Asus MeMo Pad 7 HD

BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone looking at the new Asus Memo Pad 7 HD? Seems like it might be a good alternative to the Nexus 7 when it eventually comes out... I keep seeing August, does anyone know when in August it will launch?

It's a shame about the UK rip off price compared to the US though - $149 US and £149 here

Comments

• Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a specific date has been confirmed yet. Asus' support/build quality isn't the best in my experience. I owned a Transformer TF101 which suffered bleed, creaks etc. and a TF300T which Asus didn't bother fixing when I sent it too them for creaks and banding (it came back worse). Both also suffered constant lag due to slow internal storage. If Asus can improve this then they may be onto something. I find their tablets look good on paper but are executed poorly.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone looking at the new Asus Memo Pad 7 HD? Seems like it might be a good alternative to the Nexus 7 when it eventually comes out... I keep seeing August, does anyone know when in August it will launch?

It's a shame about the UK rip off price compared to the US though - $149 US and £149 here

Do you mean this one? http://www.tesco.com/direct/asus-memo-pad-172-7-1gb-16gb-android-41-jelly-bean/454-9551.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=454-9551 or is there a new version with better specs?
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one (new version):
    http://eee.asus.com/en/memo-pad-hd-7
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »

That looks much better :)
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, there's no sign of a new Nexus 7, so I think I might go for this when it eventually comes out to replace my old iPod Nano.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I called Asus UK customer support yesterday and they wouldn't state a date nor would they confirm release as August.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my daughter who's birthday is at end of July. We go on holiday August 8th and wanted to get her a tablet before we went so she's entertained on flight etc.

If Asus can't confirm then its likely I'd have to buy an alternative. At moment I'm leaning towards an iPad Mini but the £269 is putting me off as she wants to use as an e-reader but my iPad 4 is rubbish in the sun.

Therefore looking at a more than capable tablet at c£160 and buying her a basic kindle so she can read in sun, in bath etc without risk of damaging the more expensive tablet.

I need the tablet to have a decent camera (5mp) and front camera, decent operating system and processor to surf web, apps etc.

Any ideas fellow posters or should I just wait for the HD7 that ticks all the boxes but leaving enough cash to get a kindle too?
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midsblue wrote: »
    I called Asus UK customer support yesterday and they wouldn't state a date nor would they confirm release as August.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my daughter who's birthday is at end of July. We go on holiday August 8th and wanted to get her a tablet before we went so she's entertained on flight etc.

If Asus can't confirm then its likely I'd have to buy an alternative. At moment I'm leaning towards an iPad Mini but the £269 is putting me off as she wants to use as an e-reader but my iPad 4 is rubbish in the sun.

Therefore looking at a more than capable tablet at c£160 and buying her a basic kindle so she can read in sun, in bath etc without risk of damaging the more expensive tablet.

I need the tablet to have a decent camera (5mp) and front camera, decent operating system and processor to surf web, apps etc.

Any ideas fellow posters or should I just wait for the HD7 that ticks all the boxes but leaving enough cash to get a kindle too?

If you want a cheap basic tablet you could look at:

The nook HD/ HD+
    Nexus 7 ( not basic but cheap)
    Asus Iconia B1
    Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0
    HP slate

If she wants to read, especially in her sun, I think your combination of cheap tablet and ereader is a good one.

I have a few tablets but always read on an e-ink device.

Not sure if you're aware but the Nook simple touch eink reader is on sale at the moment at £29.99. The kobo mini was also on sale at £29.99 but I think that has ended.

Edit none of those tablets have a 5mp rear camera. I think it's only the more expensive 7-8 inch tablets that have 5mp cameras like the iPad mini and the note 8.0.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Thanks Anika, will take a look at Asda tomorrow at the Nook
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen this for sale yet, or know when it might be available.?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is the updated Asus ME172.

So the ME173. Gets quite good reviews and could be as low as £121 if you look. Its also got the, near essential for this size, GPS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I think it is the updated Asus ME172.

So the ME173. Gets quite good reviews and could be as low as £121 if you look. Its also got the, near essential for this size, GPS.

:)

Ok, searched for Asus ME173, only place I could find it was very.co.uk at £129.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laptops direct I think was offering a £15 discount(£100 spend) via a £1 Which trial subscription.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    ME 173 is going to PC World / Currys and will be available instore from the last week of August.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok cool

Do you know how much it will be?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Ok cool

Do you know how much it will be?

£129.99
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flipper411 wrote: »
    ME 173 is going to PC World / Currys and will be available instore from the last week of August.

What's the difference between this and the new Nexus 7?

Which has the better specs?

Which ones the better overall tablet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    What's the difference between this and the new Nexus 7?

Which has the better specs?

Which ones the better overall tablet?

I think its probably closer to the original Nexus 7 spec wise, although it does have the welcome addition of a microSD slot and camera.

£129 isn't a bad price, so £70 cheaper than the 2nd gen Nexus 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising for a half price offer in a week or so.

:rolleyes:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Sounds promising for a half price offer in a week or so.

You cynic :D
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Thats a ridiculous price, RRP is supposed to be £149. Which is a rip off compared to the US price anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right on cue,

PCW and Currys now have it on sale reduced by £70.
    How nice of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very crafty lol

but its only the pink version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange.

The one I saw was blue.