BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB gets UK price cut - £129

Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hellva drop from the original price.....

BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB gets UK price cut
The BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB model has been given a significant price cut in the UK.

Dixons and PC World are now offering the Research in Motion (RIM) tablet at just £129, less than its 32GB counterpart.

RIM launched the 7-inch device in 2010 with a £559 price tag, meaning that British customers stand to make a saving of £430 if they pick up the spacious model from either retailer.

Comments

• websterwebster Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I already have an iPad3. I'm going to get the BB Playbook to try it out.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that's quite a bargain!
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still not worth it! Buy a Nexus 7
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still dont want one :D
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    seems like a good buy at that price
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really, really awful. Honestly. I played with one and it's not worth it.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    It's really, really awful. Honestly. I played with one and it's not worth it.

Can't agree, I own one and I really like it. What specifically do you find wrong with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not intuitive, it's hard to find your way around, the apps are abysmal, it's slow.

Given you can get an excellent Android tablet for the same price, which will continue to be supported and continue to have great apps written for it, it's insane to buy a dead duck.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given you can get an excellent Android tablet for the same price, which will continue to be supported and continue to have great apps written for it, it's insane to buy a dead duck.

This.

Sure, it's very cheap now, but... why spend money on something that's dead/dying?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the 16 gig version number love it so much so that the kids want one I personally recommend it great buy just hope the still got some in 3 weeks time when I get paid
    Forum Member
    It's not intuitive, it's hard to find your way around, the apps are abysmal, it's slow.

Plenty of Android apps are abysmal as well, more doesn't necessarily mean better. You do have to use it for a while to get used to how it works that's true.

You can sideload many Android apps, the ones I need all work, like Dropbox, Kindle, google maps etc.

I actually use it more than I use my iPad, I would agree that if I were buying only one tablet I'd probably go for an iPad or a Samsung device (not sure about the current Nexus, there are reports of poor build quality) although I have a work supplied Galaxy Tab 10" and I don't like really like it.

Some of the better Playbook apps you do have to pay for but for example I've got Osmand for an offline satnav system (and Google navigator side loaded), Nobex radio for live radio streaming, the Playbook uses flash so that means I don't have the issues I get with my iPad. I've got the Android version of Twitter sideloaded and I also use Blaq which is a native Playbook app for Twitter which I really like.

There's no way I'd but the 8 gig Nexus, so the nearest one is the 16 gig which is £200, for a second tablet that's too much and most of the ones around the £100 don't have GPS built in.

Battery life is also superb. I took my Playbook into London yesterday, I switched it on about 6:15am and used it on the train into London (about an hour and a half surfing) I then used it during the day for accessing documents and some lunch time surfing and the back on the train in the late afternoon.

By the time I got home at about 5pm the battery was still over 50% and it had been on since 6:15 with wifi left on all day and the screen timeout set to 5 minutes.

The build quality is also excellent.

I don't find it slow either, a lot depends on what you want to use devices for people become obsessed with CPU speed these days but often what slows a device down is the net speed etc.

I really like it and I think it gets a bit of bad press.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which excellent Android tablet can you get for £129?
  • nedchesternedchester Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Plenty of Android apps are abysmal as well, more doesn't necessarily mean better. You do have to use it for a while to get used to how it works that's true.

You can sideload many Android apps, the ones I need all work, like Dropbox, Kindle, google maps etc.

I actually use it more than I use my iPad, I would agree that if I were buying only one tablet I'd probably go for an iPad or a Samsung device (not sure about the current Nexus, there are reports of poor build quality) although I have a work supplied Galaxy Tab 10" and I don't like really like it.

Some of the better Playbook apps you do have to pay for but for example I've got Osmand for an offline satnav system (and Google navigator side loaded), Nobex radio for live radio streaming, the Playbook uses flash so that means I don't have the issues I get with my iPad. I've got the Android version of Twitter sideloaded and I also use Blaq which is a native Playbook app for Twitter which I really like.

There's no way I'd but the 8 gig Nexus, so the nearest one is the 16 gig which is £200, for a second tablet that's too much and most of the ones around the £100 don't have GPS built in.

Battery life is also superb. I took my Playbook into London yesterday, I switched it on about 6:15am and used it on the train into London (about an hour and a half surfing) I then used it during the day for accessing documents and some lunch time surfing and the back on the train in the late afternoon.

By the time I got home at about 5pm the battery was still over 50% and it had been on since 6:15 with wifi left on all day and the screen timeout set to 5 minutes.

The build quality is also excellent.

I don't find it slow either, a lot depends on what you want to use devices for people become obsessed with CPU speed these days but often what slows a device down is the net speed etc.

I really like it and I think it gets a bit of bad press.

Also had the 16Gb version since Christmas and have to say that it's one of the best things I've bought. Great little tablet. Took it on holiday this summer great for surfing the internet and emails.

Just because Blackberry haven't got many apps doesn't mean it's rubbish especially if you just want to use it for surfing the internet and emails.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Which excellent Android tablet can you get for £129?

This one:

http://www.hardwareheroes.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=65
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rubbish op save your cash!

Why else would blackberry be selling them so cheap.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Why else would blackberry be selling them so cheap.

There is a new one coming so they are clearing old stock!
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got one on order for tomorrow two members of my family got one today. Think its a bargin 64 gb loads of features not too fussed about the lack of apps
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree 3ps good piece of kit for the price three member of my family got one with another one getting one this week and I'm hoping to be able to get two in three weeks for my kids Xmas don't really mind whether it's 16, 32 or 64 gig as long as I can get them my daughter had wanted an ipad 2 till she'd played by with mine which I'm on at the moment I seem to use it constantly and only use the computer for downloading films and transferring them across its so much better than the previous tablet I bought which was an early advent which was so rubbish a never used it, it's still sitting like new but it's so slow and urban constantly tap tap tapping but anyway totally <3 the PlayBook and so does all my family wonder how many lucky kids will be getting one for Xmas like my two
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    There is a new one coming so they are clearing old stock!

lol they have been selling them cheap for a year! wait a few months you'll get one for a tenner at this rate! :D
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought one today.

Rubbish apps in the store, but you get a couple of good racing games free
    Already sideloaded mine with android apps like Flickr, Dropbox, Photoshop express, Kindle etc

Check out Crackberry site for more info

I think its a bargain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    A bought one yesterday, also own an Ipad 1 and must say I really like the Playbook. A 64gb tablet for £129 is fantastic. If I only ever used it for web surfing, photo's and video it would be a bargain but it seems like it's capable of lots more.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picked one up yesterday. They threw in the 3 years cover gratis ...

The browser completely wipes the floor with all of the browsers I've used on my Vega (running HoneyIce), its faster (which is a pleasant surprise), and there's enough in the way of games to keep me and the kids occupied (have Monopoly, Cut the rope, Plants v zombies, Samurai II, BejewelledAsphalt, NFS, Modern Combat, Sarfront, Angry Birds, etc. etc.)

Screen is gorgeous, it handles HD video way better than the Tegra 2 based Vega (ie. plays 720p videos copied straight from the PC without issue).

Overall it feels like a more complete/polished device than any of the Android tablets that I've owned or used - if RIM had got their act together it would have been a way better alternative to the iPad than anything from google.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3PS wrote: »
    Got one on order for tomorrow two members of my family got one today. Think its a bargin 64 gb loads of features not too fussed about the lack of apps

There isn't any lack of apps, plenty of native ones, and you can sideload Android apks.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Picked one up yesterday. They threw in the 3 years cover gratis ...

The browser completely wipes the floor with all of the browsers I've used on my Vega (running HoneyIce), its faster (which is a pleasant surprise), and there's enough in the way of games to keep me and the kids occupied (have Monopoly, Cut the rope, Plants v zombies, Samurai II, BejewelledAsphalt, NFS, Modern Combat, Sarfront, Angry Birds, etc. etc.)

Screen is gorgeous, it handles HD video way better than the Tegra 2 based Vega (ie. plays 720p videos copied straight from the PC without issue).

Overall it feels like a more complete/polished device than any of the Android tablets that I've owned or used - if RIM had got their act together it would have been a way better alternative to the iPad than anything from google.

I love using my PlayBook, I use it more than my iPad and it is ideal as an ebook reader as well as a tablet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love using my PlayBook, I use it more than my iPad and it is ideal as an ebook reader as well as a tablet

Definitely won't use it as an eBook reader - the screen isn't as good for that role as my Sony Reader. But it is fantastic for comics, have a bunch of them on there.

I really do feel that the 7" form factor makes for a totally different experience than the 10" on the Vega - feels more natural in the hand.