WARNING- Android Market - The Battery Supercharger

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    As it has literally forced itself upon me, I have also done the mistake to install it...

However, I have not started it and immediately deleted it in the task manager, made sure there were no tasks open anymore and also checked my traffic... according to my traffic app, this application has not sent anything (but I could have been that it ran over the core process?)

Also, it has not sent an SMS as far as I can see that in "Messages".

You can I make sure if it has sent something expensive? I have no monitoring tool from my provider.

Thanks!
  • natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other thing to do is report them to your mobile operator and PhonePayPlus (used to be called ICSTIS).

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

That way they will lose their premium number and may be prosecuted (you have to provide identity details to use a premium service number in the UK). You would report the number that the app sent the messages to, so may need to get this from the mobile provider.

That and getting the app removed will, hopefully, prevent these scum from conning anyone else.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eisflamme wrote: »
    As it has literally forced itself upon me...
    Thanks!

Was that by appearing as an update on the notification bar by any chance? I had it appear there this morning. Most likely candidate out it was an innoculous date display widget I'd installed. The following:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.addetector

flagged that up
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you install this won;t you get the permission message ?

'send SMS - services that cost you money'

Granted it needs to be a two pass password permission but its why the web is safer than APPS.
    These scams are minor compared to larger heists that have always existed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Normally you have to accept the permissions before the app is downloaded and installed, however when I was looking to see what this app was there was a pop up that obscured the app page. I accidentally clicked on that pop up thinking that it would close it but it automatically downloaded it without asking about permissions.

Luckily I have set my settings so that third party apps won't be installed and I quickly deleted the apk file off my phone.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you had experience of it ? Yeah but who reads all the system requirements b4 installing an app.

People with commonsense
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's not the system requirements it's the PERMISSIONS you are giving the app that you are looking at, for example why does a battery app need to be able to make calls or send SMS. You should very rarely continue to install an app that wants those kinds of permissions.

People with common sense indeed, but you know what they say about common sense....

I understand in this case the permissions were obscured though.
  • Richard LongRichard Long Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I got caught by this on my new Archos tablet (with no sim card). Luckily for me I loaded on the free Avast mobile security. It intercepted it and asked if I wanted to uninstall it.

Useful lesson learnt and I'l be checking all permissions in future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the app for Facebook? That also has SMS and it is pre installed on most phones and cannot be removed.
    What would happen if faceache started sending SMS to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the country?
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    What about the app for Facebook? That also has SMS and it is pre installed on most phones and cannot be removed.
    What would happen if faceache started sending SMS to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the country?

Thanks for the heads-up, I don't use Facebook so I had a look at the app (FB for HTC Sense) and although I couldn't uninstall it, I could disable it.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »

I've just checked my phone and it does not require SMS access though I noticed that market place (google play) Facebook for Android does so I am wondering if this is a recent thing ?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there was some (rather inaccurate) press coverage about this back in February. Facebook added the SMS permission in September 2011 and are currently testing SMS intergeneration. Because you can't have two different versions of the app available they needed to add the permission globally in order for the test users to have access to the new functionality.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10151330596285363
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    On my phone there is the FB app which doesn't have SMS and the FB for HTC Sense which does.

I've disabled both in any case and cleared the data from each.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of weeks ago a legitimate app (I assume it was) wanted the ability to send texts etc.

Because of that, I refused it and went elsewhere for the useful functionality I was seeking.
    Even if the Facebook had SMS and no other choice it would not get a look in with me either.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all their power and might Google should be putting a stop to these cretinous apps before they get on the Google app store.

PJ