One Direction Bigger than the Spice Girls?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Who do you think is bigger – One Direction or the Spice Girls?

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to sleep....
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no.... even if they emulate the spice girls sales/chart stats, the spice girls impact on youth culture was huge (amongst a certain demograph), 1D are just another manufactured act following in the steps of so many that went before them, and unlike the spice girls they have no personality (not that the spicies had much!)
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no.... even if they emulate the spice girls sales/chart stats, the spice girls impact on youth culture was huge (amongst a certain demograph), 1D are just another manufactured act following in the steps of so many that went before them, and unlike the spice girls they have no personality (not that the spicies had much!)

I wouldn't be so sure about that... I was in my teen years when the Spice Girls were huge and they didn't have any impact on me or anyone around me.
    Whereas today's teenage girls seem to be massively impacted by One Direction (and J. Bieber to a certain extent). Not just music-wise, but by the way they spend their time, making videos, posting pictures, interacting in twitter, facebook, tumblr etc.
    Not that I necessarily think it's a great development, but I'm sure in a few years we will look back at the time from 2010 onwards as the time twitter, instagram, tumblr etc. took off and always associate it with pop acts of the last few years (including One Direction).
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they will be

the worrying thing is 1D have got huge on the back of probably the worst music i think iv'e ever heard. If they start releasing even half decent stuff i think we should all be worried
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Never!
    For a start there is no way they will ever emulate the sales that the Spice Girls achieved!! I think people forget how much of an impact they had, essentially with only two albums (not counting their final!)
    The cultural impact that they had was immense, the fact that the picture of Geri in the Union Jack dress has become the symbol of Britpop domination of the 90's is a prime example of how deep their impact goes! The very fact that the Union Jack is still commonly incorporated into fashion today reflects this.

There are countless more ways they have influenced pop culture but I don't wanna go on too long!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sales wise no.

Spice Girls were selling 10's of millions of albums.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    sez_khan wrote: »
    Who do you think is bigger – One Direction or the Spice Girls?

Spice Girls for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I saw the thread title... I thought to myself,

"Kenny is going to go ape".
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about the same in terms of hype. But the Spice Girls had insane sales and had more of a cultural impact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction seem to have hype and interest but musically it's all a bit forgettable. the Spice Girls had the former but their songs also did the talking
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spice Girls are bigger, they're iconic to the UK where as 1D are the new Take That who had a massive impact in the UK music scene, they're not iconic to Britain like Spice Girls are
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance..spice girls where huuuuge. They each had their own persona and everyone knew their name. They dominated my childhood! They where insanely successful, and all that was without facebook, , twitter, , youtube, downloads..etc
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spice Girls sold close to 100 million in the space of about 4 years. Will 1D do the same?
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO JUST NO!!!!!!

One Direction will be forgotten within 5 years whereas everyone still remembers The Spice Girls after 12 years.

I doubt even the the members of 1D will still have successful careers like 4 out of 5 of the Spice Girls did after they split up as the braindead fans will move on to someone new.
  • _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Spice Girls sold close to 100 million in the space of about 4 years. Will 1D do the same?

Youl could argue that it was in less than 3 years as their big selling era was from Wannabe to Goodbye which was July 1996 - December 1998.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People buy so fewer records nowadays it's not comparying like with like.

I remember the Spice Girls era very well and wouldn't say they were THAT much more prolific than 1D currently are, once you get over the rose-tinted view of your youth.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They're not even in the same league:

a) the Spice Girls are icons of popular culture, One Direction are just a successful boyband.

b) the Spice Girls are the most successful girlgroup ever, One Direction aren't even in the Top 10 boyband wise.

c) One Direction have sold 3.2m UK singles, the Spice Girls 8m.

d) One Direction have sold 1.7m UK albums, the Spice Girls 50.

e) the Spice Girls have sold 50m+ albums WW, One Direction c.10m.

Now obviously album sales were much, much higher during the time of the Spice Girls, but even single wise One Direction pale in comparison. In two years the girls managed eight #1 Platinum singles, the boys have only had one song pass the 600,000 mark during the same time frame.

Spicemania is the single biggest and most intense cultural phenomenon there has been in my life time and nothing else has comes close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    No. They're not even in the same league:

a) the Spice Girls are icons of popular culture, One Direction are just a successful boyband.

b) the Spice Girls are the most successful girlgroup ever, One Direction aren't even in the Top 10 boyband wise.

c) One Direction have sold 3.2m UK singles, the Spice Girls 8m.

e) the Spice Girls have sold 50m+ albums WW, One Direction c.10m.

Now obviously album sales were much, much higher during the time of the Spice Girls, but even single wise One Direction pale in comparison. In two years the girls managed eight #1 Platinum singles, the boys have only had one song pass the 600,000 mark during the same time frame.

Spicemania is the single biggest and most intense cultural phenomenon there has been in my life time and nothing else has comes close.

Your stats speak for themselves.

Had no idea the Spice Girls sold so much with only 3 albums.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Spice Girls are bigger, they're iconic to the UK where as 1D are the new Take That who had a massive impact in the UK music scene, they're not iconic to Britain like Spice Girls are

But Take that didn't break the States whereas 1D have I don't think people n this country realise how huge they are over there. They have just played (for the third time) on the today show and once again broke the attendance record. Funnily enough Mel B was presenting on the same show and talked about her time in the spice girls in USA and she herself compared 1D to the Spice girls.

In fact I would say they are more famous over there than ere and everyone knows they are a British/Irish export.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    They can dream, people forget the SG appealed to boys and girls and even now when they're mentioned most people automatically associate them with the 90s. Until 1D have met Nelson Mandela, sang with Pavarotti, performed in Istanbul, been loved by the likes of Elton John and Tom Jones...then they've got big shoes to fill.

Plus since that rule on the Hot 100 in the USA, compared it to the days of SG 1D have it very easy to get to number 1 with just one word to the fans to ask to buy their latest single. SG came out in a time when you literally had to be on nearly every TV show and music event to keep up momentum, instead of using 1 platform like Youtube and expect results.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »

Oops I obviously meant 5m UK album sales, not 50!
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    But Take that didn't break the States whereas 1D have I don't think people n this country realise how huge they are over there. They have just played (for the third time) on the today show and once again broke the attendance record. Funnily enough Mel B was presenting on the same show and talked about her time in the spice girls in USA and she herself compared 1D to the Spice girls.

In fact I would say they are more famous over there than ere and everyone knows they are a British/Irish export.

I'm talking about British success though
    Spice Girls are iconic to Britian while 1D are just a boyband like Take That, yeah they only had one hit in the States but that didnt matter cause of there success here, Take That are the most successful boyband in the UK history (apart from Beatles if you count them) even in 2012 they sell out stadiums here which is brilliant for a group on there 30/40s,

1D have only had 3 singles make the top 10 in America, they're not as huge there as they are here just to clarify
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon there will be another bank holiday the day 1D split up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe One Direction. Don't get me started!
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction album 1 sales WW - 4.5 million
    Spice Girls album sales WW - 28 million

One Direction album 2 sales WW - 4.4 million
    Spice Girls album sales WW - 17 million

It's not even a comparison.
    I expect 1D to go to about 6 albums in my opinion, no more.
    They're at their peak right now. Even with the increased hype i really cannot see any of their albums succeeding 6 million.