Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote:
    In re-watching the Doc Martin movies, the Associate Producer for both was Sandy Poustie! Another inside joke uncovered!
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Sandy Poustie has been a associate producer of the show (along wiwth a few others) for the entire 38 episodes (2004-2011).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408381/fullcredits#cast

And then we have Johnny Bamford, location manager, who I can only guess inspired Louisa's friend, Holly, to remark to Martin that she knew his fellow consultant, Johnny Bamford, in London.

And Mrs. Braithwaite, on encountering Martin on the street, said her daughter was ill. Was the daughter's name Emily, I think??? (Can't remember which episode to check.)

Very convenient using MC's Martin to begin with. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think an alpha male can have "little boy" insecurities just as much as a beta male. The best books/movies/writers have a somehow flawed hero (or heroine) that only the heroine (or hero) can see through/discover the insecurities of/redeem. That is why they were meant to be.

eg: Darcy/Elizabeth
    and
    DM/LG
    I don't think DJP who wrote that article NewPark posted can see DM's insecurites as anything more than unchristian rudeness so can't see why LG or anyone would find him attractive. MC only sees him (or did after series 4) as horrible. Dominic Minghella based him on parts of himself and I think his writing shows us that there is a lot more to the character than appears on a cursery first glance. I think with all the other writers (and MC and PB) adding their bits we sometimes lose sight of the real DM but he is still there. I don't think this matters but you have to give a little lee way to the writers (also to the fact that it is comedy, it is TV and it is 8 episodes a year every 2 years).

There has to be much more to the character than DJP sees as we are all writing/talking/discussing about it ad infinitum. If it was easy to see or the writers had spelled it out clearly instead of leaving a lot inferred then it wouldn't be so compelling. But Dominic Minghella didn't want his ideas to influence his writing too much he wanted it to be organic like all good writers do.

I think you hit the nail on the head, cc.cookie. The blogger sees an "unchristian" rudeness in DM and stops right there. I think he's done something similar in his limited view of LG. He sees a "pretty little teacher" and doesn't go past that.
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thks for recent YT's Connie. I don't suppose you have the full interview with MC regarding Staggered, that would be interesting to see as he had just met PB during the filming and the fact that he was naked, I can only imagine his comments.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote:
    In re-watching the Doc Martin movies, the Associate Producer for both was Sandy Poustie! Another inside joke uncovered!

And then we have Johnny Bamford, location manager, who I can only guess inspired Louisa's friend, Holly, to remark to Martin that she knew his fellow consultant, Johnny Bamford, in London.

And Mrs. Braithwaite, on encountering Martin on the street, said her daughter was ill. Was the daughter's name Emily, I think??? (Can't remember which episode to check.)

Very convenient using MC's Martin to begin with. :D

Yes, her name was Emily. That was S1E3. And, of course, in the DM movies, the doc's name was Martin Bamford. And Ellingham is an anagram of Minghella. They love to play these little games. Like Martin holding the vegetables and the couple in the window at the dance. We really have to keep our eyes peeled in our rewatch :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Sandy Poustie has been a associate producer of the show (along wiwth a few others) for the entire 38 episodes (2004-2011).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408381/fullcredits#cast

Who is Sandy Poustie? Is it just a made-up name?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://bibchr.blogspot.com/2013/01/doc-martin-and-redemption.html

Oh, WHERE is PoorRichard when we need her?

Rather of a humorless take on Doc Martin.

More thoughts about what DJP commented about Doc Martin:
    He said Doc has a handicap. What handicap? No he doesn't.
    He said Doc doesn't have compassion. Yes, he does. It's just hard to see sometimes.
    He said Doc doesn't see that his parents are out of line. Yes he does. He tells his father he can't stay with him, not to come back to PortWenn, that he will sell his apartment to pay for Aunt Joan's half of the farm.
    And the look on Martin's face when his mother says those horrible things says it all.
    He thinks viewers are baffled as to why Louisa is attracted to DM. Is he a relationship expert? We don't always know "why" we're attracted to someone.
    He said he and his wife only watch DM because of the lovely locations. Yeah, right. And that the cameraman only noticed this in the 3rd season. How rude! Is he a cinematographer?
    Something keeps the show from being fun. Is he serious? This show has some of the funniest moments ever. (I can't help it if he doesn't have a sense of humor.)
    Every character is unhappy and/or broken in some way. If everybody was happy and perfect, it wouldn't be much of a show. There have been plenty of happy moments.
    Some are insane, most are stupid, and self-destructive and mean, none of them seems to care for anyone other than himself. This is just plain mean.
    The fifteen year old girl is eager to lose her virginity. Not true! She wanted birth control pills for the estrogen thinking it would help her breasts to grow.
    What an arse. There, I said it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll up on www.docmartinonline.net - In season 3, episode 5, what was Martin going to say when he came to Louisa's door, but ran away?

Thanks to cc.cookie for the suggestion. :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    More thoughts about what DJP commented about Doc Martin:
    He said Doc has a handicap. What handicap? No he doesn't.
    He said Doc doesn't have compassion. Yes, he does. It's just hard to see sometimes.
    He said Doc doesn't see that his parents are out of line. Yes he does. He tells his father he can't stay with him, not to come back to PortWenn, that he will sell his apartment to pay for Aunt Joan's half of the farm.
    And the look on Martin's face when his mother says those horrible things says it all.
    He thinks viewers are baffled as to why Louisa is attracted to DM. Is he a relationship expert? We don't always know "why" we're attracted to someone.
    He said he and his wife only watch DM because of the lovely locations. Yeah, right. And that the cameraman only noticed this in the 3rd season. How rude! Is he a cinematographer?
    Something keeps the show from being fun. Is he serious? This show has some of the funniest moments ever. (I can't help it if he doesn't have a sense of humor.)
    Every character is unhappy and/or broken in some way. If everybody was happy and perfect, it wouldn't be much of a show. There have been plenty of happy moments.
    Some are insane, most are stupid, and self-destructive and mean, none of them seems to care for anyone other than himself. This is just plain mean.
    The fifteen year old girl is eager to lose her virginity. Not true! She wanted birth control pills for the estrogen thinking it would help her breasts to grow.
    What an arse. There, I said it!

Yeah, I think you're right about that arse business, ReneeBird. Out of curiosity last night I glanced at a few of his other blog entries (none about TV shows) and found that this fellow has some unusual views, to put it mildly, on many subjects, including religion. Not exactly mainstream -- some quite creepy, IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is Sandy Poustie? Is it just a made-up name?

She's a Doc Martin associate producer, and we figure regular character Mrs. Poustie was named for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    It would be fun to see some snipits from this French version also show up on YouTube.

Remember - imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

However, I am confused by the comments - so which one is the original? It seems that the person from FB thinks the English version - OUR DM, is the imitator. But if that were true wouldn't this French version have surfaced before now?

"Our" Doc Martin is the original. In fact, MC and his wife essentially own it. The French version, Spanish version, German version, Greek version, and coming Russian version all are licensed by MC and PB's company, Buffalo Pictures. I think I saw in an interview that they even send advisers to help get things going. And one of them, maybe the German version, even uses the same Colin Towns music.

Okay, here's an interview with some good info. Can't find the one in which MC said they send advisers -- maybe someone else remembers.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-09-11/doc-martins-family-business
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the soloist was singing at the concert? There were two distinct songs, as I remember, ending with Amen as we saw DM and LG walk down the path.

i think someone told us this a long time ago, but I don't know how to search the forum to find it.

I'm remembering that the song Maureen sung in S2 "You don't know me" was significant, so wondering about this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the soloist was singing at the concert? There were two distinct songs, as I remember, ending with Amen as we saw DM and LG walk down the path.

i think someone told us this a long time ago, but I don't know how to search the forum to find it.

I'm remembering that the song Maureen sung in S2 "You don't know me" was significant, so wondering about this one.

I'm not familiar with the first one, but the second one (with the Amen) is Laudate Dominum from Mozart's Vesperae Solennes de Confessore. Laudate Dominum means "Praise the Lord" so I don't think there is any significance there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, there is that segment on YouTube with Martin and Phillipa where they discuss the farm where the interiors are shot - they mention that they use the farm in the series and I thought it looked like Phil Pratts farm. Your locations show Phils farm and Rosscarrock farm quite a distance away noting that the interiors of the surgery are shot there. Have they changed locations?

Hey dmbesotted, I was just looking for something and watched part of Connie's Behind the Scenes videos. Now I see why you were confused about this. They were doing the filming of Phil Pratt's episode while they were doing the behind the scenes video and when they started talking about the interior sets they mistakenly showed Phil's farm footage. The next shot is them opening the doors to the barn at Roscarrock Farm. So you were correct! If you took that video at face value you would expect that Phil's farm is where the sets are.

To the casual viewer it wouldn't be a big deal, but they can't get that stuff past US! :p
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! How cool! How many in your group are going? How long will you be there? Are you all going to stay at the same place?

We're still developing our plans and I hope that others will be able to join us. Many of us want to go but are unable to for various reasons. But I think we'll have 4 or 5 anyway from Washington. We are trying to wrap up our plans, but we all have responsibilities that take up our time, too. We have a member who lives in England who will be joining us as well. I hope others will think about coming down while we are there. You don't have to live in DC to join our meetup group, and the DC meetup group is free to join. You don't have to be with us in person to be a member, you can be with us in spirit.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Washington-Area-Doc-Martin-Fans-Meetup-Group/
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    In the blogger's brain, I guess "Louisa wouldn't even be available" makes sense, but that statement is very telling, isn't it? It sounds to me like more than a religion-influenced prejudice is at work here (because what religion practicing in the West these days insists that women marry or marry by a certain age?), and it raises my female hackles. I probably should restrain myself at this point and not blurt out what I'm thinking.

I think you have something there.

The blogger is also making assumptions about the path to redemption. The Doc has a moral code that is based within his ability to use his medical skills to honor his obligations to the people of Port Wenn. His self image tells him that this is all he has to offer the world, and it is wrapped up in his surgical abililities. His self worth was destroyed when he was a child, and so he can only find worth through his actions. He can't discover self worth simply by "being". He is a man of science and logic, and bases his worth as a human on those abilities. The blood phobia has forced him to realize and recognize that he is an able and capable person even absent his ability to perform surgery. In my opinion, that is his redemption. The blogger makes an assumption that Martin can't be redeemed unless it is through a consiously religious experience. One could attribute the blood phobia as an act of God doing for Martin what he could not do for himself. But the blogger is looking for redemption that mirrors his own understanding of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Our" Doc Martin is the original. In fact, MC and his wife essentially own it. The French version, Spanish version, German version, Greek version, and coming Russian version all are licensed by MC and PB's company, Buffalo Pictures. I think I saw in an interview that they even send advisers to help get things going. And one of them, maybe the German version, even uses the same Colin Towns music.

Okay, here's an interview with some good info. Can't find the one in which MC said they send advisers -- maybe someone else remembers.

s1 ep1 was fillmed in 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    We're still developing our plans and I hope that others will be able to join us. Many of us want to go but are unable to for various reasons. But I think we'll have 4 or 5 anyway from Washington. We are trying to wrap up our plans, but we all have responsibilities that take up our time, too. We have a member who lives in England who will be joining us as well. I hope others will think about coming down while we are there. You don't have to live in DC to join our meetup group, and the DC meetup group is free to join. You don't have to be with us in person to be a member, you can be with us in spirit.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Washington-Area-Doc-Martin-Fans-Meetup-Group/

I'll definitely be there in spirit. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be fun to see some snipits from this French version also show up on YouTube.

Remember - imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

However, I am confused by the comments - so which one is the original? It seems that the person from FB thinks the English version - OUR DM, is the imitator. But if that were true wouldn't this French version have surfaced before now?

I am so sorry I have no idea how to do this. I have ep 2 on Hard drive but can't put it on you tube. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

The last four paragraphs are very telling and pretty much what I had suspected knowing what I do from working in the TV business.

They would send 'advisors' to ensure that the 'knockoff' series follow the format they have established for the show, storylines and characters. Think of it like the "Star Trek Concordance"-those of you who are 'trekkers' know what this is. They don't have to follow exactly but cannot roam too far off the ranch, so to speak. There can be accomodations to make the show work from an individual countries tastes and sensibilities-see the French version for an example of that.

That being said I have to run off for a 'date' with a TV entity called Miranda. She is very demanding and is taking up alot of my time at the moment...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Thanks Biffpup - I had not seen that interview before and although it contains some material from other interviews, the discussion about the merchandising was more expansive than I had seen.

Speaking of merchandising - our local PBS was running Doc Martin during fund-raising and was offering a DM bobble head doll.
    Forum Member

The blogger is also making assumptions about the path to redemption. The Doc has a moral code that is based within his ability to use his medical skills to honor his obligations to the people of Port Wenn. His self image tells him that this is all he has to offer the world, and it is wrapped up in his surgical abililities. His self worth was destroyed when he was a child, and so he can only find worth through his actions. He can't discover self worth simply by "being". He is a man of science and logic, and bases his worth as a human on those abilities. The blood phobia has forced him to realize and recognize that he is an able and capable person even absent his ability to perform surgery. In my opinion, that is his redemption. The blogger makes an assumption that Martin can't be redeemed unless it is through a consiously religious experience. One could attribute the blood phobia as an act of God doing for Martin what he could not do for himself. But the blogger is looking for redemption that mirrors his own understanding of it.

I will say it again, although his whole blog was claptrap to me and hard to follow - it was interesting to note that others besides the devoted fans on this site are also looking beyond the words and stories as filmed.
    Forum Member
    I will say it again, although his whole blog was claptrap to me and hard to follow - it was interesting to note that others besides the devoted fans on this site are also looking beyond the words and stories as filmed.

Redemption - what has Doc done that he needs to ask for redemption - I think that is the wrong frame of reference. Redemption carries with it the stain of sin or some original misdeed. The Doc did not, as the story has told us, have any misdeeds that led to his phobia. If anything he is looking for restoration. I am sure there is some more correct psychological term for this but can't come up with it right now.

And while I am on a roll- the whole Aspergers discussion. In Doc's case It is a question of nature or nurture isn't it? How repressed socially might anyone be with the background as has been described? There is no indication that he had these issues as a child that led to him being unloved and/or abused by his parents - but rather, that he was simply the victim of them and later the boarding school environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good stuff dcdmfan! I like the idea that the blood phobia was an act of God that forced him into being a GP. Even though he doesn't seem to think so, being a GP to this village is a much higher calling for him because of his strong sense of duty to the community.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One tidbit I pulled out of the article is this:

We keep it in check," says Clunes, listing certain key elements that must remain in place. "You've got blood phobia, you've got a surgeon who's denied surgery, who has to conquer this but can only work in medicine in this other way;

Do you think this means that he cannot recover completely from his blood phobia and return full time to surgery? If these key elements must be in place for the licensees, wouldn't they have to keep to it also? This interview took place after S5 had been filmed, so maybe one of their commandments is that Martin will never fully recover from the blood phobia?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed the blood phobia of DM apparently under control in S5. Does that mean only under certain circumstances will it reappear? I hope at some point in S6 he will show signs that this is still a problem. I noticed that when he is operating on Eleanor in S5 he did fine. Could it have been that Morwenna came onto the series after he had it under control and that if Pauline was still his receptionist he would have weaken because she knew how helpless he was to the extent that he sent her for training to become a phlebotomist?
This discussion has been closed.