MacBook turning off

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My macbook got a wee bit damp, and initially some of the keys were not working etc.

That was about a month ago, since then all those problems have resolved themselves, apart from the fact that it now keeps turning off unless I am constantly using it or keep my fingers on the pad. It asks whether I want to shut down and if I dont press cancel it just goes off.

Help Please if Possible.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tried an external keyboard/mouse? even though you think the keyboard/mouse pad are fine they may be faulty and sending certain keycodes to the system
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will try and let you know thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no doesn't work still switching off :(
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jemimabond wrote: »
    no doesn't work still switching off :(
    It's broke.

How was it water damaged? Have you dried it out properly? It's a shame you can't remove the battery on some Apple products!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Yes that doesn't sound good, I knocked an entire drink (ribena not beer) over a Macbook about three years ago. Apple don't cover water damage in their Applecare and so it would be expensive you want it fixed.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    You could take it to an Apple repair center but don't mention anything about spilling anything on it on it play dumb. just tell them it keeps switching off and show them it doing it and let them decide what to do, they may repair it may not.
    As its broken anyway you got nothing to lose.

You could check to see if the power button is stuck down.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, CuriousClive's advice won't help you. As someone who has replaced keyboards on a number of MacBooks and MacBook Pros following liquid spills, I can assure you that there will be residue and/or staining on the inside of the laptop. There may also be a lingering smell of the ribena still present.

You are actually quite lucky that it still switches on, many don't. At best you might get away with a new keyboard, at worst the keyboard and the DC input. Prices for replacement parts vary depending on the exact model of the MacBook.

On the older 13" white/black Macbooks mid 2007-2009 Penhryn and Santa Rosa models replacing a keyboard is an fairly easy job to do as they are integrated into the top casing. Ebay or The Bookyard would be good places to look.

On the Unibody models 2008-2010 Aluminium ones, a lot more disassembly and reassembly is required so a good set of precision screw drivers including a Tri-wing will be needed along with a fairly delicate touch as many of the connections to the mother board are quite flimsy and easily damaged and/or broken.

On the plastic Unibody models A1342 replacing the keyboard is a nightmare and not a job anyone with no or limited experience should try. Again sourcing a whole new top case would be the better solution.

Hope this helps.