Samsung screen burn in 2 hours??????????????

My relative has just had Samsung 37" LCD

It gives a warning about screen burn being excempt from guarantee

It says an image could burn in in 2 hours???????

The booklet also warns about black borders burning in

This combination rules out anyone watching a film in original ratio

He's getting quite paranoid about it and tbh so would I

You'd think TV should have a screen saver that cuts in after a while if there is little or no activity on the screen to prevent screen burn (if it's an issue)

I'm quite confident the warning is illegal - any court in the land would say:

Whilst it might be reasonable to ask someone to be careful how they use a car (e.g. not to take it off-roading or lose warantee)

It's not realistic to ask someone to be careful how they 'watch' a TV - If TV has propensity to burn an image in - then that must be sole responsibility of manufacturer (it's a design issue they need to deal with & not visit it on consumers)

but being right and going thro the nasty process are 2 different things - and quite frankly i wouldn't buy a Samsung to avoid the issue being a problem - if the TV was mine then watching it wouldn't be a pleasure so i dont blame him for being concerned

2 hours???????????????

it suggests that if you watch a whole film on a Samsung and it is damaged beyond repair then it's your fault (because you've been warned not to watch for 2 hours)

sounds even more ridiculous - the judge would be howling by now - i would

Anyway folk - you have been warned

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Screen burn is not an immediate issue for LCD TV's as it is for Plasma.

The reason there's no screen saver provided is it's not an issue - because it's an LCD.

Even if it was a plasma screen burn is only something that would affect the screen if a static image was left on for hours and hours, days even. Retention is as bad as it gets these days, and most plasmas have screen cleaning options for retention and special features to help reduce retention like Orbiter or a screen saver.

Tell them not to worry and watch the TV as intended.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoa there, Jethro UK.

First off you say the TV is an LCD. LCDs don't burn. I'm writing this looking at a pair of Philips LCD monitors that probably have 5000+ hours of static image time, yet when I switch to video editing there's no hint of a latent image. So if it is indeed an LCD TV then I'd put your relatives mind at rest.

If this is some form of new LCD technology that no one has heard about and that is susceptible to burn then you really need to tell us the model number of the TV so we can investigate further. What is the model number?

Second, I wouldn't be that surprised if the manual has some general 'catch all' type clauses a bit like American's microwave oven manuals that say 'Don't put live animals in this microwave'.

Until we get a little more info and can make an assessment of our own I think it's a little early to be talking about court cases and a buying ban on Samsung. :)

Regards

Chris
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second, I wouldn't be that surprised if the manual has some general 'catch all' type clauses a bit like American's microwave oven manuals that say 'Don't put live animals in this microwave'.

You're right - I just checked the manual of my 2 year old Samsung LCD. The exact same warning is printed in there as well. It's clearly a generic disclaimer in order to avoid legal issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they had just taken a warning from their plasma TV manuals, (where it might have been relevant,) and pasted it verbatim - swapping "plasma" for "LCD."

(The LCD in question is the subject of a massive owners thread - 461 pages :eek: - at AV Forums and no problems were ever mentioned.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung always put this in their manuals but I have yet to see one that it has happened to; my own LE40M86 is coming up for two years old & it's on for a good 6 hours a day, most nights at least one movie being viewed & no hint of a problem, so don't worry :)
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    ..I wouldn't be that surprised if the manual has some general 'catch all' type clauses

That's exactly what it is - but you cant be dismissive (they wont) - it doesn't invalidate their 'claim' - and if you get screen burn for sure they will throw it at you - it's on one of the very first pages
    ..Until we get a little more info

It is an L.C.D. 37 " screen - as much info as you need i think
    ..it's a little early to be talking about court cases and a buying ban on Samsung.

how about now that you are fully informed

would you buy Samsung LCD with this garbage written on?

like i say - legal or not - they will try to use it

Forum Member
    paulr2006 wrote: »
    .. my own LE40M86 is coming up for two years old ..& no hint of a problem, so don't worry :)

I prolly wouldn't worry if it was 2 years old - i'd worry if it was brand spanking new - and i wouldn't buy a Sammy LCD with such ridiculous disclamer

lawful or not - they will make somebodys life miserable with it

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    I prolly wouldn't worry if it was 2 years old - i'd worry if it was brand spanking new - and i wouldn't buy a Sammy LCD with such ridiculous disclamer

lawful or not - they will make somebodys life miserable with it

2 years ago mine was brand new, cost me £1050 & I can hnestly say I did not loose a wink of sleep worrying about screen burn :D I think only a lack of knowledge would cause anyone to get concerned about that :rolleyes:
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    The warning scared me until I thought about it. My 23 inch Samsung has shown many black border programmes over the last 6 months and no sign of burn-in at all. :)
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is an L.C.D. 37 " screen - as much info as you need i think

how about now that you are fully informed

would you buy Samsung LCD with this garbage written on?
    I appreciate that it's "an L.C.D. ", however with all due respect I don't consider that that means I'm fully informed. I like to make my own mind up after I've had an opportunity to review all of the available information.

As for your question "would you buy Samsung LCD with this garbage written on?" I presume this information only came to light once the manual was read, which is something that heppened after the sale. This is an important fact. If there is a genuine risk of screen burn warranting such a serious warning then it should have been brought to the customers attention before the sale. Since it wasn't then I'd consider it within my consumer rights to reject the set on grounds similar to false advertising. Being a more pragmatic person I would take a different course and play the situation to my advantage.

I think this could be solved quite simply with a letter to the retailer. If it were me I'd say that I wasn't happy that this set appears to have a serious problem with screen burn and that it wasn't pointed out at the time of the sale. I'd go on to say that had I been made aware I would have probably chosen a different TV, and as it stands I'm considering rejecting the goods as being of unmerchantable quality.

I would then go on to suggest that the retailer clarify the situation with the manufacturer and include that information in their reply to me. You're basically looking for a "Get out of jail free" card from the retailer and backed up by the manufacturer. Set a reasonable time scale for a solution to the problem - 21 days should be enough - and say that in the mean time should any screen burn occur during the normal operation of the set then I'd consider the retailer liable as this apparently serious issue wasn't pointed out at the time of purchase.

:)
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    The warning scared me until I thought about it. ..

and what was it you thought that apeased you?

Forum Member
    ..."would you buy Samsung LCD with this garbage written on?"

I presume this information only came to light once the manual was read, which is something that heppened after the sale. This is an important fact. If there is a genuine risk of screen burn warranting such a serious warning then it should have been brought to the customers attention before the sale. Since it wasn't then I'd consider it within my consumer rights to reject the set on grounds similar to false advertising. Being a more pragmatic person I would take a different course and play the situation to my advantage.

I think this could be solved quite simply with a letter to the retailer. If it were me I'd say that I wasn't happy that this set appears to have a serious problem with screen burn and that it wasn't pointed out at the time of the sale. I'd go on to say that had I been made aware I would have probably chosen a different TV, and as it stands I'm considering rejecting the goods as being of unmerchantable quality.

I would then go on to suggest that the retailer clarify the situation with the manufacturer and include that information in their reply to me. You're basically looking for a "Get out of jail free" card from the retailer and backed up by the manufacturer. Set a reasonable time scale for a solution to the problem - 21 days should be enough - and say that in the mean time should any screen burn occur during the normal operation of the set then I'd consider the retailer liable as this apparently serious issue wasn't pointed out at the time of purchase.

ill agree with all of that - i think he should take it back - nobody wants a TV with a 2 hour watch limit on it

will he take it back now? - doubt it - Samsung know that

Forum Member
    2 years ago mine was brand new, cost me £1050 & I can hnestly say I did not loose a wink of sleep worrying about screen burn ..

You would've done if it had a 2 hour watch limit on it

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ill agree with all of that - i think he should take it back - nobody wants a TV with a 2 hour watch limit on it

will he take it back now? - doubt it - Samsung know that

I can't work out where you are coming from; are you seriously saying that because you have read it then it's bound to happen? do you have any knowledge of LCD TV's if so you would know they do not suffer from "Screenburn" they can however exhibit "Image retention" if something is left on the screen for a long time, however this is not usually permanent. Most manufactures actually add something along the lines of Samsungs disclaimer to either their manuals or their websites, this is taken from Panasonics LCD FAQ;

1. Are LCD TVs susceptible to burn-in?
    LCD technology is not susceptible to burn-in, which is actually uneven aging of a display's phosphor. LCD TVs are liquid crystal-based, not phosphor-based, so there is no surface to burn-in. LCD TVs do exhibit a phenomenon known as "image retention" that occurs when bright objects have been left onscreen for an extended period of time, but this effect is not permanent.

So where's your problem, you are jumping up & down & it's not even your set! all you are doing is making your relative feel he has made a bad purchase & spoiling something which should be a pleasure for him/her :cool: at least they did not buy a Philips tv :D
    Forum Member
    ..are you seriously saying that because you have read it then it's bound to happen? ..

of course not - i've never heard of LCD getting burned

but if Samsung are not prepared to take responsibility for their own TV being on for mere 2 hours - then only and idiot would

Forum Member
    ..So where's your problem, ..

:rolleyes:
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    No manufacture will include screen burn in the guarantee.

As far as I can tell Samsung have just put a ridiculous time frame on something that's not even applicable to this technology. :rolleyes:

Would it scare potential customers off buying this product if it was brought to their attention, probably, especially if they didn't know about LCD technology, but then that's down to Samsung and their OTT disclaimer.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've uploaded some samsung lcd tv permanent damage for the orignal poster to look at,i would call this screen burn.
    http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj86/port_soft/?action=view&current=DSCN1822.jpg
    http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj86/port_soft/?action=view&current=DSCN1823.jpg
    http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj86/port_soft/?action=view&current=DSCN1824.jpg
    The set in the picture is a 26" samsung lcd a few years old now,may'be 4 or 5 years,but the damage happened in less than 60 weeks of being bought brand new at a high street store.

This tv had to be replaced,samsung weren't interested in fixing it or doing anything at all.I realise now i could have hassled them more to do something,but they weren't budging at the time.Samsung warranty was 52 weeks only.

The 20" lines across the screen were permanent,and any image was also retained on the screen,if a picture was left open for 10 minutes,a document for example, you could leave on screen for 10 minutes, and read on the screen every word clearly after closing the document.The damage was clearly visible on both computer screen viewing and television channel viewing.

This wasn't even a one off,after replacing this screen in the photos and fitting a brand new one it happened again,the exact same problem 60 weeks later.So i went through 2 screens in around 2 years.
  • asmasm Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    We use LCD computer monitors where I work. I travelled to the London office a few months ago, down there they use a different brand of monitor (sharp). On the monitor I was using there was clear screen-burn, I could actually see the outline of part of a computer menu for one of the host machines we use regularly. These monitors are several years old, I have seen no sign of screen burn on the monitors at my normal place of work (Sheffield).
    Forum Member
    and what was it you thought that apeased you?

That the set was an LCD not a plasma, and that the warning was likely legal boilerplate, since I'm not aware of how an LCD can suffer screen burn.
    Forum Member
    beintot wrote: »
    The set in the picture is a 26" samsung lcd a few years old now,may'be 4 or 5 years,but the damage happened in less than 60 weeks of being bought brand new at a high street store.

LCDs have improved a lot over the last 5 years. One swallow doesn't make a summer.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    LCDs have improved a lot over the last 5 years. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

there were 2 swallows though,the same thing happened twice.

Lcd tv technology wasn't too bad 5 years ago,further back, towards 7 years, it was bad.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a Samsung 38" LCD TV and it's started bad image persistence - anything that is left static on screen for more than 30 second or so leaves an image behind for a short while. If I pause my DVR for long enough, the image can get left behind for 10-15 minutes!

What is likely to cause this and is there anything I can do to fix it? It's a fairly new TV (2007), so I'd be a bit aggrieved to have to get rid of it.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this which you may find interesting but I accept no responsibility for the article or suggestions given
    http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/image-sticking.html
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Never had that happen under any circumstances.......Mine has built in screen saver, I think most should have. It kicks in after about a couple of minutes of pausing the pvr......Even my 7 year old Samsung LCD doesn't react in that way.....
    I wouldn't think it was a Samsung specific problem if and when it occurs anyway..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    If I pause my DVR for long enough, the image can get left behind for 10-15 minutes!

How about taking care in turning the screen off just befor you hit the pause button on the DVR?;)