What 50th anniversary memorabilia have you bought/do you plan on buying?

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
As per the title. :)

Earlier in the year I started off with this neat little stamp book from Royal Mail.

Then just yesterday I ordered this lovely coin from the New Zealand Mint. It was quite expensive at just over £100 but to me it's worth it.

I will be buying other memorabilia over the course of the year but I'm not sure which yet. I would like to buy the BBC prints of each Doctor but I don't think I can afford to buy them all. :(

What have you fellow Who nerds been buying? Do you have your eye on anything particular?

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooohhh I'd love the coin but alas I cannot afford it :( Do you have any idea how long it might be on sale for? If it's still on near Christmas I'll treat myself; if not, oh well.

So far this year I've bought the stamps; both the prestige book and a first day cover for both the classic and modern eras; I posted them to myself because apparently that makes them worth more, not that I'll ever part with them, lol. I've also collected all eleven of the special books, which aren't really special, just old books with new covers, supposedly they chose the best one for each Doctor (not buying this after reading Nine's 'Only Human'). They look great on my bookcase though :D I'd buy lots more but I have a holiday to pay for in August them I'm going to visit my Mum for a fortnight in September so I don't really have the money to buy anything I'd like right now. :(
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Ooohhh I'd love the coin but alas I cannot afford it :( Do you have any idea how long it might be on sale for? If it's still on near Christmas I'll treat myself; if not, oh well.

Well it has a mintage of 10,000 so it'll be on sale until that many coins are sold. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of mugs, stamps and the 8th Doctor framed print.

I don't count things like Light at the End and any DVDs/Blu Rays as I would buy them anyway. I did buy the first DWM special about the Daleks and will probably buy the others too.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping there'll be little free items given away by newspapers celebrating the 50th, I would like a Dr Who Toothbrush:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    The coin is up for sale at a couple of UK sites now.

The Westminster Collection have it for £145 although they let you pay in installments I think, and Minted-UK have it for £98, both plus postage.
    Got mine from the latter. Certificate 6969, my favourite number. Twice.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 50th Anniversary Special DVD, hopefully in a boxset containing the 2013 Christmas special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far I've helped buy the 50th anniversary special and the docudrama.

They weren't cheap, I barely had change from £150, but they did come with a lot of other non-who stuff as a sort of mega bundle deal.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Actually the special would have cost you 5p - 7.5p* and the drama even less. So about 15p all told?

*allowing a budget of £1,000,000 (usual) - £1,500,000 for the anniversary episode vs 1/3 of the population (i.e 20million) license fee payers.

:p
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The coin is up for sale at a couple of UK sites now.

The Westminster Collection have it for £145 although they let you pay in installments I think, and Minted-UK have it for £98, both plus postage.
    Got mine from the latter. Certificate 6969, my favourite number. Twice.

There's a German seller on eBay selling it for around £84 plus postage. Not bad considering.

It's a very beautiful coin. Worth every penny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*allowing a budget of £1,000,000 (usual) - £1,500,000 for the anniversary episode vs 1/3 of the population (i.e 20million) license fee payers.

:p

If there's even a suggestion that the beeb have only spent a normal episode budget on the Anniversary, a legion of fans will lay siege to broadcasting house with pitch forks and many other pointy dangerous things*

*dangerous things may resemble radio controlled Daleks, collectable action figures and awkwardly long scarves
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    1.5 million would be my estimate of an over budget ep if they have splashed out on it (which looks likely) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.5 million would be my estimate of an over budget ep if they have splashed out on it (which looks likely) :)

In this case, I think you're probably way below the actual budget. Moff has now confirmed it'll be considerably over an hour, so we're looking at something that's the length of a short movie, with the additional cost of filming in 3D.

I expect there's lots of shiny and expensive post production work taking place right now, this is one episode the beeb know they'll be able to sell for the next fifty years.

Still, sonic pitchfork* at the ready just in case.

* if anyone knows where I can actually buy a sonic pitchfork, please let me know. I suppose I could use a real pitchfork and glue some blue LEDs onto it.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    In this case, I think you're probably way below the actual budget. Moff has now confirmed it'll be considerably over an hour, so we're looking at something that's the length of a short movie, with the additional cost of filming in 3D.

I expect there's lots of shiny and expensive post production work taking place right now, this is one episode the beeb know they'll be able to sell for the next fifty years.

Still, sonic pitchfork* at the ready just in case.

* if anyone knows where I can actually buy a sonic pitchfork, please let me know. I suppose I could use a real pitchfork and glue some blue LEDs onto it.

"Considerably"? Did he say that? (Moffat-speak for 5 minutes?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had unlimited money I'd probably have a Doctor Who room.....or a Doctor Who house :)

EDIT:

And I'd have a sonic remote control in each room for everything too ( as seen here: http://endsmeet.webstarts.com/hot.html )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I bought myself a gold-plated TARDIS pendant necklace from harlequin goldsmiths. It cost over 100 pounds but luckily I was able to afford it with money I'd gotten for my birthday. I'm thinking of buying something more not just sure yet what. Maybe the stamps... The coin is very tempting but I'm not spending that much money anymore after the necklace.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Considerably"? Did he say that? (Moffat-speak for 5 minutes?)

60 minutes and 59.9 seconds. They don't want to eat into the precious air time of The National Lottery: In it to Win It and that show where washed up has-beens and never weres bumble around a dance floor for two hours.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    60 minutes and 59.9 seconds. They don't want to eat into the precious air time of The National Lottery: In it to Win It and that show where washed up has-beens and never weres bumble around a dance floor for two hours.

Sounds a bit like the Time War! :eek:
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lakeland have got a Doctor Who collection of bakeware so I might buy something from there.
  • TenthPlanetTenthPlanet Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    So far just the Royal Mail stamps presentation pack and first day cover

I haven't seen any anniversaryish stuff yet to tempt me apart from that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to buy a sink plunger earlier this year, does that count?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds a bit like the Time War! :eek:

:D Indeed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing.

Ditto. What anniversary?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so much 50th memorabilia, but I haven't bourght or watched any classic DVD's in a while.

So Im gonna buy....

A replacement for my copy of the tv movie (currently in my local branch of cex.)

Deadly assassin. I regard this as the doctors origin story, time lords and what-not.

Scream of the shalka. Not really in continuity, but the webcast are amoungst my first real memories of the show (shard DVD, please.)

Spearhead from space. (in HD.)

Oh, and the 50th special. (3d blu ray.)
  • YosheeYoshee Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I've bought the Regeneration DVD box set, and I want to get the stamps. :)