Teen Beach Movie

Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
Forum Member
We've had High School Musical & Camp Rock (launched the careers of Zac Efron, Demi Lovato and the like) - Teen Beach Movie is the fourth in that teen musical genre (there is Lemonade Mouth which I haven't watched).

How this is actually going to turn out, I don't know. They are promoting the hell out of it though, there's an advert on Disney Channel every other ad break.

Anyone going to give it a go when it premieres on TV this Friday? (in the UK) I personally would, it's been a while since I've seen a film like this but I just hope there aren't any cringe worthy moments.

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is anything like HSM / Glee etc etc, that I would much rather rub a blunt razor blade across my nutsack than watch anything like that, but hey whatever floats your boat eh. :p
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is anything like HSM / Glee etc etc, that I would much rather rub a blunt razor blade across my nutsack than watch anything like that, but hey whatever floats your boat eh. :p

And i'd use that razor after you rather than watch it .:eek:
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably give it a watch but it does look pretty terrible. :o
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I best record this for my daughter
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to give it a go. It better have at least one reference to Annette in it, after all she was the Queen of the original films its based on.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    Disney Channel must be hoping for a million+ viewers given the amount of advertising. It's on in an hour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were Disney thinking when they made this? :o
    Forum Member
    There were one or two good numbers but it was by far the craziest film I've seen in a long time. It didn't make much sense to me.

Disney were probably hoping for it to act as a follow-up to High School Musical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    There were one or two good numbers but it was by far the craziest film I've seen in a long time. It didn't make much sense to me.

Disney were probably hoping for it to act as a follow-up to High School Musical.

Yeah, it didn't make much sense and I think the casting was terrible. It feel very plastic doll like if you get what I mean.

It was very wooden, and in my opinion quite horrific. :o

Defiantly one of their worst movies.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it didn't make much sense and I think the casting was terrible. It feel very plastic doll like if you get what I mean.

It was very wooden, and in my opinion quite horrific. :o

Defiantly one of their worst movies.

If I could find a positive, it would be that the last number was, well, catchy. :o

But we didn't even get to know the characters. Were Brady & McKenzie boyfriend/girlfriend or what?

'Wet Side Story' - I would doubt it included many original elements.

Looking on Twitter, I can't seem to find any responses from anyone who isn't a pre-pubescent teenage girl.

It's not the worst movie I have seen, but it could have been so much better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    If I could find a positive, it would be that the last number was, well, catchy. :o

But we didn't even get to know the characters. Were Brady & McKenzie boyfriend/girlfriend or what?

'Wet Side Story' - I would doubt it included many original elements.

Looking on Twitter, I can't seem to find any responses from anyone who isn't a pre-pubescent teenage girl.

It's not the worst movie I have seen, but it could have been so much better.

Yeah, the last number was catchy and the 'Falling For Ya; made me nod my head, :o

I honestly don't know. I think they were, but it wasn't too clear and the ending didn't really give you much. I didn't get the plot either but I just went along with it.

It was more of just a take the mick kind of version of West Side Story within another film. I just found it too over cheesy and didn't feel it worked so much as a musical compared to their previous films like the High School Musical series.

I'm sure the teenage girls will love it though. :p
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually enjoyed most of it. I didn't see much of the promotion for it, so I guess I didn't have much of an opinion of it before watching it. Probably my biggest issue was the weather machine thing which was goofy and thus required fast forwarding. However to some extent it was justified as it was part of a '60's musical film.

The songs were pretty decent, a lot of influence from Beach Boys et al, which is not surprising I guess. And at least they were close to period specific, I was worried they'd all have stupid 'thump-thump' background beats to placate the musical taste of the younger viewer.

Some of the acting was a bit weak, but I think some of it may have been intentional as they tried to emulate the style of the genre of 'beach movies' - some of the characters were pretty one dimensional back then.

Re: if Brady and Mackenzie were together, well I think it was pretty obvious. Most 'best friends' don't walk on the beach holding hands and sit in a lifeguard tower and watch the sunset. And that was just in the prologue.
    Although a more cynical movie may have made more of an issue of Mackenzie not being concerned that her boyfriend loves a musical movie and has 'always wanted to perform' in one of its numbers. :p

They may have been trying to recapture the success of HSM, but that was a bit of an anomaly - it was just another DCOM until the hype got a hold of it. I wouldn't call it a bad film, it was what it was intended, a TV movie.

And I like how they left the door open for Teen Beach Movie II at the end... you can bet if this gets the viewing figs then someone in Burbank will quickly green light it.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it a lot. Not as good as HSM but way better than HSM2 and 3 and other recent Disney TV stuff.
    Liked the "Marina" and "Amy" rockers.
    Forum Member
    And I like how they left the door open for Teen Beach Movie II at the end... you can bet if this gets the viewing figs then someone in Burbank will quickly green light it.

I think it's on it's way there - 8.4 million viewers in the US which puts it in fifth place for the highest rated Disney Channel Original Movies. Higher than High School Musical, not quite as high as Camp Rock or High School Musical 2. Here, it must have gotten around 500,000 viewers but I guess we'll find out soon.

If it does become a cultural phenomenon (which I doubt, considering the reception has been a bit mixed), then I wouldn't be surprised to see it on BBC1 around Xmas.