Doctor Who - Season 8

MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
Forum Member
So, we've got the rest of 2012's 'season 7' still to watch. But 2013 should be the year of season 8.

I know we have an anniversary special to come this year - but if anyone has any rumours, thoughts or firm news about season 8, please post them here.

How do you feel about the current plans for Who's 50th? 105 votes

Wonderful. There's plenty of Who. A great 50th anniversary celebration.
11% 12 votes
Happy. But a few more episodes in 2013 would have been good
43% 46 votes
Unhappy. There're aren't enough new episodes in 2013.
21% 23 votes
Furious. Call this a celebration? We've lost an entire season by the back door!!
22% 24 votes

Comments

• nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I don't think any forum members have any definite information about when or whether series 8 has been commissioned, will go into production or is likely to be broadcast. Moffat has, I believe outlined ideas for the series to Matt Smith.

If any work beyond Moffat sketching things out has been slated, they are keeping it secret for now.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Season 8? I got spoilers, plenty of 'em
    This new chap turns up, called Colonel Masters or something, in an episode featuring the Autons. There's a new assistant, played by Katy Manning. Masters will apparently be a regular villain for the whole series!
  • BeerCupsBeerCups Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    This new chap turns up, called Colonel Masters or something, in an episode featuring the Autons. There's a new assistant, played by Katy Manning. Masters will apparently be a regular villain for the whole series!

i see what you did there.
    very clever :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member

:O Does that mean that
    Liz Shaw
    won't be in it any more?! They're my favourite :'(
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    We know next to nothing about the fiftieth anniversary plans from the beeb, even though so many other companies and organisations are quite happy to reveal their plans so there's little chance of knowing anything beyond that.

We just have to wait and hope that the news is good when it arrives...
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is series 8 actually meant to start? I assumed it was 2014.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    wowboy wrote: »

Technically, it should start in autumn 2013. But I assume the BBC is blurring the scheduling - yet again - with the second half of season 7 and the 50th anniversary special in November and we'll end up waiting until autumn 2014.
    Forum Member
    wowboy wrote: »

These things aren't fixed in stone, so there isn't any date by which anything is "meant" to start - each series depends on circumstances. But 2014 appears to be most likely.

If we go by the episodes that have actually been announced for 2013, then series 8 can only be 2014. If the BBC have been keeping secrets up their sleeves then some of it could conceivably be broadcast in 2013. But it does not seem likely.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the 70s where it would run Autumn to New Year/Spring!

I can still hear the BBC announcer...

'followed by the start of a new season of Doctor Who with some familiar old enemies!' etc etc

There's a great you tube clip of this somewhere but I can't find it!

Ah, memories!:(
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I miss the 70s where it would run Autumn to New Year/Spring!

I can still hear the BBC announcer...

'followed by the start of a new season of Doctor Who with some familiar old enemies!' etc etc

There's a great you tube clip of this somewhere but I can't find it!

Ah, memories!:(

My early memory was of it being a winter show, too. My parents left me home alone once because we all (parents and sisters and me) were due at my dads works Christmas party. But Brain of Morbius was due on! They could not handle my sheer inability to comprehend the concept of missing Doctor Who. So they all went and left me at home. It

Later I found that my parents dropped off my sisters, returned home asap and missed the party themselves because that was easier than dealing with me missing an episode. Sorry mum.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    My only major problem with Doctor Who of late is pacing - both in terms of the plots and in terms of broadcasts...

The idea any story can be told in 45 minutes is a bit of a stretch... the episodes of Series 7 so far could each use an extra 15 minutes to breathe, and the series as a whole feels aloof for not having any two parters to slow things down a bit (although at least now if we don't like an episode we only have to deal with it for a single week :p )

I don't think Series 8 is going to air in 2013... at a time they're trying to spread out costs and make the show as memorable as possible, it wouldn't really make much sense. If the anniversary episode is to air in late November, and a Christmas Special for 2013 has also been pitched, it'd be a long shot to expect a weekly episode in between all of that. They'll want the 50th anniversary to circulate globally before people are moving on with new episodes which they'd also want to promote, and it'd be a tremendous strain to get all the episodes done on time.

I think Series 8 may maintain the series split that we've become accustomed to, perhaps with 8A airing in the Spring of 2014, and 8B airing in Autumn of 2014 (similar to how Series 6 was aired - while Series 7 is having to work around the anniversary story so can be excused from that structure). It'd mean we don't need a Christmas special wedged in the middle of the series, and we can have them in between series again. It'd give the broadcast more coherency and structure too, which I think the show will need very soon, as it's starting to get a little messy.

So put simply...

- They are going to want to promote Series 8 as its own product, and draw attention to it. This isn't really possible if it has to start immediately after the anniversary episode. It'd likely be outshadowed.

- They are going to want the anniversary episode to circulate globally and be talked about, rather than have people talking about the upcoming new series straight away. Again, not really possible if Series 8 is breathing down the anniversary's neck.

- There's only enough Saturday's between the anniversary and Christmas to fit in 4 episodes. A Christmas special would then have to air, as I believe one has already been mentioned in passing (by Smith, I believe) and it would leave another very fractured series... four episodes can hardly constitute Series 8A when Series 8B would then be about nine episodes long.

- Filming. The anniversary episode is scheduled to film in April, and judging by Smith being aware of the concept for Series 8's opening story at some point in 2012, I'd say they were eyeing the concept of filming at least some of Series 8 after April... this would lend itself nicely to an Early 2014 debut, with less need to film separately (therefore at a greater cost) in 2014.

- Budget. At the end of the day, the Beeb will want to be raking in as much money as they can, and it bodes well to spread out episodes over a wider period of time than an immensely short one. They'll likely want Series 8 to be the "2014 thing", so they don't have to consider a Series 9 any sooner than 2015.

:)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind what time of year it is on. Just as long as a full series is shown.
    2014 might be the year we see the 11th regenerate into the 12th and final doctor.
    Lots of things are possible. DW still has lots of adventures in it.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and judging by Smith being aware of the concept for Series 8's opening story at some point in 2012,

I seem to recall people speculating that Smith was talking about the first episode of 7b rather than the first episode of Series 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind what time of year it is on. Just as long as a full series is shown.
    2014 might be the year we see the 11th regenerate into the 12th and final doctor.
    Lots of things are possible. DW still has lots of adventures in it.

The final Doctors would be the 13th, after 12 regenerations. This common mistake usually causes a small stampede of replies!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the continuing success of the franchise, I doubt that the BBC would like to see the writers would kill the series based on the 12 regenerations rule.

And I doubt whether most of the viewers would either.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think Series 8 will start filming towards the end of 2013 but definitely will air (and hopefully all 14 episodes of it) in 2014.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Considering the continuing success of the franchise, I doubt that the BBC would like to see the writers would kill the series based on the 12 regenerations rule.

And I doubt whether most of the viewers would either.

The 12 regenerations limit was ditched ages ago anyway...
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I think Series 8 will start filming towards the end of 2013 but definitely will air (and hopefully all 14 episodes of it) in 2014.

I'd love it if Series 8 starts filming this year but it hasn't been commissioned yet has it (unless they're keeping it secret).

I expect they won't start filming it until 2014 so we'll get the first half in the autumn and the second half in spring 2015!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    I seem to recall people speculating that Smith was talking about the first episode of 7b rather than the first episode of Series 8.

Well I just looked it up, and the headline about it was in August 2012... he commented that it "hadn't been written yet" but the pitched idea was full of emotion. Series 7B would have been written by then wouldn't it? It had even started filming I think, though I could be mistaken :)
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I'd love it if Series 8 starts filming this year but it hasn't been commissioned yet has it (unless they're keeping it secret).

I expect they won't start filming it until 2014 so we'll get the first half in the autumn and the second half in spring 2015!

Alas, I have a horrible feeling you're right about this. It would be a damned shame. Having said that, as a child of the 70s I love the whole autumn evening = Dr. Who. My niece will be just about the right age to start watching!
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been considering this...

What if Series 8 kicked off WITH or AFTER the anniversary...

8 eps of Series 7b in Spring 2013
    Anniversary Special (8.1) on Nov 23rd
    Series 8 eps 2-5 from Nov 30th - Dec 21st
    Xmas special on Dec 25th
    ...rest of S8 (another 8 eps) in early 2014

That would give us 14 episodes in the anniversary year, but with the special being longer would make Moffats comment about getting more Doctor Who than ever accurate.

It would only require 3 more episodes than we already know about to be shown before xmas and having the anniversary kick off a series shown at the same time of year as was originally done in 1963 would be a nice touch.

?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    I've been considering this...

What if Series 8 kicked off WITH or AFTER the anniversary...

8 eps of Series 7b in Spring 2013
    Anniversary Special (8.1) on Nov 23rd
    Series 8 eps 2-5 from Nov 30th - Dec 21st
    Xmas special on Dec 25th
    ...rest of S8 (another 8 eps) in early 2014

That would give us 14 episodes in the anniversary year, but with the special being longer would make Moffats comment about getting more Doctor Who than ever accurate.

It would only require 3 more episodes than we already know about to be shown before xmas and having the anniversary kick off a series shown at the same time of year as was originally done in 1963 would be a nice touch.

?

I think this is possible, and it looks like Smith hasn't been doing any other TV work in between.

If Moffat's comment about taking over TV this year are true then that would coincide with your schedule.

Do they have enough time to film it all? Well it's only January, so maybe.

Either way I'm looking forward to Easter!
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I just miss the 'old' days when the new season started in the spring and ran straight for 13 episodes, with a Christmas special to look forward at the end of the year and The Sarah Jane Adventures in between.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I've been thinking about the comments regarding series 8 and how they can't do a series 8a in 2013 because they have an anniversary special AND a Christmas special to do!

BUT, particularly recently, Christmas specials have just been slightly longer 'episodes' with Christmas thrown in to the narrative haven't they? I can't see the anniversary special being any longer than an hour so in addition to doing a full series over 2013/4 they only appear to really have an extra 30 mins to make. Is it really too big a challenge for them to provide a full series 8 this year and next?

Ok, this is a simplistic view but I like simple! :D I am also mindful that, in reality, we have no idea whats planned for this year as of yet!!

Am I wide of the mark?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I just miss the 'old' days when the new season started in the spring and ran straight for 13 episodes, with a Christmas special to look forward at the end of the year and The Sarah Jane Adventures in between.

Well, the 'new' old days! ;):D