her head] Oh my

Worst ones (only 8 this week :D)

A Rose: I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words. I scatter them...in time, and space. A message to lead myself here. You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space. Every single atom of your existence and I divide them.

B Rose: [exploding with frustration] NO, I didn't mean that! I just... [she tries to calm herself down] But it was. It was a better life! And I don't mean all the travelling, and seeing aliens and spaceships and things, that don't matter. The Doctor showed me a better way of living your life.[looks at Mickey] You know, he showed you, too! That you don't just give up! You don't just let things happen! You make a stand, you say no, you have the guts to do what's right when everyone else just runs away and I CAN'T - [gets up and runs out of the cafe]]

C The Doctor: They took her face and just chucked her out in the street. As a consequence that makes this simple...very, very simple. Because now, Detective-Inspector Bishop, there is no power on this earth that can stop me! Come on!'

D The Doctor: I've seen fake gods and bad gods and demi gods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon, if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her.'

E Davros: Across the entire universe, never stopping, never faltering, never fading. People and planets and stars will become dust. And the dust will become atoms and the atoms will become... nothing. And the wavelength will continue, breaking through the rift at the heart of the Medusa Cascade into every dimension, every parallel, every single corner of creation. *This* is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of reality *itself*!

F TV commentator: The torchbearer is in trouble. This mean that the Olympic dream is dead. Mystery man picked up the flame. It's more than a flame now. It's hope and courage and love.

G River's narration: Everybody knows that everybody dies. But not every day. Not today. [The Doctor uploads her into CAL with her own happy universe] Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, Every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call, everybody lives..

H The Doctor: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    And for THIS week's voting I give you the speeches of New Who.

Hey webby, what about the series 4 quotes?
    cos i havent seen the best/worst yet :confused:

perhaps you can PM them to me?

oh, and E -- WORST??! WHAT DO YOU MEAN WORST! :mad:

Davros rants never go out of fashion! :D
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just can't vote for any of those worst, I just can't, I love them all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Muttley posted the vid two weeks ago :( Post is here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hey, I work with what I'm given :D
This discussion has been closed.