ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Where did you see that, out of interest? :)

Oh the grace that is you tube it was aired in finland (the first episode so far) if you search its probs still there.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shya100 wrote: »
    Oh the grace that is you tube it was aired in finland (the first episode so far) if you search its probs still there.
    Ah right, thanks! :) I think I saw it linked to somewhere on the internet the other day, but I wasn't sure if it was the same one. Now to hunt for the link...
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teflon 2 wrote: »
    I'm getting quite concerned now. Has anyone seen the band since episode 1? I thought at first that they were just being considerate and were keeping quite so that the irish couple could have their little "heart to heart" on the boat deck, but this week there's still no sign of them.

Then I thought that maybe they'd just stopped for a quick ciggie, but of course, no one smoked on Titanic.

Does anyone think they maybe played one too many verses of "O Sole mio" and got locked up with the rest of the Italians?
    BIB Huh? They smoked like chimneys on board! At least the men certainly did. Great fat cigars!
    So far the best theory yet for no band! In reality they started playing as soon as they knew there was a serious problem and kept on till the bitter end when they were washed into the sea - so Julian, pull your finger out! There def should've been strains of rag time and walzes which were fashionable at the time - like Lehar's Merry Widow walz. (A tad tactless at this time I'd have thought!):D
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Fact based' being the word. That is all they ever are based in fact. Fellows did what was asked of him. I really think the blame needs to stop being put on him, after all he was just hired like the actors. It fault lies with the producers and ITV. This isn't like DA they just went to him and said we want this can you write it.

Actually you're right - it is the producers etc who we should be blaming.
    I should amend my post (above) but afraid I can't be a*sed!!!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested :)

At 8 pm Discovery Channel

Titanic Conspiracies with Bernard Hill :)
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Huh? They smoked like chimneys on board! At least the men certainly did. Great fat cigars!

Yes, I think the point being ironically hinted at is that no such thing has been shown in the current adaptation. Another inaccuracy, and this one almost certainly deliberate which is lame.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    A little OT, but does anyone else get disproportionately annoyed by people (especially British documentary narrators) referring to the Titanic simply as 'Titanic'? This is something I swear I never heard before the 1996 film, so I assume it is an Americanism that has taken over. In all previous films and documentaries, the characters refer to the ship as 'the Titanic' (much as one would say 'the Queen Mary' or 'the QEII' or 'the Lusitania'. Heck, even the old Clive Cussler novel and film were titled 'Raise THE Titanic', not 'Raise Titanic'. Say your definite articles, people! :p
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    For anyone interested :)

At 8 pm Discovery Channel

Titanic Conspiracies with Bernard Hill :)

Bloody Bernard Hill doing it as well - and not even being consistent! He just said 'Before moving to Titanic, Smith had worked on her sister ship, the Olympic'! :mad::mad::mad:
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think the point being ironically hinted at is that no such thing has been shown in the current adaptation. Another inaccuracy, almost certainly deliberate which is lame.

Well, if the nanny state can remove the cigar from Isambard Kingdom Brunell's mouth in contemporary reproductions of the original classic photo of him standing in front of the huge drag chains...
    and cigarettes, pipes and cigars from photos of other famous people like Churchill....
  • DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    More goofs in the usual place. Sorry its lacklustre and late this week.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DrPL wrote: »
    More goofs in the usual place. Sorry its lacklustre and late this week.

can you repeat the link please!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can you repeat the link please!

I hope DrPL won't mind my linking to his site - I've been reading the updated goofs with relish, despite the fact that I've given up on the series and didn't bother with episode 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope DrPL won't mind my linking to his site - I've been reading the updated goofs with relish, despite the fact that I've given up on the series and didn't bother with episode 3.

Thanks!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Fellowes is on a hiding to nothing with "Downton All at Sea."

But surely he would have been aware of this?

There's enough detailed recorded information of; "Who? What? Where? When?" that's been available for the last 100 years, that even the smallest inaccuracy would have been seized upon. It was different with Downton Abbey as it's fictional.
    To suggest to the public that it was more accurate than Cameron's epic might be true in some circumstances, but still to be so wrong beggars belief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Fellowes is on a hiding to nothing with "Downton All at Sea."

But surely he would have been aware of this?

There's enough detailed recorded information of; "Who? What? Where? When?" that's been available for the last 100 years, that even the smallest inaccuracy would have been seized upon. It was different with Downton Abbey as it's fictional.
    To suggest to the public that it was more accurate than Cameron's epic might be true in some circumstances, but still to be so wrong beggars belief.

Hung with his own petard comes to mind!
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Bernard Hill doing it as well - and not even being consistent! He just said 'Before moving to Titanic, Smith had worked on her sister ship, the Olympic'! :mad::mad::mad:
    Titanic is a name, it doesn't need "the". A ship's name should be used pretty much like a person's name. Either "the Titanic" or "Titanic" are equally acceptable. But you're right that people should be consistent.

The incorrect usage that makes my blood boil is when people say things like "the HMS Victory". Either "HMS Victory" or "the Victory" would be fine.
  • DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member

My pleasure, glad you are reading them!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the gatti waiters were locked up, could be a rumour

There are stories, but nothing which has been proved that I am aware of, that stewards prevented the Gatti staff from leaving their cabins, not that they locked them up. This is in line with the other commentaries from Third Class about them not being allowed up on deck straight away.
    I don't think there is any actual proof of this happening and one has to wonder how two stewards kept around 60 men from leaving etc.
    A little OT, but does anyone else get disproportionately annoyed by people (especially British documentary narrators) referring to the Titanic simply as 'Titanic'?

Not really no, she was just called "Titanic" not "The Titanic" so I don't mind the lack of it to be honest.
    allafix wrote: »
    Titanic is a name, it doesn't need "the". A ship's name should be used pretty much like a person's name. Either "the Titanic" or "Titanic" are equally acceptable. But you're right that people should be consistent.

The incorrect usage that makes my blood boil is when people say things like "the HMS Victory". Either "HMS Victory" or "the Victory" would be fine.

Exactly :)
    'Fact based' being the word. That is all they ever are based in fact. Fellows did what was asked of him. I really think the blame needs to stop being put on him, after all he was just hired like the actors. It fault lies with the producers and ITV. This isn't like DA they just went to him and said we want this can you write it.

If he hadn't been such a supercillious prick over James Cameron's film version making all his statements about his version was going to be the definitive factual version and not just loosely based around a "romance" then no, I don't suspect he would have received as much vitriol.
    However, having made such a claim, to then produce this factually inaccurate toss with three on board romances makes him a prime target.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    DrPL wrote: »
    My pleasure, glad you are reading them!

You might have mentioned in an earlier post, but which books on the Titanic would you recommend? I'm interested in finding out more about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »

If he hadn't been such a supercillious prick over James Cameron's film version making all his statements about his version was going to be the definitive factual version and not just loosely based around a "romance" then no, I don't suspect he would have received as much vitriol.
    However, having made such a claim, to then produce this factually inaccurate toss with three on board romances makes him a prime target.

Don't hold back, now!:D:D:D
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else think Annie Desmond's character might be modeled slightly on Violet Jessop?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People thought it was fictional? #wtf?!?

Seriously, how do people not know this, at least from within the past few months where it's been basically everywhere?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, the innocence of youth!;):D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

How on earth can people be so spectacularly thick? :confused:
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the... seriously? :confused::confused::mad: