Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Jim Watt, and he was hilarious, cracking jokes and signing photos for people in the boxing club. Met Glenn Mc Crory, another eighties boxer, and he was really pleasant, buying rounds and talking about his career. OTOH Alan Minter was invited at great expense, seemed completely disinterested, handed over a photo for the club and then went back to his hotel. Not so much nasty as a let down compared with the other two boxers.
    My sister met Will Carling in the early nineties and found him quite interesting to talk to, really keen to promote his sport and also interested in his guests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not well known unless you live in the North East, but I have met former Look North presenter Mike Neville twice and he is just as amusing and pleasant as he is on the television. It's no wonder he was so popular.
    OTOH the former Border Lookaround presenter Eric Wallace was pompous and full of himself. My mother accidentally bumped into him in the street and he said, " don't you know I am".
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    My mother accidentally bumped into him in the street and he said, " don't you know I am".

I can't believe people actually use that phrase in real life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe people actually use that phrase in real life!

Well this was back in 1978 and Wallace always seemed to be very pompous. I used to know the chairman of Workington FC and Wallace was on the board of directors for several years and he said Wallace was a complete t!"£er.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    But he writes the feem choon & sings the feem choon as well!

No he never wrote it, he just sang it, Gerard Kenny wrote it
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not well known unless you live in the North East, but I have met former Look North presenter Mike Neville twice and he is just as amusing and pleasant as he is on the television. It's no wonder he was so popular.
    OTOH the former Border Lookaround presenter Eric Wallace was pompous and full of himself. My mother accidentally bumped into him in the street and he said, " don't you know I am".

I would reply 'no I do not but as you seem to of lost your memory I call an ambulance for you''
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    No he never wrote it, he just sang it, Gerard Kenny wrote it

As in 'New York New York. So good they named it twice'?
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    But he writes the feem choon & sings the feem choon as well!

In Darkly Noon....;-)
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I would reply 'no I do not but as you seem to of lost your memory I call an ambulance for you''

Yeah, my Sis in law had a bit of a run in with David Weir who used to be a footballer. He asked the "don't you know who I am" question to which she replied, "have you forgotten?"
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when they use that "do you know who I am?" line. I don't care how big a star they are, they're not better than the rest of us. Cilla Black criticised celebrities who do it and she's the world's worst!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ The cabin crew forum where Cilla Black was being heavily criticised said that she would only communicate to them through her PA. Therefore, there's probably less of "Don't you know who I am?" and more of "Are you not aware that this is the iconic Ms Cilla Black?".
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I am only seeing this now. This happened at Earl's Court, not The Ivy.

I have sent the link to my friend so I'll wait and see what he says. He's not the type to lie and in his work has met lots of celebrities and usually has good things to say about them, even if his experience with them wasn't overly positive. Greg must have done something wrong to really rattle his cage, and the cages of the others working there as a lot of the other people were just as offended by his behaviour as my friend was.

If he was with his girlfriend then this might be why he flies into rages, he did it before when someone allegedly groped her and he lowered the tone of a posh hotel by grappling with the alleged groper and it was in all the newspapers, this was back in August last year though, but I wouldn't put it past him, the man sounds horrible
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    If he was with his girlfriend then this might be why he flies into rages, he did it before when someone allegedly groped her and he lowered the tone of a posh hotel by grappling with the alleged groper and it was in all the newspapers, this was back in August last year though, but I wouldn't put it past him, the man sounds horrible

Eh?

Someone gropes his partner and you take issue with his understandably robust reaction because it 'lowered the tone of a posh hotel'?

Sounds pretty much what I'd do to be honest, and cobblers to the posh hotel.

Pfft..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't meet them when I lived in Sheffield, but lived close to where Susanne Sulley( the blonde one) lived, but the Human League still chose to live in the city at the height of their fame. Apparently a uni friend was in the Nat West and Phil Oakey was standing behind him. He said hello to Oakey and Oakey nodded back.
    Not overly friendly, but decent enough and also interesting to see what was a major star in a queue in a bank rather than using a flunky with a gold card.
    Now I am quite sure I saw Ms Sulley driving a SAAB to a new housing estate as a few people looked across and she sort of smiled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Jim Davidson when I was walking my dog. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pig's ear and gave it to my dog.
    Top bloke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I lived in Sheffield in the eighties, it was quite common to see The Human League doing their shopping and going to the bank. This was one band who had absolutely no airs and graces and still live locally and are happy to talk to fans.
    Justin Bieber should learn about this. He is an arrogant, horrible young man who treated his fans like dirt on his last tour.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    I met Jim Davidson when I was walking my dog. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pig's ear and gave it to my dog.
    Top bloke.

Like you do! I assume he had a dog as well otherwise a bit of a random thing to keep in your pocket!
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I didn't meet them when I lived in Sheffield, but lived close to where Susanne Sulley( the blonde one) lived, but the Human League still chose to live in the city at the height of their fame. Apparently a uni friend was in the Nat West and Phil Oakey was standing behind him. He said hello to Oakey and Oakey nodded back.
    Not overly friendly, but decent enough and also interesting to see what was a major star in a queue in a bank rather than using a flunky with a gold card.
    Now I am quite sure I saw Ms Sulley driving a SAAB to a new housing estate as a few people looked across and she sort of smiled.

She is a nice person.

I met her when she was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.
  • matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dumpty2 wrote: »

That much is true :D
  • nerdgirlfromthek83nerdgirlfromthek83 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    She is a nice person.

She said once in an interview she never worked as a waitress in a cocktail bar.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone met Axl Rose? From a lot of accounts he is supposed to be obnoxious, but I'd love to hear otherwise.
    On a more contemporary note, woman at work met David Tennant when he was filming an episode of Doctor Who and said he was lovely and willing to talk to the fans.

This pretty much chimes with the accounts given of all of the DW/TW actors on the DW/TW Live journal forum all of whom appear to have been nice people willing to give their time to their fans. I know John Barrowman gets some stick on here but he appears to be generous with his time towards fans too.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Suggs at a book signing. He was lovely, polite and had a lot of friendly banter going on. Lovely man.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,983
    Forum Member
    She said once in an interview she never worked as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

I think it's widely accepted that she never worked as a waitress in a cocktail bar and anyone who believes that much is true is a bit of a muppet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I think it's widely accepted that she never worked as a waitress in a cocktail bar and anyone who believes that much is true is a bit of a muppet.

It was the lyrics of the song. Both girls were sixth formers when they were asked to join the band. Still, fame never turned them into arrogant monsters like Justin Bieber.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Met Dappy when I was on holiday in Magaluf, suprisingly nice bloke, took a lot of time to meet everyone that wanted a picture or a chat.