USB ports on Sky boxes

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone please tell me why Sky boxes have USB sockets on them?

Can you connect them to a PC? If so, what things can you do with them?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone please tell me why Sky boxes have USB sockets on them?

Can you connect them to a PC? If so, what things can you do with them?

I am going my what I remember reading years ago: There is no use for it other than being a USB charger.

I remember people saying Sky had it for possible future use, but I have never heard of that future being here yet, if it ever comes.

If that's the case, it was a bad idea and waste of money.
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    If I remember right they were intended for portable hard drives, but because of rights issues the idea was scrapped.

I just plug my PS3 charger into it.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    zexstream wrote: »
    If I remember right they were intended for portable hard drives, but because of rights issues the idea was scrapped.

No, it was added for use with a 'Sky Player', a portable LCD unit that would allow you to download programmes from the box and watch them elsewhere (kids in the car etc.)

In the event the device was never released, due (as you say) to problems over rights issues.

So I suppose it's not for 'future' use, it's a left over from 'past' use (that never happened) :D

As long as the socket is there, there's always the hope that it could be used in the future though - but as Sky never utilised the SATA port, despite it been their largest complaint, I'm not holding my breath.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They started fitting them to Sky+ boxes to enable use of portable media devices. Pace did produce and demonstrate such a device but it never yet has been put into production because of DRM "rights" issues.

Various connectors have been fitted over the years for "future use" and never used by Sky - including a CI type interface inside early standard boxes (which CIELPlus did produce a USB interface for to connect direct to a PC) and the esata interface on the HD boxes.
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though they have never been used, and no plans to use them it makes sense for Sky still to include them to future proof the boxes for any ideas that may arise in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Intrigued... just tried to use it a USB charger and it doesn't work. Amstrad DRX890.

Tried my Pace HD Multiroom box and that works as a USB charger.
    Forum Member
    Intrigued... just tried to use it a USB charger and it doesn't work. Amstrad DRX890.

Tried my Pace HD Multiroom box and that works as a USB charger.

Some boxes have power enabled on the port, some don't - it's also often changed by software updates - so you can't rely on your Pace always having a powered socket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a lot of other consumer electronics products with unused ports on them (FireWire on the Sony PS2 anyone?), added with grand plans in mind that never saw the light of day.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky could have brought a lot of innovative products to they Sky platform but decided to let it stagnate instead. Sky have mostly relied on their huge advertising budget and the promise of lots of channels to keep the company afloat.

They have done the bare minimum to keep the platform alive. Sky+ introduced 10 years ago. Sky HD introduced 5 years ago. As for the crawl out of Anytime Plus using the Ethernet port which could have been done years ago :sleep: Sky 3D is a waste of space.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Thomson is in an enclosed cupboard, I plug a couple of netbook fans in to keep the space cooler.
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any way to turn the USB voltage on my Samsung HD box on? Would be handy if I could get it to charge my phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuey wrote: »
    Is there any way to turn the USB voltage on my Samsung HD box on? Would be handy if I could get it to charge my phone.

No that is solely down to any firmware Sky download to your box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Same 'it never happened' as the Interactive Card slot then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same 'it never happened' as the Interactive Card slot then?

The interactive slot was used at least twice I believe - once was for a "loyalty card" collecting points for watching a certain channel and IIRC it could also be used in conjunction with Sky's own credit cards.
    Forum Member
    The interactive slot was used at least twice I believe - once was for a "loyalty card" collecting points for watching a certain channel and IIRC it could also be used in conjunction with Sky's own credit cards.

Yes, I heard that as well.

But if we're listing unused 'features' the PCMIA slot at the back was never used at all (at least officially) - the original plan was for a Firewire card to be fitted there, so as to feed a digital VCR (shows how long ago it was :D).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I heard that as well.

But if we're listing unused 'features' the PCMIA slot at the back was never used at all (at least officially) - the original plan was for a Firewire card to be fitted there, so as to feed a digital VCR (shows how long ago it was :D).

Ciel Plus did produce and still market a card that fits that slot and gives a USB port and connection to a PC - unfortunately only works on early Amstrad and Pace 2200 boxes as several data lines were changed on later boxes. See here - http://www.cielplus.com/
    Forum Member
    Ciel Plus did produce and still market a card that fits that slot and gives a USB port and connection to a PC - unfortunately only works on early Amstrad and Pace 2200 boxes as several data lines were changed on later boxes. See here - http://www.cielplus.com/

But that wasn't anything to do with Sky, it was completely unofficial.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my USB port on my sky q box to power an external clock.
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    I use my USB port on my sky q box to power an external clock.

Presumably one attached to your time machine.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    LOL!
    It's very easy to reply to a well over eight year old post without realising it!
    The reply is still perfectly valid though.
    :)
  • Michael_TerryMichael_Terry Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    On a related issue it's so annoying that previously recorded programmes can't be transferred to a new Sky Q box when upgrading. Some old programmes are just not replaceable and will never be in box sets. The rights issue is always quoted for Sky not providing the means to transfer but it's not like programmes moved to a Sky Q box are any different to those same programmes being on a Sky plus HD box in terms of effect on TV companies profit margins.
    Forum Member
    On a related issue it's so annoying that previously recorded programmes can't be transferred to a new Sky Q box when upgrading. Some old programmes are just not replaceable and will never be in box sets. The rights issue is always quoted for Sky not providing the means to transfer but it's not like programmes moved to a Sky Q box are any different to those same programmes being on a Sky plus HD box in terms of effect on TV companies profit margins.

DVR are for short term time shifting, not long term piracy of programmes - hence the obvious design to prevent it, which is also a legal requirement in the UK. Freeview and Freesat boxes, and TV's that record, also have similar protection applied.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought all current rights agreements were record ounce.... which means recordings can not be transferred to a different device from which the original recording was made on!?!
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    LOL!
    It's very easy to reply to a well over eight year old post without realising it!

Blame Google!
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    Dave-H wrote: »
    LOL!

Blame Google!

Or perhaps threads should auto-lock after say 3 or 6 months of no activity!?!