Beckham to donate salary to charity

RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
Forum Member
Beckham's just announced he has signed for Paris St Germain and will play for free and donate his salary to a kids charity.

the guy has had a lot of stick over the years...but to me this is a very selfless act, he doesn't need the fame or the attention of putting his body through another 6 months of football, and the risk of being labelled 'past-it' if he doesn't play well.

shows he's a genuine guy and a class act to me.

Comments

• CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not particularly like Beckham, I do not like football and all the false pretence and bull manure associated with it but I must give credit to Beckham for this kind act. I have totally changed my mind about him.

Perhaps a few more of the multi-millionaire footballers could consider doing something similar, or at least make a large donation from the obscene wealth they have.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice gesture, but better if it had gone 50/50 to a kids charity in France and one in the UK rather that 100% to France seeing as he's a British citizen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/31/david-beckham-paris-saint-germain
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A praiseworthy gesture indeed.:)
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Nice gesture, but better if it had gone 50/50 to a kids charity in France and one in the UK rather that 100% to France seeing as he's a British citizen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/31/david-beckham-paris-saint-germain

The story (written earlier today) highlights just how much money he is sacrificing. £150k a week was his expected wage, so for 6 months he was looking at approx £3.6M before tax.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol...........there's always one.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...........there's always one.:D

Charming. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gosh, are there really people that have to find something bad in everything? Nothing a celebrity does for charity is ever good enough it seems. How about you donate your salary to a charity in the UK if it is so important to you.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play to him; hope this sets a precedent. Would like to see the likes of Rooney and Ashley Cole following suit - but I won't hold my breath.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always find footballer`s salary`s ridiculous much Credit to the guy always liked Beckham although i have zero interest in the game he always comes across a nice guy
    hopefully more footballer`s might follow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Gosh, are there really people that have to find something bad in everything? Nothing a celebrity does for charity is ever good enough it seems. How about you donate your salary to a charity in the UK if it is so important to you.

Why don't you stop criticising others for having a different opinion? I've said it's a nice gesture, and it is.

I'm not in the millionaire bracket and I'd daresay neither are you, and how do you know I don't donate to charity?
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely gesture, well done to him. :cool:

It is an obscene amount of money to be earning on a weekly basis so it would be nice if other similarly-salaried footballers followed suit, even if just for a couple of months at a time, or even one month, with it going to a charity or cause of their choice. It could make such a difference.

Although I'm sure a lot of them do donate anyway... but it's a great gesture by Beckham that might get that particular ball rolling...
  • Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    it would have been more impressive if his PR team did not leak it out so he could be made SIR and no he was not going to get £150k a week! He never got paid that high a salary in his life.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Beckham's just announced he has signed for Paris St Germain and will play for free and donate his salary to a kids charity.

the guy has had a lot of stick over the years...but to me this is a very selfless act, he doesn't need the fame or the attention of putting his body through another 6 months of football, and the risk of being labelled 'past-it' if he doesn't play well.

shows he's a genuine guy and a class act to me.

And, of course, gives him a £3.6m tax credit against sponsorship deals which might otherwise attract France's now penally high upper tax band, no? People are very naive!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh good old Becks... he's British through and through when there's fuel for Brand Beckham and the publicity machine (think Olympics), but it's funny that he won't live here and I doubt pay tax here.

I wonder what ultimately is in this for him? You get nothing for nothing usually with that pair :rolleyes:
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, of course, gives him a £3.6m tax credit against sponsorship deals which might otherwise attract France's now penally high upper tax band, no? People are very naive!

Really, does it matter if a charity still benefits?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Oh good old Becks... he's British through and through when there's fuel for Brand Beckham and the publicity machine (think Olympics), but it's funny that he won't live here and I doubt pay tax here.

I wonder what ultimately is in this for him? You get nothing for nothing usually with that pair :rolleyes:

Good points.

Also as was said ^ could it be that he thinks it might be a way to a knighthood?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,282
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

Perhaps a few more of the multi-millionaire footballers could consider doing something similar, or at least make a large donation from the obscene wealth they have.

I think lots do..just you don't hear about it as the media usually don't bother with the positives things they do.

Craig Bellamy and the ex Chelsea striker Drogba for example.

Becks is lucky in someways to have positive press because he is a good guy all around with a clean image.

Beckham will be dammed whatever he does...

Its a great gesture regardless of how much he has earnt.

It came out because the question was asked at the press conference so he was honest..which is refreshing.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Really, does it matter if a charity still benefits?

I think I'd rather that high earners paid their fair share of tax so that those in need can be properly supported by the state rather than 'charity'!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I think lots do..just you don't hear about it as the media usually don't bother with the positives things they do.

Indeed, the likes of Colleen Rooney and Alex Gerrard are so concerned by the state of the UK economy, they devote themselves to spending a lot of their husbands' money on expensive dresses and shoes, and then writing about their lives in magazine columns. Warms your heart, doesn't it? :D
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,282
    Forum Member
    Well I did mean the players but ofcourse rich people will spend money on expensive stuff.

Who wouldn't...

Agreed its a bit annoying when they go so public about it but then the papers love it and people read the stories...

Would say Beckham is one of the more likeable football personalities!

Unike the other englisman in French football!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you stop criticising others for having a different opinion? I've said it's a nice gesture, and it is.

I'm not in the millionaire bracket and I'd daresay neither are you, and how do you know I don't donate to charity?

I didn't criticize you. You did, however, criticize him for doing something good because you don't think that's how he should do it.

You don't have to be in a millionaire tax bracket. He is donating his salary which is more than you are doing, even if you are doing something which I never said you weren't.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good points.

Also as was said ^ could it be that he thinks it might be a way to a knighthood?

First of all its buttons to him......so its no big loss.....I bet he gets paid that for standing in his jocks modeling !

I definitely think the Beckhams are aiming to elevate to more titled status as suggested. They were already at the Royal Wedding, Becks and Will seem to very chummy in their roles promoting the olympics. Can Sir David and Lady Victoria be far off !!

I am sure he will have been tutored very well in what charitable acts get him that step closer to the goal.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he can afford it can't he? Got more money than he can ever spend and i agree with previous post, I doubt it's such a selfless gesture as it first appears;)
    Fingers crossed it's not The Cup Trust :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »

You don't have to be in a millionaire tax bracket. He is donating his salary which is more than you are doing, even if you are doing something which I never said you weren't.

Erm yeah, and exactly how many salaries does Beckham have? :rolleyes:

I hardly think you can compare a man who endorses dozens of products and gets paid for each of them with people who work hard for an average salary. What is that money to Beckham anyway? Not much on the grand scheme of things I'd imagine. It's free publicity for him, which is what he wants.
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

It's funny, British players are often criticised for not playing abroad and broadening their footballing horizons, then, when one does, he is criticised for not living here and not paying taxes here!

And why shouldn't he have helped with the Olympics when he was asked to? The whole Olympic team did a fantastic job promoting the country, Beckham included.

He can't win with some people, no matter what he does.