BBC Africa: Eye to eye with the unknown

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
Forum Member
Africa will take you eye to eye with the unknown in the World’s greatest wilderness. The five diverse regions of this continent seem to stretch beyond the imagination.

BBC Africa will be featuring the following: Kalahari, Savannah, Congo, Cape and Sahara.

Synopsis
The six-part series will use the latest in filming technology to explore previously unseen landscapes – from Angola to Mozambique and Libya to Sudan.

Africa's wilderness is facing massive and irrevocable change and, for many places, the series could be the last chance to experience the planet's greatest animals within their natural habitats.

From the Atlas Mountains in the north, to the Cape of Good Hope in the south, from the roof of Ethiopia in the east, to where the forest meets the sea in the west, the series aims to encompass the wildest places left on Earth.

BBC executive producer Mike Gunton says: "The series combines the epic power of Africa's landscapes with intimate and dramatic moments in the lives of individual creatures that struggle to survive there. Each episode focuses on a different region, unearthing the elements that have given each place its own unique character.

"With this series we have the chance to bring about a step-change in the way we use new photographic technology to enhance the intensity of the audience's experience and offer new perspectives on this amazing continent.

"That means there's everything from previously unseen landscapes filmed from the air; 700 day time-lapses; joining vultures as they soar over equatorial glaciers; following camels to an oasis hidden inside an extinct volcano; or capturing the microscopic detail of the strange behaviour of sand grains."

Kim Shillinglaw, Commissioning Editor for Science and Natural History, who will oversee the series, says: "Africa is going to look different and is going to be special. The BBC's Natural History Unit is thriving by innovating, creating the very best wildlife filming which viewers love and remember for years to come.
Starts: Wednesday 2 January 2013 on 9:00pm BBC One and BBC One HD

Trailer

Clips

Episode One preview - Kalahari
From the soaring Atlas Mountains to the Cape of Good Hope, the brooding jungles of the Congo to the raging Atlantic Ocean, filmed over four years, Africa explores the whole continent, uncovering an astonishing array of previously unknown places, bizarre new creatures and extraordinary behaviours.

Using the latest in filming technology, including remote HD cameras, BBC One takes an animals’ eye view of the action. The journey begins in the Kalahari, Africa’s ancient southwest corner, where two extraordinary deserts sit side by side and even the most familiar of its creatures have developed ingenious survival techniques.

Clever meerkats are outsmarted by a wily bird’s use of mimicry; remote infrared cameras catch the familiarly solitary rhino exhibiting previously unseen sociable behaviour; terrifying giant insects prey on baby birds; while in a previously unexplored cave, the rarest fish in the world is filmed for the first time.

The neighbouring Namib desert receives almost no rain but instead makes do with a vaporous vanishing fog. The harshness of life here means there is acute competition for scant resources, even between the seemingly gentler residents. In an astonishing television first, the Africa team capture a ferocious fight for supremacy between desert giraffes.

Eye to Eye goes behind the scenes at a secret location to witness probably the last great rhino gathering on Earth. Using specially build HD starlight-sensitive cameras, the crew captures never-seen-before rhino behaviour. It also reveals how the remarkable footage of the battling giraffes was achieved.

Comments

• SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    There are fewer things greater in television than a David Attenborough wildlife series. I'll be watching for sure, I'm sure there will be many stunning moments.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    There are fewer things greater in television than a David Attenborough wildlife series. I'll be watching for sure, I'm sure there will be many stunning moments.

Spot on. Many have tried to emulate David Attenborough but no one can match him. Every time a new Attenborough doc comes on I think to myself I have got my license money's worth :D

One of these days I'll invest in a David Attenborough box set but he's done so many I don't know where to start.

I don't usually watch the Natural World series that's occasionally on BBC2 , and which often uses rehashed footage from other big budget natural history shows, but whenever DA does the commentary on them I'll make a special point of watching.
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starts tonight, BBC1 9pm. Anyone else really excited about this? I'm really looking forward to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Yeah, love Attenborough! But unfortunately it's gonna be recorded as I haven't yet caught up with my Christmas TV!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Starts soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea to get Attenborough to speak the lyrics of What a Wonderful World.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a thread from earlier here:http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777751

Perhaps the mods could merge them....
    Forum Member
    Meerkats are too damn cute!
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice in 5.1 - I noticed the bass kick in as soon as it started.

Dumb Meerkats! :D
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the camerawork is incredible
    I feel like i am transported in to another world
    Forum Member
    The soundtrack is beautiful as well. I wonder who composes the music, will have to remember to take a look at the credits at the end.

OK, that wide shot of the animals going to the water just then totally reminded me of Jurassic Park when Sam Neill sees the dinosaurs for the first time. Incredible.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those baby ostriches are gorgeous.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is already mind blowing must make a note to pre order this when it becomes available on dvd
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    The soundtrack is beautiful as well. I wonder who composes the music, will have to remember to take a look at the credits at the end.

OK, that wide shot of the animals going to the water just then totally reminded me of Jurassic Park when Sam Neill sees the dinosaurs for the first time. Incredible.

I'm an avid viewer of wildlife programmes and that's one of the most sensational shots I've ever seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    the camerawork is incredible
    I feel like i am transported in to another world

Only got my 47" last Sunday - Just in time, this is stunning!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    I'm an avid viewer of wildlife programmes and that's one of the most sensational shots I've ever seen.

Yes! Certainly a prize winning shot that was.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male rhino's got the horn but the female's got a 'headache' :D
  • digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The squirrel dropping the acorn and running is TV gold! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW! Who needs 3D when you have aerial shots in HD like that!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meat eating crickets???!!!!

That's a new one to me!

Horrible!

EDIT Make that vile, nasty horrible things! :eek:

And God made those did he? :D
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woahh amazing shots
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredible footage!!!!!
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »

Wasn't it just.

Disney couldn't have framed that shot better. Stunning.

The BBC's Natural History Unit and David Attenborough just keep outdoing themselves time and time again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this not repeated? I should have recorded it for my stunning HD collection.