Steven Moffat Q & A - Edinburgh Festival

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Just to let you all know that Steven Moffat will be talking about the sparks of imagination that fuel his writing with host Frank Skinner.

It's his only Edinburgh Festival appearance and there'll be a Q & A for fans of Who and of his career.

https://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/spoken-word/ad-lib-spontaneous-genius

Comments

• codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Ooooh I hope there'll be a podcast or way of listening to this.

Send Richard Herring over with his equipment, he's a fan of Doctor Who too...
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I demand 2 more threads about this a day for the next week! Though if it's supposed to be an ad lib comedy show, and it's actually a Q&A with Moffat, isn''t that a little confusing?

The £17 is an issue too, because last time he did a Q&A in Edinburgh it was £4 to get in and we got to see Asylum of the Daleks a week early.
    Forum Member
    I looked through his post history after I posted....lol welp, dead thread soon enough.

But this type of event is meat and drink to the Edinburgh festival.
    Essential you have Moffat playing "interesting straight man" and Frank Skinner in the comedic role.

It'll be interesting to see if it works or falls between two stools.
    Both guests are likely to bring large fanbases to the event, yet both fanbases will want different things.
    (Who scoops for the Whovians and jokes for the Skinner fans...)

That said, Frank has said before how he's met and got along with Moffat before and his Radio Show on Absolute is sometimes a massive Who Fest after his attendance at screenings of various classic who episodes, etc, so as Frank is a huge Whovian I'm sure this'll be more of a Who chat than a stand up gig ;)
  • Debz_LynnDebz_Lynn Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Frank did a wonderful job interviewing Neil Gaiman, I thought: I'm off to see this tomorrow, with high hopes :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tix now £8.50 @ half price hut on the mound.

Which is nice for the people who paid 17 bloody quid for it!

And yes, I am a cheap Scottish bastard ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In queue.

Anyone who gets a question, ask about missing episodes! :D
    Forum Member
    Was it good?

Is there a podcast? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it good?

Is there a podcast? :confused:

I doubt it, you'd have to clean it up quite a lot to make it PG for the Doctor Who brand. :eek: Skinner was effing & jeffing quite a bit.

Moffat said "That cannot be confirmed at this point" repeatedly when asked if JK Rowling was writing one of the ebook short stories & he implied at the end there was gonna be a storyline issue with the regeneration limit. Every other spoiler type question was answered with "You'll find out in November" type answers.

But yeah, it was good fun. Frank Skinner was on form. (I'm actually surprised we don't hear more about him as a fan, because he was asking ming mong type questions and bragging about seeing An Unearthly Child on first broadcast etc etc.)
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    I doubt it, you'd have to clean it up quite a lot to make it PG for the Doctor Who brand. :eek: Skinner was effing & jeffing quite a bit.

Moffat said "That cannot be confirmed at this point" repeatedly when asked if JK Rowling was writing one of the ebook short stories & he implied at the end there was gonna be a storyline issue with the regeneration limit. Every other spoiler type question was answered with "You'll find out in November" type answers.

But yeah, it was good fun. Frank Skinner was on form. (I'm actually surprised we don't hear more about him as a fan, because he was asking ming mong type questions and bragging about seeing An Unearthly Child on first broadcast etc etc.)

Yeah, I'd recommend his radio show because there's usually a Who section each week (first the jokes were how Frank was desperate for a part, a tiny, 1 scene, no line extra role, dressed up as a monster so he couldn't be seen, a voice over...anything!)
    Then when the role came up the jokes were about what the odds were on Frank getting it...
    Then when Capaldi got it the jokes are now about how similar they look and how Frank feels he can't ever now be given the role (lol) because the point of regeneration is to have the Doctor CHANGE faces and not have the companion wonder if the whole process has failed and the Doctor has exactly the same face :D

He has gone to ever one of the screenings of episodes at the BFI too....proper fan, is Frank. :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'd recommend his radio show because there's usually a Who section each week (first the jokes were how Frank was desperate for a part, a tiny, 1 scene, no line extra role, dressed up as a monster so he couldn't be seen, a voice over...anything!)
    Then when the role came up the jokes were about what the odds were on Frank getting it...
    Then when Capaldi got it the jokes are now about how similar they look and how Frank feels he can't ever now be given the role (lol) because the point of regeneration is to have the Doctor CHANGE faces and not have the companion wonder if the whole process has failed and the Doctor has exactly the same face
    :D

He has gone to ever one of the screenings of episodes at the BFI too....proper fan, is Frank. :)

:D:D
    I can see the resemblance.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I noticed that S.M. stated that he thought Peter Capaldi would be keeping his Scottish accent. I do hope not, We've had one Scottish Doctor already and I must admit I could never take Sylv seriously because of his accent. Ok Eccleston got away with it by claiming that "Every planet has a north" but not every planet has a Scotland.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I noticed that S.M. stated that he thought Peter Capaldi would be keeping his Scottish accent. I do hope not, We've had one Scottish Doctor already and I must admit I could never take Sylv seriously because of his accent. Ok Eccleston got away with it by claiming that "Every planet has a north" but not every planet has a Scotland.

Whereas, of course, it's well known among Galactic travellers that every planet has a southern England.

(I suppose southerners think theirs is not an accent, but "proper" English. Sorry, but it's still an accent!)
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'l like Capaldi to go a bit experimental and prove to us that every planet has a George Formby.
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    I'l like Capaldi to go a bit experimental and prove to us that every planet has a George Formby.

Or a Geordie :) Yeah I know what you mean about Southern English accent (Queens English) but what about a neutral accent, most of the previous Doctors had fairly neutral accents.;
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Or a Geordie :) Yeah I know what you mean about Southern English accent (Queens English) but what about a neutral accent, most of the previous Doctors had fairly neutral accents.;

Eccleston - Northern
    Tennant - Estuary
    Smith - RP/Estuary (its a bit inbetween the two isn't it?)

No such thing as neutral, and none of the recent ones had RP English either if that's what you mean.
    Forum Member
    Spence1115 wrote: »
    Eccleston - Northern
    Tennant - Estuary
    Smith - RP/Estuary (its a bit inbetween the two isn't it?)

No such thing as neutral, and none of the recent ones had RP English either if that's what you mean.

RP English - Estuary ? what do you mean ? i was refering more to Troughton, Pertwee, Baker |C) & McGann all of whom to my ear had "neutral" accents. Baker (T) & Davison had posher accents.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RP English - Estuary ? what do you mean ? i was refering more to Troughton, Pertwee, Baker |C) & McGann all of whom to my ear had "neutral" accents. Baker (T) & Davison had posher accents.

McGann's a blinking Scouser! It's posh Liverpool, but still Liverpool.

I think what you refer to as RP is what most of the country refers to as Estuary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McGann's a blinking Scouser! It's posh Liverpool, but still Liverpool.

I think what you refer to as RP is what most of the country refers to as Estuary.

Actually, Tom Baker also comes from Liverpool. His wonderful voice is a mix of nature and actor's training, it's quite surprising when he occasionally gives it a bit of a mersey twang.