Samsung Smart Tv 2013 and Sky+HD intergration?

Hi, I'm interested to understand if Sky+HD integrates with the new Samsung Smart TV ecosystem? For example, will SRecomends pick up Sky channels? Can you change channels on the Sky box without using Sky remote, and if so can you schedule Sky recordings / view recordings via the Smart TV hub?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be very surprised indeed if the TV even knows there is a Sky box attached to it. Much less be able to integrate the Sky EPG into it's built in Freeview EPG.

If the Samsung remote is multi function it may have a code you can enter to control the Sky box. But some how I doubt it. Far more likely is the Sky remote being able to control the telly.

But the telly is essentially a dumb monitor as far as Sky is concerned. You will have to control the Sky box from the Sky box. There is unlikely to be any meaningful control communication between the two. Basically they will interchange audio and video signals and that is it.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is another one of those development like gesture control where the marketing hype promises so much but the reality is brutally disappointing.
  • BouffontBouffont Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I too am sceptical. But, the Samsung rep in John Lewis was explicit. He said the included 'ir extender' meant that you would no longer need your Sky remote, and that the telly knows which channel on Sky you are watching.

Take a close look at this picture - the main channel is Chelsea Tv which is usually a Sky channel, not available via Freeview of Freesat.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE50F6500SBXXU
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its Virgin Tivo you cant use with Sammy smarts, I understand Sky will work with the R/c, Sammy Smarts have 2 remotes including a touch pad and voice control.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd take a look over at the AVForums, someone mentions their smart Samsung doesn't do anything smart for their Sky TV http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-technology-smart-tv-3d-ultra-hd-4k/1775229-samsung-smart-hub-2013-a.html

Personally I'd be surprised if it did anything much regarding integrating SkyHD and the TV smart features.
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/GLQDZmx3Ork

This video seems more conclusive...
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it might allow the Samsung remote to change Sky channels but I'm not sure what else it'll do though?

Having watched that video I'm glad I don't install TV's any more :D
    Forum Member
    So it might allow the Samsung remote to change Sky channels but I'm not sure what else it'll do though?

Having watched that video I'm glad I don't install TV's any more :D

I know, I feel like I'm buying something closer to a PC than a TV!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,327
    Forum Member
    Bouffont wrote: »
    I know, I feel like I'm buying something closer to a PC than a TV!

I've not even bothered looking, but the whole idea sounds horrendous, madly complicated, and absolutely pointless.
    Forum Member
    I've not even bothered looking, but the whole idea sounds horrendous, madly complicated, and absolutely pointless.

Pointless? Except for the fact you get a new telly...
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,327
    Forum Member
    Bouffont wrote: »
    Pointless? Except for the fact you get a new telly...

There are plenty of new tellies you can buy without all that crap included :D
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole idea smacks of the industry scrabbling round to fill the gap between the flop of 3D and the coming of affordable 4K/OLED.

What irks is the idea of this "streaming for dummies / spoon-fed content". I didn't like it when I was with AOL many moons ago and I don't like it now, thanks. I mean just look at the Samsung advert...
    - "What are we watching?"
    - "Monkeys"

Jeez. What are Samsung saying?

"Hey, you waegukin are all like Homer Simpson. We make telly for you dumb people"
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg, played the linked video. Is this supposed to be progress? I would say this sort of installation is way beyond the average person. And what's that about typing in service providers. Even on my pc to connect to the internet all I need to do is plug in the network cord.