Android versions - why the difference?

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,239
Forum Member
✭✭
My Nexus 7 has just updated to to 4.2.2.

So why is my GEDified Xoom stuck on 4.1.2? I thought the whole point of GEDifying a tablet was that you got the latest Android updates.

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    My Nexus 7 has just updated to to 4.2.2.

So why is my GEDified Xoom stuck on 4.1.2? I thought the whole point of GEDifying a tablet was that you got the latest Android updates.

Is GEDifying just a custom ROM that someone has built ? If so it will be up to the Dev to update it.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i heard you should receive OTA update if you relock the boot loader. though i don't really know much about it.

i'd go to where you got the rom and see if there is another version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just gives you access to the american OTA updates.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Is GEDifying just a custom ROM that someone has built ? If so it will be up to the Dev to update it.
    GEDifying was "sold" to me as a way of turning the Xoom into a "Google Experience Device", rather than having it tied it to the whims of Motorola, so that it would get the latest updates direct from Google.

I received one or two updates, but I would have expected to receive the latest updates automatically as Google pushes them out.

Unfortunately, Simon J Stuart's website appears to be down, which is where the instructions were obtainable from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updates are specific to devices. All you have is a means to access the american updates. However I am not clear that an update for Xoom has even been made available as yet.