Fostering Dogs

blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
Forum Member
After losing our baby Amber at the end of November, we didn't think we would ever have another dog in the house so soon.

However we registered with Amber's breed rescue site (GSP) in December to see if there were any dogs needing loving homes.

Obviously both dogs and adopters need to be suited, and still not being really sure if it was too soon, we decided on Sunday morning( when we were out and about) that we would wait a while to let our broken hearts mend.

When we got home later that day, there was a message on the site to say that a young dog urgently needed adopting/fostering..

We just couldn't get him out of our heads so offered to foster him until he found his "forever home" (not the ideal situation for the dog, but better than him being where he was).

Well by 9pm Sunday night, He bounded into our lives, and boy what a joy he is!
Whilst it is still too early for us to give him a "forever home" we feel that we are helping this lovely chap on his way to a happy life.

He has helped heal our "wounds" a bit and made us realise, that, in the future, there is a place in our lives for a new baby.

Just thought I would share this with all you animal lovers.

Comments

• Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I get a feeling the little fella will be with you for the rest of his life.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you. I wish I could foster boxer dogs for my local boxer rescue but my flat is too small for two boxers. We do have a lot of failed fosterers though, who can't bear to give up their mutt and end up adopting them. :)
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great :D

Wonderful thing to do if you can, wonder if this young man might be a keeper though ;)

Wish I could but restrictions for fosterers are much the same for adopters, so no flats :(
    Shame really, I would have thought it would do some dogs good to learn to live in a flat, open up their rehoming options a little :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Good for you blossom and great for that little chap, he couldn't be in a better home!
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost three years ago - a student at my uni was desperate to rehome her lab as she was going abroad. An adoption family fell through at the last moment and with a few days to go - I offered to foster her dog for a few weeks only.

I can still remember the moment I first saw him in her flat - piled high with boxes - her crying as I walked away with him to the car. Poor mutt.

Yeah - of course - by the end of the first day I was in love - and still am. I am the worst possible owner for an energetic lab -but have a dog walker several times a week (I have mobility problems). In the meantime - he cuddles up on my lap - snores at the foot of my bed every night and adores me. I have no idea what I ever did to deserve my dog - but am so glad that fate brought us together.
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Just an update on our fostering situation.

The boy we fostered went to live with his new Mum & Dad just a week after we had him, he looked so happy playing with his new GSP brother that we knew it was the right thing for him.
    Very hard to let go and even though it was the right thing for him we were not sure it was the right thing for us! :(

His new parents keep in touch and send lots of photo's and you can see how happy he is. :D

We have just been asked to take on 2 GSPs tomorrow ( a boy and a girl) really looking forward to it and who knows what might happen!
    On saying that I have never had 2 dogs in one go so should be interesting!! :eek:
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think fostering dogs is one of the most worthwile things anybody can do. Of course you are going to get attached, it must be so hard when they move on to their new homes but you are making that happen.

Well done you :D
    Forum Member
    Thank you JJ.

Just awaiting the arrival of them now......bang goes my peace and quiet! :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blossom24 wrote: »
    Thank you JJ.

Just awaiting the arrival of them now......bang goes my peace and quiet! :D:D

Oh yes, its going to be bedlam!!! I dont think there is anything more beautiful than GSP's - I may be biased as I grew up with a GSD, she was the best "sister" :D
    Forum Member
    Hi JJ,

How are you coping after losing your boy?

I know its hard but I hope you are managing. :( xx

Would you believe it...the woman who was surrendering her GSPs has just text me, not rang, text, to say she has had some good news and can keep her dogs now!
    Can you believe it not even a phone call!!! :mad:

Oh well at least the little chaps will be able to stay with their mummy, which is good.

Onwards and Upwards ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, thanks for asking Blossom. Very up and down, one minute accepting that if cancer was his fate then thank god he didn't suffer too much. The next minute very angry that he didnt make it to his 8th birthday, and that he only had two years of the good life when he deserved so many more.

I think also its been really hard to accept he's gone as he was seemingly ok to us, fair enough he had a pulled "muscle" in his leg but that was it. Saying that, I had a weird feeling something wasn't right. Despite our limited time together, the impact he made was huge.

How rude not to call :mad: If that had been me I would have rang and explained why the circumstances had changed - some people eh!!

I'm sure there will be more coming you're way very soon :D
    Forum Member
    The bond between dog and human is, in my opinion, unique which seems to mean we know when they are very ill and they know when we are.

I'm sure he had the most wonderful two years with you and like you say, you didn't let him suffer. x

Very rude....still over and done with now, we'll just wait for the next one. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blossom24 wrote: »
    The bond between dog and human is, in my opinion, unique which seems to mean we know when they are very ill and they know when we are.

I'm sure he had the most wonderful two years with you and like you say, you didn't let him suffer. x

Very rude....still over and done with now, we'll just wait for the next one. :D

I totally agree. The bond is on another level from what it is with most other human beings. That may seem strange to some people but unless you have had that bond then you will never understand.

I look forward to your stories of puppies and madness very soon :D

xx
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone,

Just been asked to foster a 4 year old boy because his daddy has died. :(

We know very little about him, apart from the fact that he's a GSP and a bit shy....so we'll wait and see how tonight pans out!

We're also collecting (at 2am Tuesday morning) a little girl GSP who is coming over from Ireland.

We've never had two dogs together, let alone two dogs that we know absolutely nothing about so it should be very interesting! :eek:

I'll keep you posted.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I've fostered a couple of rescue lurchers - I fail as a foster mum, I wanted to keep both but the first had severe SA and the other wanted to nom my cats. The kids and I were so sad to see them go so I have taken the plunge and reserved my own forever dog - a wee whippet puppy. I adore sighthounds or pointy dogs as I call them! So gentle, affectionate and really lazy in the house. I previously owned a border collie and while she was a fantastic dog they are 24/7...Not suitable for my current lifestyle.

Looking forward to getting out walking in the woods again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Awww. Jk I think it's lovely for you to open up your home to them. Very worthwhile in the heart mending process too I should think. A guy near me does puppy fostering for hearing dogs, so has one from 12 weeks till 8/9 months, he's amazing I couldn't do all the hard puppy work and then hand them over, I'm too selfish, but he's on pup number 8 now!