B&Q Satellite Kit

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi!
Just spotted an ad for B&Q selling a satellite kit for £39.98. I can't see it on their site. Anyone know what the box is and can the dish take a quad LNB? It seems to include dish and box.
Bryan

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi!
    Just spotted an ad for B&Q selling a satellite kit for £39.98. I can't see it on their site. Anyone know what the box is and can the dish take a quad LNB? It seems to include dish and box.
    Bryan

It's a single tuner fta receiver so one only cable from a quad lnb is required. See this thread

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=514896&highlight=BQ+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about my sister for this. She's thinking about getting Freesat HD for her main TV and SD boxes for her others. She hasn't got a dish set up at the moment and wondered whether this would take a Quad LNB to enable her to use this in a second room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about my sister for this. She's thinking about getting Freesat HD for her main TV and SD boxes for her others. She hasn't got a dish set up at the moment and wondered whether this would take a Quad LNB to enable her to use this in a second room.

A quad lnb is just 4 lnbs in one and can fitted to any dish. So any satellite reciever can use them. A single tuner receiver will use one lnb and cable and a twin tuner uses two . So a dish with a quad lnb will feed a Foxsat-HDR (twin tuner) plus two other fta boxes. If the main box is a standard Foxsat then it only needs one cable so you can add up to 3 others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The box in the pic in the ad is similar to this one

Topfield TF6000F
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bear in mind this does not use the Freesat EPG. On the one hand you are not limited to Freesat channels, on the other hand you have to tune and maintain the channels yourself.
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    According to the thread,last month,the current B & Q satellite kit is the Philex kit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    According to the thread,last month,the current B & Q satellite kit is the Philex kit

But the front panel in the ad (Daily Express p32) definately looks the same as the Topfield posted above and not like the Philex. The dish/LNB are different too. I realise about the tuning, lack of epg and interactive etc ( I have an MVision box in a second room)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the ad

B&Q
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I installed one for my brother-in-law a few weeks back.
    Cheap n cheerful, easy to set up but the channel management is a bit awkward to use but then for £40 you get what you pay for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the ad

B&Q

That looks like the Philex to me. They have on on display in our B&Q warehouse (Redditch).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simonch6 wrote: »
    I installed one for my brother-in-law a few weeks back.
    Cheap n cheerful, easy to set up but the channel management is a bit awkward to use but then for £40 you get what you pay for.

If the OP buys this and a quad lnb and uses the el cheapo as a bedroom reciever and a Foxsat-HD for the lounge sounds like a good bargain to me as there may even be enough sat coax included for both recievers.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The box in the pic in the ad is similar to this one

Topfield TF6000F

Actually if you look at the Topfield Korean website there are about four recievers which look very similar.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »

If you look at the post 37 in that thread, yes it is Philex branded but it is not the one shown on their website
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the OP buys this and a quad lnb and uses the el cheapo as a bedroom reciever and a Foxsat-HD for the lounge sounds like a good bargain to me as there may even be enough sat coax included for both recievers.

That's the idea. I've shown it to my Brother-in-Law and he says he'll prob get one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished installing the box at my Brother-In-Laws. Not bad for the price!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister has just bought a Sony HDD/DVD recorder with guide plus and they've got one of the cheap FTA satellie boxes that were on offer at B&Q. I've just being trying to set up the Guide+ to link to the sat box for them and don't know which (if any) make of box to set Guide+ to in order to automatically change channels. Can anyone help?

Bryan

PS they're planning to get a Humax HD box soon so the problem will be resolved then.