Programme intro recaps (precaps?)

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Have you noticed programmes these days having and pre or post title sequence that goes on for quite a while.

e.g.
Hi, I'm so and so. In this series I will explore.....
So welcome to my programme
Run titles

It's not just the intro to the series though, they show the same sequence at the start of each episode.

A couple of examples are Howard Goodall's The Story of Music and The Hairy Bikers.

The bikers have been doing this on their past few series. I think on one of them it was about 4 minutes into the show before it was the actual show and not the intro/titles.

Comments

• pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might have been hallucinating but I swear The Sheriffs Are Coming actually has a "Coming Up " preamble before the official "Coming Up " section.

i.e. A Coming Up OF ...... the Coming Up.

I may be going mad.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This drives me nuts when programmes have these lengthy preambles, repeated at the start of every program in the series - something like "Junior Doctors" for example.

Do they assume that everybody watching will not have watched any of the previous episodes, or are they specifically catering for an audience that doesn't have the attention span to watch more than one episode of any given series, and thus needs to have everything explained to them?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I caught up with Goodall's series and noticed that in the last two the stock title footage had changed.
    In the first 3 or 4 he had the orchestral Lady Gaga piece but in the latest it's something different.
    I wonder if in the first few he just didn't have anything decent to add so used the same intro sequence.
    Forum Member
    Noticed that Paul Hollywood's Bread also does the same recap each episode and it's only a 30min episode.
    Take away 2 or 3 minutes for inbetween programmes and then 3 minutes for the recap and it's down to a 25 min programme.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they have a recap half way through too. The first series of Portillos Great Railway Journeys can only have had about 20 minutes of actual material in the 30 minute running time.
    it makes programmes feel static.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might as well just have someone coming on and saying "I know this programme isn't up to much, but please don't switch to another channel, we're all doing our best with what we've got."

I'd have more respect for that.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Sometimes they have a recap half way through too.
    I assume that's for ad breaks - even programmes made for BBC channels without adverts, will also be sold abroad to channels that might have them.
    Forum Member
    The Roux Scholarship on Watch suffers from this. The same recaps for the intro and going to and from breaks.

The show could be fitted into 30 minites from an hour with tight editing. Or they could have the show at 45 minutes then an extra 15 minutes of a Masterclass.