A Gifted Man

julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched this new series a few times about a neurosurgeon who is trying to deal with the unexpected death of his wife and juggle being a consultant at the same time.

Some decent storylines in this new drama.
Anyone else watching.
I think it might be shown on Watch on a Wednesday evening

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »
    Watched this new series a few times about a neurosurgeon who is trying to deal with the unexpected death of his wife and juggle being a consultant at the same time.

Anyone else watching.

It's a very good show, gets better as it goes along. Such a shame it only lasted one series.
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching it and it was ok but seems to have stalled now and it's become more or less like any other doctor type series with a ghost added.
    You could take the Ghost away and it would make very little difference to the episodes.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like it. Very cheesy though! He comes across as superman, can do everything, the greatest brain surgeon in the world! The dead ex wife is very irritating though.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've honestly never seen such a cringy and convoluted show as this! I found it hilarious. The title is exactly the whole plot, he solves everything by being awsome (and reading ahead in the script) everything is spelled out to you in the dialog and the guy is so smug lol.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    I like it. So does my mum. (But then she used to be a nurse and also liked "Medium".)

And it's on Tuesday, not Wednesday :)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I've honestly never seen such a cringy and convoluted show as this! I found it hilarious. The title is exactly the whole plot, he solves everything by being awsome (and reading ahead in the script) everything is spelled out to you in the dialog and the guy is so smug lol.

If you think this is cringy you'd better give "Saving Hope" a very wide berth.:)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    If you think this is cringy you'd better give "Saving Hope" a very wide berth.:)

Yes I had to give up on 'Saving Hope' it was no where near as good as 'A Gifted Man'.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I actually think it would work better without the ghost element.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone else watching.

Yeh I am enjoying it, but was a bit gutted it only got 1 series, mind you i read that the lead actor was pleased it finished he wasnt happy with it or something.

Anyway it wiles away an hour is harmless and the storylines are quite good. I quite like the wife as the ghost ..... she is sort of his conscience isnt she lol...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shock horror in this week's episode,
    one of Dr holt's patients actually died!
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    Shock horror in this week's episode,
    one of Dr holt's patients actually died!

I take it you are referring to the school teacher who had rabies in last night's episode.
    Have to say I find his personal secretary Rita a bit annoying at times.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    The whole thing's a bit OTT but that's also why I kinda like it.

I can also sort of see why it only got the one season. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere in particular. ie by now we should have an idea of why the ex-wife is back as whatever-she's-supposed-to-be. Okay, I guess she's supposed be his 'conscience' now, or something, but ... meh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great ep this week! A kid struck by snow lightning and Michael having an emergency hernia operation that he watched and wanted to stitch up himself! You couldn't make this stuff up! :D
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it you are referring to the school teacher who had rabies in last night's episode.
    Have to say I find his personal secretary Rita a bit annoying at times.

Rita is played by the amazing Margo Martindale who deservedly won an Emmy for playing Mags, the psychopathic hillbilly matriarch in "Justified".:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I am so bored with this show. It was great at first with the ghost coming to visit the doctor and how he was dealing with her death and helping the place where she worked.

But now it's just the doctor who is the hero who helps people that are ill and the ghost is the annoyance that comes to him once in awhile and preaches to him.

No wonder it got cancelled - such a rubbish show.