Commercial breaks on ITV1 during the 2011 Rugby World Cup

djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ITV are starting to become a joke now with these commercial breaks!

After the break we are taken back to the opening ceremony and just 60 seconds goes the cue-dot appears and then another set of commercials.

Shame the BBC don't get a share on this like they do with the Football World Cup.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    or at least Sky would show the opening ceremony from the start to the end
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason1970 wrote: »

Yeah, ITV have been poor on showing the opening ceremony.

S4/C seems to have better coverage of the opening ceremony.
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least it is free and everyone gets to watch it. If it had been on Sky not many people would be able to afford it.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason1970 wrote: »

Without any commercials - sounds unlikely !
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The precedent for this would be the Cricket World Cup - anyone know if Sky cut to breaks during the opening ceremony for that - if indeed they show it in full?
  • christwochristwo Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coverage so far is rubbish and the breaks are a joke
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Think I would prefer an Ad break to Lawrence and Sean standing in front of a touchscreen. That really doesn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Think I would prefer an Ad break to Lawrence and Sean standing in front of a touchscreen. That really doesn't work.

I agree that was painful to watch. I was waiting for them to go back to Steve Rider as it looked like it wasn't gonna work.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    Yeah, ITV have been poor on showing the opening ceremony.

S4/C seems to have better coverage of the opening ceremony.

S4/C is funded by £120 million of taxpayers money each year, ITV doesn't have that luxury.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The alternative would be to put ad spots into the games themselves; probably not acceptable to a British audience or the Rugby authorities.

What are the alternatives..... I jest but the question has been raised.... so....

:mad: Change the rules of Rugby to have breaks in play, just like in American Football.

:( Increase sponsorship

:cool: Insert virtual billboards in the TV coverage, and plaster the pitch with virtual chalk logos.

:D Have sponsors songs sung, rather than the national anthems. Or, change the words of the national anthems to reflect a sponsors message.

:o Have the commentators talk persistently about how it is to get drunk on the sponsors' products rather than the game.

:eek: Only show rugby on Sky or the BBC
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercial TV station in showing commercials in quick succession before 45 minutes of uninterrupted sport. Yep, massive shock.

Imagine, if as in Australia, there were commercials inside the match coverage...
    Forum Member
    If the punditry is going to be as bland and uncritical as today's after game backslapping and All-Black adulation ITV might as well fill all of the time before and after the match with ads. Maybe Lynagh will improve things.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    Well at least it is free and everyone gets to watch it. If it had been on Sky not many people would be able to afford it.

Not sure where you get that idea from. It's not like only a few hundred people have Sky Sports.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    If the punditry is going to be as bland and uncritical as today's after game backslapping and All-Black adulation ITV might as well fill all of the time before and after the match with ads. Maybe Lynagh will improve things.

A little unfair to ITV there I feel - there wasn't too much to analyse after a game like that, and the pundits line-up wasn't that different to what would be on the BBC or Sky's coverage (Fitzpatrick is a Sky regular, Dallaglio has done 6N for the BBC).

ITV's effort was competent if not spectacular. Rider was professional as ever, the commentators were OK, certainly no worse than moaning Moore, Jonathan 'Numbers' Davies or 'fair and balanced' Stuart Barnes.

Coverage of the opening ceremony wasn't great, although the Beeb do that with the FIFA World Cup as well. It seems only the Olympics opening ceremony is deemed worthy of full coverage if the tournament is on foreign shores.

Their efforts on the itvPad were a bit poor - but hopefully that will either improve or be ditched.

Ads are something of a given, but at least we didn't have the atmosphere sapping post-anthems, pre-kickoff ad break that both ITV and Sky are guilty of during their football coverage. The 80+ minutes of rugby were shown in their entirety which is all that I really care about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    S4/C is funded by £120 million of taxpayers money each year, ITV doesn't have that luxury.

ITV probably has more money than S4/C but regardless of that, S4/C took an international feed, meaning it was cheap to broacast but still provided a better coverage than ITV during the opening ceremony.

Oh and with 40-45 minutes uninterrupted action doesn't require that amount of ad breaks. There were more add breaks this morning then a Football World Cup match ITV showed last year.

So an excuse to say all those ad breaks was for uninterrupted action is quite lame. Probably ITV once again just being greedy!
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So an excuse to say all those ad breaks was for uninterrupted action is quite lame. Probably ITV once again just being greedy!

Since when did looking to make a profit make someone greedy.

People are making it sound as if the rights were just handed to ITV. They bid for the rights, won them, and are therefore free to do whatever they want with them.

Also doesn't ofcom regulate how many minutes of adverts can be shown within a one hour time frame? I highly doubt this morning was anything out of the ordinary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and with 40-45 minutes uninterrupted action doesn't require that amount of ad breaks. There were more add breaks this morning then a Football World Cup match ITV showed last year.

Slots during a primetime football match will sell for more than slots during rugby matches in the early hours of the morning. ITV will struggle to recoup the £30 million they've spend on rights for this World Cup - it's more of an investment they had to splash out for to secure the 2015 RWC which will be primetime showing and will stand to make ITV a good return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Since when did looking to make a profit make someone greedy.

People are making it sound as if the rights were just handed to ITV. They bid for the rights, won them, and are therefore free to do whatever they want with them.

Also doesn't ofcom regulate how many minutes of adverts can be shown within a one hour time frame? I highly doubt this morning was anything out of the ordinary.

There were 5 full 4-5 minute commercial breaks within 45 minutes this morning a bit extreme for any broadcaster. That to me is taking the piss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Slots during a primetime football match will sell for more than slots during rugby matches in the early hours of the morning. ITV will struggle to recoup the £30 million they've spend on rights for this World Cup - it's more of an investment they had to splash out for to secure the 2015 RWC which will be primetime showing and will stand to make ITV a good return.

The 2002 FIFA World Cup was in these early time slots and I never recalled seeing as much commercial breaks on those games as I have done today. The game today was a 9.30 kick-off, which most Rugby fans won't of had to get up early to watch and others will have probably watch it too.

I can understand that ITV would be after the 2015 rights as most probably Sky would have been after them but if they wanted to show that many adverts within that space of time then they could have organised it alot better and space it out.

Maybe ITV should take a leaf out of S4/C book.
    Forum Member
    ITV has already got the 2015 rights. They were sold as a package because the 2011 RWC is much less attractive to European broadcasters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found ITV commentary so bland I turned over to RTE2 and watched most of the game there. Don't have that luxury tomorrow I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe ITV should take a leaf out of S4/C book.

I never thought I'd find myself defending ITV, but to be fair S4C do only make 3% of their income from advertising versus 100% for ITV, and S4C only have rights to the RWC because the exclusive UK rights holders, ITV, allowed them to.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    I never thought I'd find myself defending ITV, but to be fair S4C do only make 3% of their income from advertising versus 100% for ITV, and S4C only have rights to the RWC because the exclusive UK rights holders, ITV, allowed them to.

Either that or do Welsh language commentaries themselves?
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Without any commercials - sounds unlikely !

They certainly do on the Champions League games (unlike ITV).
  • wasdonkeywasdonkey Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Delete