Supporting actors

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Watched Flight the other day and it was another top performance by John Goodman.

He tends to get good roles as a support actor but not usually the main, even going back to Roseanne.

He has had leading roles. Monsters Inc. is probably his most famous. Either that or King Ralph :D
or Aracnaphobia.

Anyway, I thought i'd give him a big up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Goodman#Filmography
Some good movies in there, even is some are more cult classics (many Coen bros) rather than mainstream

Want to add to this or name one of your own?

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was good in Argo as well.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Shalhoub
    Philip Baker Hall
    Hector Elizondo
    David Strathairn
    George Kennedy
    Cliff Curtis

....and here's one:Paul Ben Victor-always plays mafiosi/hoods, but gives the sweetest performance in the TV Biopic of the Three Stooges.

Alot of these "support" actors have more game then their typecasting would have you believe.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed watching The Flintstones.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madeline Kahn may possibly be the female counterpart of John Goodman.

What's Up Doc
    Blazing Saddles
    Young Frankenstein
    High Anxiety
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Goodman was in 2012 and 2013's Best Picture with The Artist and Argo respectively. He's also in the new Coen Brothers movie - Inside Llewyn Davis. However I think Hangover 3 might be a dead cert. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    John Goodman was the best thing about Flight, loved him in Barton Fink as well. I would like to add Ernest Borgnine though for The Wild Bunch, The Dirty Dozen, The Poseiden Adventure and a million others.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yaphet Kotto - Alien, Brubaker, Live and Let Die, Midnight Run, The Running Man.

Richard Jenkins - This guy seems to make about ten movies a year and imo he alway delivers.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Richard Jenkins - This guy seems to make about ten movies a year and imo he alway delivers.

A brilliant actor.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Fred Ward
    John C. Reilly
    John Heard
    Dylan Baker
    Bobby Cannavale
    Jack Warden
    William Fichtner
    J.K. Simmons
    Harry Dean Stanton
    Emile Hirsch
    John Carroll Lynch
    Reece Thompson
  • IamBagpussIamBagpuss Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Brad Dourif - too many films to mention but Lord of the Rings and Exorcist 3 are just two of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IamBagpuss wrote: »
    Brad Dourif - too many films to mention but Lord of the Rings and Exorcist 3 are just two of them.

You missed 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' :eek:
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leland Orser.

Been in a lot of big movies and guested in a lot of tv shows, and always seems to me to make an impact in the short time he has on screen.

I vividly remember him as the poor guy in Seven who was forced to kill the prostitute in the brothel...and nothing is shown of the actual murder, but his description of what happened and his sheer terror and disgust at what he was forced to do comes across vividly.

Can't find a decent vid of that scene, but did find this from Saving Private Ryan which I had all but forgotten about, and a good example of how he can steal the one single scene he has in a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xtiuqWFCc
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Bradley
    Best known as Mr Filch from Harry Potter, but I have seen him in tons of roles and often found him remarkable and normally better than the leads. Harry Brown and Another Year are examples.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hirofumi Arai - did a couple of leading roles throughout his career, but best known for giving exceptional performances in his supporting roles.

Edited:
    Louis Koo, best known for being a leading film star and heartthrob, is far better an actor in his supporting roles. Strange but true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernard Hill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Watched Flight the other day and it was another top performance by John Goodman.

He tends to get good roles as a support actor but not usually the main, even going back to Roseanne.

He was in the decent 1989 All Pacino film Sea of Love, but he never really kicked on to leading roles, except for rubbish like The Flintstones Movie and the forgettable Arachnophobia. Though considering his raging alcoholism he hasn't done too badly.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Buscemi doesn't seem to have many main leads in films to his name. But he always stands out.

Danny Trejo has been in loads of films.
    Michael Berryman is a man you would recognise but never remember his name. Been in a few lower budget films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Legendary six-time Best Supporting Actress nominee Thelma Ritter - All About Eve, The Mating Season, With a Song in My Heart and Pickup on South Street, Pillow Talk and Birdman of Alcatraz - she never won an Oscar, but she deserved them. Was also a favourite of Hitchcock the Golden Globes, the Laurel Awards and Broadway. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just watching Starship Troopers and felt that Clancy Brown deserved a mention in this thread.

He's played a big part in some of my favourite movies and always convincing, especially in 'Shawshank'.

I have to admit that although I've always been a fan, I had to look his name up but now I know it, I will try to remember it from now on.

Looking at his IMDB profile, he looks like a hard worker and from his picture he looks like a lovely guy.

It's better to burn out than to fade away
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say that I've ever seen Stanley Tucci in a leading role.

And I've never seen Helena Bonham Carter as top-billed either. Usually either female lead (Sweeney Todd/King's Speech) or '...and Helena Bonham Carter'
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    He was in the decent 1989 All Pacino film Sea of Love, but he never really kicked on to leading roles, except for rubbish like The Flintstones Movie and the forgettable Arachnophobia. Though considering his raging alcoholism he hasn't done too badly.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this. I think it's a much under-rated film and Goodman is indeed very good in it.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a brilliant supporting actor for many years; I particularly liked him in The Talented Mr Ripley. Of course, he has had leading roles in recent years.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    He was good in Argo as well.

And he's great in Inside Llewyn Davis, anyone who's a John Goodman fan should watch that movie when it comes out.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He was the joint lead, but I would say lead, in Big Night about an Italian Restaurant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/reference
    Good cast list, good film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randy Quaid.

The guy should get an Oscar for his contribution to cinema.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And I've never seen Helena Bonham Carter as top-billed either. Usually either female lead (Sweeney Todd/King's Speech) or '...and Helena Bonham Carter'

Stanley tucci was brilliant as the killer in the lovely bones. It's not the lead role but it was an exceptional performance from him