Classic Enemies You Want to Return?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
I've noticed that in each series since the show came back in 2005, at least one enemy the original series has come back.

Series 1: Autons, Nestene Consciousness, Daleks
Series 2: Cybermen
Series 3: Macra, the Master
Series 4: Sontarans, Davros
Series 5: Silurians
Series 6: Nimon (or at least their distant cousin), Cybermat
Series 7: Great Intelligence, with rumors of Ice Warriors, Zygons, and Yeti in the second half.

What sort of enemies would you like to see in Series 8 and beyond? What kind of stories do you think they would work best in? How do you think they could be improved overall in terms of appearance?

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I ask is that they only bring back classic enemies when they have a good story for them and when it is an appropriate time. TGI is a great example of this whereas the Cybermen tend to slide to the other side; they've been hideously treated since their return and they really need a proper story. Their first nuWho outing wasn't awful, but it was, to me, a very simple and quite obvious story for them. It all seemed very cliche and predictable.

Having not watched an awful lot of classic Who (though I AM collecting it right now) I'm not really sure I'm in the best position to say whom I would like to return, but having read 'The Silent Stars Go By' which is a story centered around the Ice Warriors, I would certainly like to see them crop up sometime in the near future if they fail to appear in 7b.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Ice Warriors were the main ones, but it's heavily rumoured that that's happening.

I'd love a return from the Zygons - one of the few old baddies that probably wouldn't need any sort of costume redesign to look good today. That said, I'd just settle for Terror finally getting a DVD release.

Another adventure with the Wirrn could be good, too - a proper old-school claustrophobic horror story (they were f***ing terrifying on the brightly-lit Nerva beacon [when I was seven, anyway...] - just imagine how effective they'd be in a dark, shadowy locale), but it would be tricky to come up with a plot that wasn't pretty much just "The Ark In Space... In <Insert Location Here>"

Up until a year or so ago, I would have said The Draconians, but to be honest - especially with DoaS showing them to be spacefaring - the Silurians seem to have become incredibly similar to them - in look as well as attitude/role - so I've cooled on the idea: it would feel like a return for the sake of it now, rather than a return because it's justified.

And then there's The Kandyman, but that goes without saying, doesn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want some baddies covered in tin foil.

And some human space adventurers in tin foil space suits.

All for good reason you understand:)

The human companion could ask " why are you all wearing tin foil suits?"
    And captain Space McSpacemuffin could say "It's not tin foil, this is polysinuberric flex. A miraculous combination of materials that is air tight going in, but breathable on the inside. Totally bulletproof, it is harder than diamond if you try and cut it, yet flexible enough to make into clothes." blah blah blah

The Doctor could then say " yes, it does look rather like tin foil doesn't it?, I've never really noticed that before. IT became a fashion with humans from the 23rd century onwards, with them making everything from space suits to fashion accessories out of the stuff."

Add in a similar excuse for why the baddies look like tin foil too and it could be a very funny episode:)
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a full Zygon return Moffat! :mad:
  • RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ice Warriors please?
    The nasty variety not the ones who renounced war. Make them evil and uncompromising and stay true to the design and i will be hiding behind the sofa again as i was during "The Seeds of Death"!
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zygons, ice warriors, Yeti, the mara, ogrons, rani, sil
  • RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 50 and watched "The seeds of Death" again last year. I still felt a bit of fear as they arrived on the moonbase something i haven't felt from Who in a long time. Good stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the Time Meddler? There might be a way they could bring them back. He was just on the radio being played by Graham Garden, with Paul McGann.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    The Candyman... ;)
    Seriously though the Yeti or Zygons.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ice Warriors, as they are the only regularly occurring monster villain not to appear in the New Series yet.

Also agree that The Meddling Monk needs to come back. As a Time Lord it would not be totally unacceptable for him to have Regenerated and be played by someone else. It's a shame he never came back in the Classic Series after the First Doctor's Era as I believe he was a great villain.

Another one I'd like to see return is The Celestial Toymaker. With modern day effects that could be a truly great comeback.

:)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ogrons
    Ice Warriors
    Movellans
    Yeti
    Sutekh
    Axons
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ice Warriors, as they are the only regularly occurring monster villain not to appear in the New Series yet.

Also agree that The Meddling Monk needs to come back. As a Time Lord it would not be totally unacceptable for him to have Regenerated and be played by someone else. It's a shame he never came back in the Classic Series after the First Doctor's Era as I believe he was a great villain.

Another one I'd like to see return is The Celestial Toymaker. With modern day effects that could be a truly great comeback.

I really wouldnt say they were regular. They appeared 4 times and the last on screen appearance was 1974 (39 years ago)
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    If they can get Nabil Shaban again, Sil would be fantastic. A villian based on economics of greed would be great, especially in these days of credit crunch and deficit. And who would deny yet another generation of kids the chance to hear that brilliant evil laugh..?
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zygons, properly infiltrating Earth, replacing loads of people etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a really good season long story with Zygons. With every week the Doctor turning up, helping some people out, only to later find that he's been helping Zygons every week and they are now in a really strong position to take over he Earth ( Manchurian candidate style) and no one on the planet is any the wiser.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    I really wouldnt say they were regular. They appeared 4 times and the last on screen appearance was 1974 (39 years ago)

Perhaps recurring is a better word to use but they did appear 4 times over a 6 year period so I would say they are deserving of a return. Look at The Autons, appeared only twice in as many years and they've been in the New Series and it had been over 30 years since their last appearance when they turned up in Rose. Therefore I don't see a big gap between appearances being a problem.

Even the Macra have turned up in the New Series after just one story and that was a 40 year gap!

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Zygons
    Axons
    Celestial Toymaker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Few ideas myself:

Omega: I would love to see him claw his way back and then the Doctor says, "Sorry, you can't get revenge, the Timelords are all dead".
    Monk: Before the Time War. Doesn't have to be him, just would be interesting to have the Doctor deal with someone from before the Timewar. Warn then, say nothing etc
    Axons
    WOTAN: :D
    Sutekh
    Do Faction Paradox/Remote and The Enemy count? :D
    Fenric?
    Guardians? (Without the Birds of course... :rolleyes:) I would imagine Sutekh and the Guardians were powerful enough to take part in the Time War so I reckon they would have been wiped out. Still, it would be interesting say to have an enemy hunt down the power of the Guardians and they are two White and Black glowing spheres in a ruined temple somewhere. That would be fun. :)

I haven't actually seen a Zygon, Ice Warrior or Great Intelligence story, but I know they're a fan favourite (for some reason :) ), but I don't think I would be incredibly excited if they came back.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two more votes for the Ice Warriors and The Meddling Monk
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I've just been rewatching another landmark Doctor Who story - the 100th televised adventure - and after that I'm going to say I'd like to see the return of the Megara. :D They could finally catch up with the Doctor to resume his execution. Let's face it, they've had floating orb-like things in the new series too.
    Glyn W wrote: »
    If they can get Nabil Shaban again, Sil would be fantastic. A villian based on economics of greed would be great, especially in these days of credit crunch and deficit. And who would deny yet another generation of kids the chance to hear that brilliant evil laugh..?

Sil would be great, especially with a story that has undertones of attacking the banks and their greed. The character worked very well for the politics of the 1980s and would do so again. If it were to happen, they should ask Philip Martin to write the story.

I agree whole heartedly that Sil was the last great villain of the classic Doctor Who era, which I believe was said on the 'Mindwarp' DVD. There were some good villains after him but not to the extent of Sil. The laugh is obviously another good reason to bring him back - the kids would love it.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Meglos?

And another vote for the Megara
    "It is not permitted to touch the Megara!"
    Forum Member
    WOTAN: :D
    Sutekh
    Fenric?
    Guardians? (Without the Birds of course... :rolleyes:).

I haven't actually seen a Zygon, Ice Warrior or Great Intelligence story, but I know they're a fan favourite (for some reason :) ), but I don't think I would be incredibly excited if they came back.

Firstly WOTAN. They can only bring it back if they can get somebody to mimic the 'DOC-TOR WHOOOO ISSSS REE- QUIRED' instruction.

I put Fenric in bold because when the Great Intelligence took over Simeon in 2012's Christmas special ("The Snowmen") it reminded me quite a bit of when Fenric takes over Judson. I think it would be worth revisiting Fenric.

Sutekh might not be a bad idea either. However, as I'm rewatching The Key to Time season at the moment, I must add my support to the idea of bringing back the Guardians. Whilst Valentine Dyall and Cyril Duckham both really made the Black Guardian and White Guardian roles, the concept of the Guardians was/is one of the strongest that came out of the classic series. They should seriously consider doing something with the Guardians.

When they get released on DVD, 'Terror of the Zygons' and 'The Ice Warriors' are definitely worth watching. 'The Seeds of Death' was also a great Ice Warriors story.
    Forum Member

And another vote for the Megara
    "It is not permitted to touch the Megara!"

Fantastic! I love that line above. I'll never forget the lines, "We are justice machines. We are judge, jury and executioner," and the weird noises they made when they were in discussions with each other. They are the highlight of that particular story for me although the druid man de Vries has some moments that made me chuckle when watching it again too: He has an odd delivery when saying the word 'bicycle' and then the scene when he's cowering in fear when the Ogri come to finish him off and he's shouting 'have mercy' to the goddess Cailleach (had to check the spelling for that one!).

"Prepare for dissolution!" "

Meglos was a memorable story - I liked the time loop at the beginning in particular and that image of cactus face Tom Baker is iconic.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a return I would love:

The Yeti
    The Mara
    The Drashigs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want some baddies covered in tin foil.

Would the story be about their never ending galactic war with the baddies covered in bubble wrap?